BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting a TIP for a boat at the border
Aerodriver

[*] posted on 10-30-2017 at 06:49 AM
Getting a TIP for a boat at the border

I am taking a boat down to Baja by water from San Diego this week. I want to skip Ensenada and clear by water down in Cabo instead, and do the FMM Visa paperwork online and get a TIP in person. My question is, can anyone tell me where to go exactly to find the people that can do this at the Otay Mesa crossing? I have tried to look this up but I can’t find a reliable address or instruction on where to go and who to talk to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank tou
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 07:45 PM

Check the Lattitude 38 website

Es Todo Bueno
3464james
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2017 at 09:28 AM
TIP at border

In July I was confronted by the same question. I go through Mexicali and queried this board about the TIP process, to no avail. Therefore upon crossing, at Mexicali, I asked the nice agent at the border about obtaining a TIP for my boat and he referred me to another young man standing beside him. He asked me how long I was staying and I told him 5 days. He said I didn't need one but if I wanted one he would issue me one. He examined my boat registration and VIN, referred me inside to the same place that the FMM was issued. The agent inside stated that I didn't need a TIP but he would issue if I just wanted one. I really didn't want one but did want to be legal in his country. He laughed.

Therefore, at Mexicali, you can obtain the TIP at the same time you receive your FMM, same office different people.
Aerodriver

[*] posted on 11-2-2017 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info guys. So I went to Otay Mesa and walked across the border to the Vehicle Import office that is about a 20 minute walk from the border. I was able to get it. For anyone else with the same question, just remember to bring ALL ownership documents, registration info, and copies of all. I forgot copies but I was able to make copies next door of everything I had for 5 pesos. Took about 20-30 minutes at the office.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2017 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Aerodriver  
Thanks for the info guys. So I went to Otay Mesa and walked across the border to the Vehicle Import office that is about a 20 minute walk from the border. I was able to get it. For anyone else with the same question, just remember to bring ALL ownership documents, registration info, and copies of all. I forgot copies but I was able to make copies next door of everything I had for 5 pesos. Took about 20-30 minutes at the office.

They did not need to look at your boat to check the numbers? You gotta love Mexico.

John
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 02:27 PM

Looking to do similar one-stop for FMM and boat TIP at San Ysidro crossing with a trailered sailboat. Seems doable. Large area to park and turn the trailer at the west end, before turning south into the gates.

Thinking we will then have to go to the eastern most entry gate to get lined up for the X-Ray machine, does that sound right?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 02:48 PM

Yeah but when i tried that at 430am in a truck they came running over from the secondary area all bug eyed. I told them i wanted a visa and they made me drive thru and be inspected first then go over to get the visa. Xray was in-op that day. Good luck!

BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 11:27 AM

Is it possible to get the TIP in Tecate when I get the FMMs?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 05:28 PM

If I remember right, I did my TIP online and paid online as well. A lot like a mex fishing license. It's been awhile so I forget the details...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2019 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
If I remember right, I did my TIP online and paid online as well. A lot like a mex fishing license. It's been awhile so I forget the details...

Thank you Pacifico,I'll look into it.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2019 at 11:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

Yeah, I did the same and also like you I don't remember the details...
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 08:00 AM

apply and pay here
takes about 2 weeks
good for 10 years

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.