BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bahia de Las Angeles before Baja 1000 ?
jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 08:13 PM
Bahia de Las Angeles before Baja 1000 ?

This year's Baja 1000 starting Nov 14 is to be a bigger 50th event with prerunning starting earlier on October 20.
What is the impact in B of LA expected to be leading up to the race in terms of lodging, traffic, services, and general commotion?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 07:25 AM

In past years they graded the road BEFORE the race instead of after. Never could figure out why they did that.

The race cars are supposed to be able to race on bad roads, and it is preferable that they repair the roads right after the race.

Re your question,... avoid baja during the race. Peace will return after the knuckle draggers depart.

[Edited on 10-22-2017 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 07:56 AM

Right now things are pretty dead, no evidence yet of pre-running, but the window just opened. In previous years the only time it was packed was the day before, after and the actual race day. If you're driving on parts of the course it may be a different story.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 08:25 AM

A few years ago, I headed down the east side for the first time taking MX 5 to Chapala, then Bahia de Los Angeles on the back road to El Arco.

I did not follow this, or any other forums at the time, so I was unaware that the Baja 1k was using much of the route I had planned. I was one week ahead of the race, so I was sharing the road with a bunch of pre-runners and support vehicles.

for me, it added to the adventure, and it was fun meeting some of them at places like Coco's and BOLA, and at the finish line in La Paz.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 09:16 AM

Some people will pre-run a lot to get to know every inch of the course or at least the section they will be riding/driving. Most racers will pre-run the week (7-10 days) before the race so it's fresh in their mind. Pre-running in Baja Sur is less because of the cost of going so far down. Trophy Trucks and class 22 bikes have the most to gain since they are looking for the over all victory. Around race day is when the hotels begin to fill up with Ensenada the worse because of all the hoopla leading up to the race.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 05:38 PM

If your real question is "Should I go?" then the answer is an emphatic "YES!"
Sure there is congestion, probably some delays getting food and lodging.
Take your own, find a comfortable spot, enjoy the action.
And, by all means, stay off the race course, now during pre-running and especially during the race itself.
Staying away because of the crowds is like avoiding the World Series or the Indy 500 because of all the people.
I raced Baja for 12 wonderful years, and have spectated often since.
One year I took my 911 down and chased the race along the pavement and set up in a couple of strategic viewing areas. What a hoot that was.

As to the rather lame reference to "knuckledraggers".....
Last week I made a rare venture down to SoCal for a family wedding, and saw more knuckledraggers on the 15 South of Corona than I have ever seen during Baja races.
I guess you see whatever you are looking and expecting to see.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-23-2017 at 07:31 AM

We need all remember any knuckledragger is better and smarter then .A MT 666 Village idiot nomad also not a scared little rat.:bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.