Mexican congress approves vote of Mexican citizens abroad

http://estadis.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/269618.html

I am really happy it got approved.
A sign of maturity of Mexican society.

[Edited on 2-23-2005 by aldosalato]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 09:50 PM

I am totally against this law, don?t know what else to say.

aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 06:26 AM

I agree that Mexico is letting off social tensions and a corrupt society letting many of its best people emigrate North of the border.
Anyway now it is time to reintegrate them into Mexican society since they are already so helpful with all the money they send to their family from abroad.
If we let Mexican abroad participate in Mexican political life we could even have a faster transfer of technologies, more investments and transform Mexico into a modern society in a very short time.

Now what is your point Jesse?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aldosalato
I agree that Mexico is letting off social tensions and a corrupt society letting many of its best people emigrate North of the border.
Anyway now it is time to reintegrate them into Mexican society since they are already so helpful with all the money they send to their family from abroad.
If we let Mexican abroad participate in Mexican political life we could even have a faster transfer of technologies, more investments and transform Mexico into a modern society in a very short time.

Now what is your point Jesse?

I simply don?t like a guy living in Kansas who has not lived in Mexico in 10 years and has no clue on whats going in this nation to decide my future.

If they want to leave, fine, but now they are not only being rewarded over there for breaking the law, now they want to vote here too!!!

I just don?t like it and think its not good for the nation.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
a guy living in Kansas who has not lived in Mexico in 10 years and has no clue on whats going in this nation

That's pretty presumptuous. A Mexican living in Kansas probably knows more than the majority of those living in isolated sections of Mexico. He would have access to media that they don't. I keep up with the politics of my country. What makes you think Mexicans don't?

A Mexican citizen's rights include voting. To deny them that right based on their geographical location seems petty. My government extends this right wherever I live. Why not the same for your countrymen?

Mexicans shouldn't be punished for leaving their country when it's their government who has forced their hand.

I'm amazed that this has happened. I'll bet the political parties are a bit nervous. :biggrin:

aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 07:38 PM

Still the law has to pass in the Senate.
And who knows what technicalities will come out before everything gets implemented.
In 2006 only Mexicans into US will be targeted for the vote. Not the other in the rest of the world.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
a guy living in Kansas who has not lived in Mexico in 10 years and has no clue on whats going in this nation

That's pretty presumptuous. A Mexican living in Kansas probably knows more than the majority of those living in isolated sections of Mexico. He would have access to media that they don't. I keep up with the politics of my country. What makes you think Mexicans don't?

A Mexican citizen's rights include voting. To deny them that right based on their geographical location seems petty. My government extends this right wherever I live. Why not the same for your countrymen?

Mexicans shouldn't be punished for leaving their country when it's their government who has forced their hand.

I'm amazed that this has happened. I'll bet the political parties are a bit nervous. :biggrin:

Dave, there is one huge reality that i hate to admit, Americans are far more proud and loyal to their nation than the average Mexican. If war betwen Mexico and the U.S. broke out for whatever reason, most americans living in Mexico would not think twice about supporting their nation, and i can?t say that is the same with Mexicans, who gladly and easily would switch loyalties for a greencard.

I know i have no real basis for disliking this law, but i just don?t.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 08:15 AM

[Dave, there is one huge reality that i hate to admit, Americans are far more proud and loyal to their nation than the average Mexican.]

Jesse, I think Mexicans living in the U.S. are very proud of their heritage, customs and traditions. I'm sure they dislike the conditions which made them leave. They send Billions of dollars back to family to help and I also think that by having the ability to vote would be another way they can help change things for the better.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 04:54 PM
Boy Jesse

I can't understand why Jesse would be upset over expatriate voters. He's stated before that the whole system is corrupt and the votes don't really count. If he believes that to be true, what does it matter who votes ? The election will still come out the way it was designed to. You can't have it both ways, Jesse.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 08:00 PM
my father was born in Kansas City, MO and grew up in Mexico

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
Consider the US angle.

We now have many little Mexican countries contained within our soil. Many Spanish-only speaking; little interaction with US culture.

Now they can vote and stay even more connected to Mexico.

Add in African-American, Muslim, Latin American, European...

The word "Balkanization" comes to mind.

Past generations of immigrants have largely embraced English proficiency and knowledge/love of State as badges of honor in assimilating.

We are rapidly creeping up on half our populace not having a real strong attachment/fondness for our culture.

Hmmm.

amazing that people have not slammed Iraq for letting Iraqis living in the US vote in their elections

many Mexicans living in the US would gladly trade their Mexican citizenship for US, others would not

let's not generalize

sort of like absentee voting--I do it, too

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 10:46 PM
Vote like a Democrat

Baja Vida, being a staunch Democrat, lives by the credo....
Vote early, vote often....
then recount until you win............

Baja Arriba!!
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 11:54 AM
interesting comment from a man

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Baja Vida, being a staunch Democrat, lives by the credo....
Vote early, vote often....
then recount until you win............

Baja Arriba!!

who once said a local city council was the best money could buy

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 01:00 PM

This law is not going to pass in the senate according to many who know the inn and outs of Mexico City politics, sorry for all of those that supported it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.