BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Towing a vehicle

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 01:46 PM
Towing a vehicle

Was just informed from Discover Baja travel club that I am no longer allowed to tow my Jeep behind my 1 ton truck with my Lance camper on it while crossing the border into Baja. Said if you are driving a titled RV like a motor home it is OK. They said to unhook the towed vehicle in the US and drive it across. Said they have had many complaints from people being turned around at all crossings. Doesn't matter if it is on a trailer or not. Not sure what this crap is all about!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 02:21 PM

Regs change on occasion, may not make sense to us. Doesn't
seem much of an inconvenience to unhook before crossing.
Was an incident yrs. back, mainland, guy towing car with
MH, Mex motorcycle hit the towed car while it was being
towed. Cops said it was the fault of the towed car, since
no one was behind the wheel. It's Mex.
But come to think of it, what is the difference of a 1000
Race truck, being towed on a trailer by a Diesel 350 pickup?

[Edited on 9-26-2017 by sancho]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 15389  
Was just informed from Discover Baja travel club that I am no longer allowed to tow my Jeep behind my 1 ton truck with my Lance camper on it while crossing the border into Baja. Said if you are driving a titled RV like a motor home it is OK. They said to unhook the towed vehicle in the US and drive it across. Said they have had many complaints from people being turned around at all crossings. Doesn't matter if it is on a trailer or not. Not sure what this crap is all about!

This is sounding familiar. Back when Aduana started to get tough about vehicles in the free zone being exempt from the mainland sticker, it applied to only one vehicle. They were requiring a permit for the towed vehicle.

And, yes, if it was an RV with the 10 year importation permit, THEY were allowed to stay attached because the free zone exemption applied to one conventional vehicle.

The solution that was the easiest was to unhook the second vehicle and drive it across, assuming you have a second driver.

Sounds like confusion is reigning at the borders, again.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 03:03 PM

if you are not sure what that is about, you should have asked those who told you: Discover Baja should be able to answer your question.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

if you are not sure what that is about, you should have asked those who told you: Discover Baja should be able to answer your question.

I think it goes without saying.....ignore this idiot :rolleyes:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 03:29 PM

Goat, I've seen cases where the laws are interpreted five different ways from five different Aduana guys; all within a period of a few months.

Discover Baja is just passing along information that their clients have experienced or they have read about on message boards. They have no idea WHY. They are just trying to save their clients some grief at the border.

More and more, Mexico just wants the tourists who fly in, spend money at hotels and restaurants and shop at boutiques in official "tourist zones" like Cabo, PV, Cancun. They dont want cheapskate RVers or tent campers like many of us.

Bicycle tourists are probably even below that, in their hierarchy. :P

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 07:47 AM

What's up with the name calling Willard? Idiot really?
Just passing along information that really needs to be out there. Guess I will just keep it to myself next time.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 07:52 AM

Willard was not directing his comments to you

Just passing along information that really needs to be out there. Guess I will just keep it to myself next time.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 08:29 AM

I was defending your asking a simple question and getting a kocknock answer.....sorry you misunderstood :coolup:

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 08:53 AM

I see, no problem.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.