Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Questions about San Juanico
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 09:31 PM
Questions about San Juanico

Anyone know how long it takes to get from La Purisima to there? Looks like about 12 miles of it is dirt and 18 miles or so paved?

Is is worth going to the area around San Juanico? Any dunes in the area or near by?

Hotel ok?

[Edited on 9-30-2017 by JZ]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 08:15 AM

I think you are looking at the old road. From La Purisima, you want to backtrack south on Highway 1, then head west to Las Barrancas. From there, you can take 100% paved road north to San Juanico. You can take the old road directly from La Purisima, but it's not fast going. Ultimately, that old road meets the new paved road along the coast.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
I think you are looking at the old road. From La Purisima, you want to backtrack south on Highway 1, then head west to Las Barrancas. From there, you can take 100% paved road north to San Juanico. You can take the old road directly from La Purisima, but it's not fast going. Ultimately, that old road meets the new paved road along the coast.

I posted photos, kilometer markers, and maps as I covered this area last month. As before, just go the Baja Nomad Trip Reports forum (Trip #6).

[Edited on 9-30-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 02:14 PM

It would be a shame to get as close as La Purisima and not check out San Juanico. I did not drive the old road that connects to the highway, but it was used in the Baja 1k in 2014.

I like the town, but have not spent much time there. There are several hotels and B&Bs around, but the first two I checked did not allow dogs, so I slept in my rig on the beach.

The beach is easy, almost 2wd solid, but I was a bit surprised how high the tide came up on a calm night.

[Edited on 9-30-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 03:34 PM

The 12.5 is dirt? 4.5 and 20.6 paved?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 03:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
It would be a shame to get as close as La Purisima and not check out San Juanico.

I'm starting to think so. Plus I just watched a bunch of surfing videos from there. Kids are getting into surfing.

I'd love to find some dune to ride up that way.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
All the green route on DK's post is paved. Take care down in the estuary section, that may be damaged, has been in the past.

The old dirt route get pretty rough in the hilly section; last season had to drive through one rancho's yard/corrals because the origional route is blown out. I used 4WD (just to be sure) on the steep off-camber climb up to the small rancho.

I'd take the "green line!"

We poked around on the south side of the estuary, north of Las Barrancas. There's limited sand there, the dunes are vegetated and have weird laydown/snakey super prickly cactus at the beach bluffs, gotta be really careful walking around there in the dark!

[Edited on 9-30-2017 by MulegeAL]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 04:15 PM

Everything that DavidK highlighted in green is good pavement.

He also reported camping in some dunes between El Datile, and San Juanico, but I don't know how far north of S.J. they are. Maybe it is in his trip report #6. (edit) I found it on day #2, it looks like the dunes are 29 miles north of San Juanico on mostly dirt road.

When Ged and Dave and I traveled south from S.J. last Thanks giving, they left the highway and rode the beach somewhere near the blue car icon on the map that DK posted. I met them at the bridge that crosses the arroyo/river SW of La Purisima.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 05:55 PM

As others reported back (and is described in my trip report): paved. Lots of potholes in the 4.5-mile section, too! Few to none on the other parts.

The old dirt section [I labeled for you] "Original (dirt) road" is from the truck icon Red Arrow to the Red Arrow that is 4.2 miles from La Purísima. The dirt section is approx. 20 miles long.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 07:19 PM

Thanks guys. We are gonna do it.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 09:25 AM

a couple of miles north of SJ the dunes look doable. Riding on the beach and dune edges is really fun and goes endless miles. The old road was doable before the last 2 storms, but probably not now.
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 11:58 AM

whatever you do, DO NOT go next weekend. All of So Cal will be there...

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 12:27 PM

Found the dunes above SJ.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BFS  
whatever you do, DO NOT go next weekend. All of So Cal will be there...

:lol::lol::lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.