Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 10:06 PM
Earthquake off Loreto

Anyone feel the earthquake?
Ted
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 10:43 PM

I did, was sitting on the beach behind Loreto Shores and it felt like a two part shaker, not severe at all, but enough to get your attention.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 04:23 AM
Loreto offshore quake..

I am interested to know if there were any signs of a surge or wave action on the beaches? Did you Loreto residents notice anything that could be associated with the quake?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 09:19 AM

I watched the water for about an hour after the quake and saw nothing out of the ordinary. The ocean is flat this morning and there is no evidence of abnormal wave action.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 09:57 AM

So a tsunami isn't going to wipe out the Villages of Loreto Bay? One can only hope.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 10:41 AM
Dan

Did you notice the Earthquake being a "Roller Type" or Wave Action movement?
When vVrginia and I lived on the Beach North and they were always an up and down movement as oposed to the Shakers they have in Calif.

Looks as if Loreto is ready to take off again. I hope the locals will be able to keep out the "Cabo Bunch". It is still a good Town despite its Growth.
I think the many Canadians that do come to Loreto will tend to stay to themselves as they did many years ago. In all the years fishin out of Loreto I never talked to or had interaction with a Canadian out fishing.

Do you think that they will really Tear up the golf course and use the Water elsewhere?I don't think so!

Do you know who is doing most of the labor on the billages construction Projects?Local or out of Area?

Skeet/Loreto
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 10:41 AM
Dan

Did you notice the Earthquake being a "Roller Type" or Wave Action movement?
When vVrginia and I lived on the Beach North and they were always an up and down movement as oposed to the Shakers they have in Calif.

Looks as if Loreto is ready to take off again. I hope the locals will be able to keep out the "Cabo Bunch". It is still a good Town despite its Growth.
I think the many Canadians that do come to Loreto will tend to stay to themselves as they did many years ago. In all the years fishin out of Loreto I never talked to or had interaction with a Canadian out fishing.

Do you think that they will really Tear up the golf course and use the Water elsewhere?I don't think so!

Do you know who is doing most of the labor on the billages construction Projects?Local or out of Area?

Skeet/Loreto
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 12:14 PM

If I had to put a name on it, side to side would seem the most accurate. I was sitting at the time and my butt seems to be lacking in seismic terminology.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 01:10 PM

From the Lower California Guidebook by Gerhard & Gulick, on Loreto, pg. 154:

"... Much damaged by earthquakes, notably in 1877 when the (mission) tower collapsed, ...":o

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 01:26 PM

From 'Loreto, Baja California...' by Ann O'Neil, pg. 166 (from an interview with 90 year old Ester Murillo):

"My grandfather said the earthquake had occured in 1877 and was so severe, lasting over a MONTH, that all the people left Loreto... the land was shaking so they could not make a fire, that the earth was seperating and boiling water was shooting out, that they could roast corn on the ground. They said one child fell in a crack in the earth and was never found..."

Oh yah, that sounds like a great place... Did the Canadians read this before investing there, eh?

:rolleyes:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 02:03 PM

I agree, the Canadians should all settle in San Diego.
A-OK
Nomad

Mood: faded

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
I agree, the Canadians should all settle in San Diego.

Oooooh No you don't !!!
Send them east, they already have a liking to Arizona.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 03:45 PM

We left Loreto yesterday to go to Lopez Mateo to watch whales. Sometime around noon, while we were eating lunch in town (in Lopez Mateo) the four of us all definitely felt an earthquake.

On the way back, considering Loreto's history, we were hoping it was a small quake near Lopez Mateo, and Loreto (and our casa) would still be there. :)

Don
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 08:33 PM
Earthquakes off Loreto

As most of you know, the Sea of Cortez is the beginning of the San Andreas Fault which runs through east LA county and on North to San Francisco. It is what actually formed the Sea of Cortez. In the earthquake mentioned above, most Loretanos left for San Javier which is on a rock foundation and felt nothing at all. According to Ann O'Neal, in her book, the fault opened up wide enough to swallow the sea. Ann is a wonderful older woman who spent ten years of her life dedicated to research of the Loreto area. She is more knowledgeable than anyone I know when it comes to Loreto. One of the Grand Dames of Baja.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 10:45 PM

Here is Ann O'Neil in Feb. 2002. She was one of my guests at Viva Baja-3...

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 07:12 AM

the earthquake has been named Lola and it had a 3 inch tsunami.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 11:41 AM
After the quake

I would assume that it was followed by a hugh tsunami as the Pacific rushed in to fill the void. One must assume that there will be alot of earthquakes in Baja as the plates continue to push up the continents. I rode one out about three years ago while in Loreto. Being from So. Cal. I stayed in my cement block house and was facinated by the swaying of the block but had no damage. Excuse any spelling errors. Por Favor.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.