Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A couple of Boat Questions
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 01:22 PM
A couple of Boat Questions

Ok guys, so lets say i have a place in Baja, obviously i want a boat, and I plan on keeping it at the casa!

In thinking about that, it seems to me an affordable option is to get a nice inboard motor boat, maybe with an Iron Duke, or a carbed chevy 350 in it, the idea being it is very dependable, and if it does break, its always easy to find parts and mechanics familiar with those engines. i know I'm giving up some internal space, but i'm not real keen on the prices of the outboards right now, and 95% of the trips (fishing and diving mostly) would be 4 or less people.

any feedback on that idea?

and if i plan on doing that - and buying the boat in the USA , I assume i would need a TIP? which would mean I would have to haul it back across the border every year? (i'm looking south - 300 - 500 miles south of the border)

experience and knowledge and opinions are appreciated!
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 02:02 PM

A few comments for you: I am assuming this boat will be on a trailer? If so, with an inboard you will have some issues launching and retrieving because of prop clearance. With that in mind it would be more practical to go with an outboard or outdrive. Also better for towing because of ground clearance. Not sure were you will be, I am in Loreto, so getting work done is much easier than it used to be. Also keep in mind beaching the boat at island areas would be more practical.

To my knowledge you do not have to haul the boat back every year. I have 2 boats with TIPS in Baja , they stay there all the time. My last boat is a 25 ft Davis. Bought it in California, but took delivery outside 3 mile limit. So never had to register in California. Took it to Loreto, with a TIP, and registered in Loreto.

Hope this helps....
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 02:12 PM

-Your TIP is good for 10 years. You wont have to bring it back during that time unless you choose to do so.
-Lots of mechanics in Baja can work on outboard motors, too.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 03:39 PM

I never took it to Baja, but for years I had a tri-hull ski boat with an open bow. It was powered by an in-line Volvo six cylinder coupled to a stern drive. It was an extremely versatile, reliable, stable and economical boat, and couldn't be easier to work on. It was not the best in rough waters though!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 05:34 PM

Outboard.
Boat over 15’ needs a TIP good for 10 years.
Drag it down and enjoy!

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 05:44 PM

I like outboards for the landing clearance, you can tilt them out of the water when not in use, they hold up better to the salt water and they clean up easier. Salt water in the engine compartment is not good.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 06:46 PM

thanks for all the input so far. I understand the advantages of the outboard, but I have a really hard time paying 10 - 15K for a new motor. I can literally buy 6 or 7 pretty nice inboards boats for the price of that motor.

probably best compromise would be the outdrive, those can be picked up very cheap. and yeah, that Volvo would definitely be on my radar.

we will have a little zodiac as well, so that may moderate some of thec beaching/ landing issues in some cases
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 09:35 PM

I bought a new Bayrunner Baja 19' with a Honda 50. It lived on the East Cape for 15 yrs that I owned it and still lives down there. I now own a 24' Bayliner with an IO in WA. Wife and I could easily launch & retrieve the Bayrunner over less than perfect ramps. The 50 hp engine at "times" was a little underpowered but over all the light weight of the boat enabled the engine to perform great 90% of the time and gas usage was excellent.

The Bayliner w/IO requires a hard surface ramp and 4 wd is handy. Easier to have a dock to get in and out of the boat. Outboard is easy to self service, IO at times requires pulling the engine, more complicated for oil changes. If I knew when I bought this used boat what I know now, I would not have bought an IO! Remember, this is in civilized WA. In Baja, for me, no IO! Good luck, FF
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 09:48 PM

Outboards are easy to work on and lot of local mechanics know their way around an out board . And are easier to launch and beach.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 10:14 PM

Well, some folks have mindsets on what they want/think they need but, oh those Honda outboards!! Mines an'02 and runs like new and the electric start is 100% instant. My method for saving and buying used is to buy thru a dealer with crackerjack mechanics that warranty. My guy grabs me by the throat, holds a Glock 9mm to my head and says "You vill drain zat carb completely, ya?"
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 10:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
Well, some folks have mindsets on what they want/think they need but, oh those Honda outboards!! Mines an'02 and runs like new and the electric start is 100% instant. My method for saving and buying used is to buy thru a dealer with crackerjack mechanics that warranty. My guy grabs me by the throat, holds a Glock 9mm to my head and says "You vill drain zat carb completely, ya?"

Yep!!! I have ancient Johnson outboards---a 10 horse ('64 vintage) and a '78 15 horse, and I ALWAYS run out the gas in both after each use. Never had any problem starting them, even after months, or even years, of non-use.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 10:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
thanks for all the input so far. I understand the advantages of the outboard, but I have a really hard time paying 10 - 15K for a new motor. I can literally buy 6 or 7 pretty nice inboards boats for the price of that motor.

probably best compromise would be the outdrive, those can be picked up very cheap. and yeah, that Volvo would definitely be on my radar.

we will have a little zodiac as well, so that may moderate some of thec beaching/ landing issues in some cases

You say you already got a zodiac/motor,...

For second boat You should take up kite boarding. It’s cheaper, and good exercise.

Or look at getting a sailboat. A good day-sailer is relatively cheap, and in my opinion a whole lot more fun.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

You say you already got a zodiac/motor,...

For second boat You should take up kite boarding. It’s cheaper, and good exercise.

Or look at getting a sailboat. A good day-sailer is relatively cheap, and in my opinion a whole lot more fun.

Goat another opinion not asked for

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.