BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Host in Sacramento area Jan 2018 DONE DEAL :))
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 11-11-2017 at 09:05 AM
Host in Sacramento area Jan 2018 DONE DEAL :))

This is a long shot but maybe just maybe??

I have a college scholarship student who wants to learn/improve his very basic English.

I have a sponsor for his airplane ticket to Sacramento where I have a family who can take him in for week 2 of Jan. 2018 (he will live at a friend's winery) and another family who can take him week 3 and 4 of Jan. 2018. (they will take him to the snow goose festival).

Anyone out there want a 20 year old college junior studying industrial engineering who loves baseball, wants to see snow, is quiet and friendly? Want to be a Host Family during the first week of Jan (1/3 - 1/10)?

Alen is a great kid. He has NEVER been to the US of A but has a tourist visa and is ready.

rsz_summer_2017_visit_alen.jpg - 94kB

Alen april 7 2017.jpg - 60kB

[Edited on 11-12-2017 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 09:56 AM

Blanca, I will probably be in Grass Valley (about an hour north) about that time. I am not ready to commit for a week, but I spend a lot of time in the snow and could take him on a tour of the Donner Summit area.

I have toys to play with, like a bull dozer, chainsaws, 4x4s, and a sluice box (thar's gold in them hills!) but I need to know if your students travel with any sort of accident insurance.

I may also be in your area about then, depending on weather, skiing conditions and my condition by then.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 11:28 AM

Blanca, we seem to make a hobby of taking in excange students,
Sweden, Denmark, Brazil, France, Japan etc, we need to add a Mexican to our list.
Im in auberry, in the foothills above fresno , 45 minutes from Yosemite, 2 hours to the beach, snow just uphill from me. I can put him up - he could easily take Amtrac to Fresno, I can pick him up there, I could also drive up Sac as well , but alot easier and cheaper to throw him on the train, its a cool trip through the richest agricultural area in the world.

The college I work out has an extensive Industrial engineering program, I can get him a tour, maybe even a sit in if he was interested. Baseball team will be practicing, but have no idea if I could get him in there for a workout or 2.

[Edited on 11-11-2017 by caj13]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 03:28 PM

newbie comes to the rescue! hot diggedy dog! I can check into flights to Fresno....yowza

Please send me an email so we can coordinate better:

portella.blanca@gmail.com

AK gringo we need to talk more! You sure have a lot of toys!!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 04:01 PM

insurance - great question

can anyone recommend some insurance for a 20 year old that isn't going to take me to the cleaners?

Come visit La Bocana

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 04:40 PM

sent you my contact info via email, can;t help you much on insurance, guys I've had in the past were part of organized programs, came wrapped in insurance as part of the deal.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
insurance - great question

can anyone recommend some insurance for a 20 year old that isn't going to take me to the cleaners?

I can't help but think of the foreign exchange student in San Diego about five years ago, that got a bill for almost 144k for a snake bite!

I will stay in touch, maybe Alen would want to spend a couple of days up here in the foothills while he is visiting in Sacramento.

It isn't just a 'Tool Time' macho thing playing with chainsaws. I have a couple of dozen beetle killed pines I want to take out before next fire season.

I am not looking for free labor, I was just thinking that he might want to at least be along on a mini logging operation (weather permitting)

If he is a surfer, he may want to try snowboarding. I have a season pass at Sugar Bowl, a Donner Summit ski area started by Walt Disney back in 1937. I would comp his ticket and lesson, but do you think his English is up for something like that?

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 10:05 PM

I don't think his English is more than very, very basic as he has been at college and not studying with Blanquita for years now. Nor does he surf as far as I know. Once everything is finalized, we can all make decisions on where he goes.

He is so slight ofbuild, I find it hard to imagine he can even hold up a chain saw .....pictures requested if he ends up holding one!

I have to work in the insurance part still and I have another student who will be heading to San Diego. I have a school set up for the month of January but need a host family???

Anyone have a contact in San Diego???? Someone with easy access to downtown which is where Converse Language School is located. Ramiro also loves baseball too.

Come visit La Bocana

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 07:57 AM

this is another reason Baja Nomad is great....people helping people north and south of the border! I think these home stays are super valuable part of broadening a student's horizons and it will possibly motivate him to learn english. Plus hosts get to learn spanish too...win win for all! Good luck Blanca.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 08:42 AM

Thanks Shari and Alen is 100% handled! He is going to have the experience of a lifetime!

I sure wish I could be a fly and follow along on this incredible trip. Yes, there is so much to share between our two countries.

I would love to send someone to Canada but whoaaaa -- tickets are sky high expensive!

Come visit La Bocana

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 09:02 AM

Glad things worked out! By the way Blanca, I looked at the baseball photo, and it looks like his team are the 'Oysters'? That would be one weird mascot!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.