Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: it may end up being South to North
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 11:19 AM
it may end up being South to North

By this time I thought I might have gone already but from the other direction. I may have opportunity to fly in early jan'18 for a week or more
to Cabo. I'd rent a car and head north to explore. Are there any quirks/scams/risks (if you have a rental) that might be unique in this area? It is usually easy to spot a rental car apart from the sticker. Since this opportunity came up and checking to see what is new news in the region, no surprise some extra violence but just seems be be the in-house variety.

No particular destination or activities just safe and interesting, most likely just stay within the south border.... if you had suggestions at this time of year.

thanks

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 02:08 PM

don't know of any rental scams

come visit us in La Bocana for a real out of the way experience!

See Loreto - for their malecon and good restaurants
See Mulege - what an oasis, history
See Santa Rosalia for easy access to banks - good Chinese or chicken
See San Ignacio for the mission and amazing yurts and gas station

and voila! Take exit to Abreojos, have lunch at Juanitas on the malecon and then come north via Miguel Domingues street - saltflats and visit La Bocana. Cabañas on the beach are great and our B&B is also great (have to say that) and Les makes a mean breakfast and this is the last year he will be doing it.

If you still have time on your hands, I highly recommend heading to Bahia Asuncion after us....great town great eateries and Shari can show you around.

A week might not be enough time - welcome to bajanomad.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 03:25 PM

The few things I know about rental cars are: first, inspect your car carefully for dings/blems etc. before you drive off the lot and document them w/ the company so you're not charged for oopses you didn't create. 2nd, I've heard rental car license plates are distinguishable and can make you a 'mark' while on the road both by bad cops and crooks, so don't leave your stuff unattended or pilfer-able. Other than that, you should be fine. Over the years there were many 'car campers' on our little beach at Bahia Concepcion with rental cars having a blast.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 03:37 PM

An invite and itinerary already - thanks. Any place without a wikipedia page must be hiding something. So good enough for me.

took a few minutes to travel via satellite google - wow, so no traffic lights I'm guessing. This is baja stereotype to the max.

Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2017 at 07:05 PM

Whale if you rent in Cabo there are a few to look out for. Some agencies have been known to pull the usual scams on return. Its usually the larger companies and there's nothing the State Side branches or offices can do about it.

The ones that are known to be trusted are Cactus Rental Cars (the ones we always use). BBB and Dominic Rentals. Alamo as well. The best thing is to contact them directly through email and ask for a quote with insurance. No way around the insurance. We always use Cactus. for a compact car it's about 270 for 10 days with the insurance (varies on time of year). We've driven as far north from Cabo to San Juanico (7-8 hours) with a rental sticker without problems. Just don't leave anything in your backseat that looks like its worth breaking the window for like camera bags, etc… You will have a great trip. Don't worry and have fun. Lots of other Nomads can help with other details.

[Edited on 9-29-2017 by Beagle]
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 06:24 AM

One thing I do when renting a car in a foreign country is to take a picture of the front, back, each side, and the spare with my phone before leaving the lot. Make sure the car attendant is in the background of each picture.

Over the years I've had very few problems, but on a couple occasions the pictures have put an immediate end to them trying to scam me for dings. Reason I say take a picture of the spare is that one time I had them try to charge me for the spare saying the tire was different than what they gave me. I luckily had a picture of it. One look at my picture and that discussion was over.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 07:30 AM

Yes, be sure to check that you have a good spare and jack, be cognizant of your return time so you're not charged an extra day for being 1 hr. late. That happened to me once in Mexico - I was actually in their return lot sorting out my stuff for the flight home, but walked into the office 1/2 hr after the turn-in time - got charged $55 for an extra day + insurance. Rental was with Hertz - I emailed a complaint in the US when I got home, and got a refund. You do have some recourse with an international company. It's easy to shop online to get a good deal and make a reservation. I've not experienced bait and switch at the counter - my reservation rates are honored.
You might want to cruise through Todos Santos, and visit Cabo Pulmo for snorkling. Be sure you come to a complete stop at stop signs and don't speed going through towns (Ciudad Constitucion is known for its speed trap - nothng there anyway).
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 10:26 AM

Big Wooooooooo, wouldn't have thought about that, excellent idea on snapping pics at the lot before leaving.

Wilder - Pulmo sounds and looks even better than the other direction I probably would have considered.

------------
rental probably through a points program, I think it is Alamo.
You can get auto toll setup and GPS option. Opinions on those?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.