BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: route to Mulege? 5 or 1?
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 07:47 AM

Just returned Wednesday this week on Mex5. A guy in a new Beetle convertible made it from Gonzaga to Mex1. A race mechanic stopped to help him and was zip tying his front bumper back in place near the tire shop. The guy was German and was determined to get to La Paz that day.
Also; I honestly don't know how those big rigs make it through.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
I've done 1 maybe 12 times. So tired of the Ensenada and small farm town grind but like the cool temps and hotels/restaurants.

Where to stay with dogs on 5 that is nice and has food nearby?

San Felipe. Many motels and restaurants... it is a vacation city.
The entire Highway 5 from Mexicali to Laguna Chapala (Hwy. 1 jcn.) is only 240 miles (5 hours). Gonzaga Bay area also has rooms with meals nearby (Punta Bufeo, Alfonsina's, El Sacrificio).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Just returned Wednesday this week on Mex5. A guy in a new Beetle convertible made it from Gonzaga to Mex1. A race mechanic stopped to help him and was zip tying his front bumper back in place near the tire shop. The guy was German and was determined to get to La Paz that day.
Also; I honestly don't know how those big rigs make it through.

They just drive really slow!

[Edited on 11-19-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Ok guys, taking a scouting trip. headed for Mulege area. pretty much 6es if I go through san diego / tijuana. or el centro mexicali.

how are the roads - ie is 5 a good road. or am i better going all the way down on 1?
i would like to go through san felipe and continue south from there, but not sure if I put myself in a bad road situation if I keep headed south on 5?

and crossing wise, i suspect tijuana is a bigger headache than Mexicali? but i have no idea. So i figured ; why not ask the experts!

There are at least three recent threads about Hwy. 5. Unless you search out the others the same questions get asked.

Time goes by quickly, but they are working so slowly on this my photos from 3 months ago are probably the same as you would see today:

AUG. 13, 2017 NEWS
NEW ROADBED OPEN!

In the 2 weeks since I was last on this route, barriers blocking the new highway elevated roadbed (south of the original road) were removed and other cars were on it. During construction, these detours could very well change back.

Mile 0.0 Hwy. 1 & Hwy. 5 Junction, 1:58 pm.
Mile 0.9 Fork right onto new roadbed.
Mile 3.5 original and new roads rejoin.
Mile 5.2 off of new roadbed.
Mile 8.0 Construction camp, leave new road alignment and head for Coco's Corner.
Mile 12.9 Coco's Corner 2:36 pm
Mile 16.8 Las Arrastras 2:45 pm Rejoin new road route.
Mile 22.3 On pavement and new bridges.
Mile 23.2 Km. 167 (just north of previous pavement start.
Mile 35.5 Km. 147 Gonzaga Bay Pemex, 3:12 pm

Paved bridge, new section, Chapala Valley.

New section, Chapala Valley.

Can you imagine how Arturo Grosso made the first road through here, in 1955? Picks and dynamite!

Here is where the highway leaves the original route (northbound) and shoots straight to Las Arrastras, bypassing Coco's Corner.

Nearing Coco's Corner.

Here at Las Arrastras, is where the new highway returns to the original route, on the north end of the Coco's Bypass.

Old and new routes criss-cross a few times.

Gonzaga Bay, dead ahead!

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 05:26 PM

Never saw a vehicle description on this thread?

So happy to not drive the 1 from chapala anymore..makes the day one drive south so much easier

TT
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 06:24 PM

Grab an exceptionally large handful of talcum powder and splash it on you naughty bits. You’ll survive, I promise!

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 06:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
Never saw a vehicle description on this thread?

So happy to not drive the 1 from chapala anymore..makes the day one drive south so much easier

TT

depends on how adventurous i am feeling. If I want the complete adventure, it will be in a rangerover defender 110 tithonis, outfitted with bed and camping set-ups. Trouble there, a whopping 86 HP 4 cylinder diesel (on the good side - all mechanical). Top speed, about 104 KM / Hr 62 mph)

other option is to do it tourista style - AWD Honda CRV
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 07:07 PM

Bigger is better

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-1-2017 at 10:05 AM
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.