BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What to do with them pesky beggers?
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 10:09 AM
What to do with them pesky beggers?

One of the dilemas that has haunted me since forever and is a most front lobal battle since I have been in Oaxaca is the street beggers and whiter to help, sure can't help them all, which ones then, or none at all?

There is all these signs solisating servents, the ones that are not handicapped surly could work? What about the stories about the guys that drug their little sweet childeren so that they will stay on their laps and sleep all day and make for easy symapathy? Than there is the beggers that give me the "hey you, give me some money gringa look in their eyes as they give me the give me wave, you know the one with bent fingers moving back and forth from me towards them as there heads nod upwards and back. The truly handicaped, the really pathic one with his arm all shinning infected, he lets it hang out there so you don't miss the opportunity to feel sorry for him, that is for sure. There are now 2nd generation beggers in Oaxaca, young couples met on the street as children of beggers who now have children of their own and continue in the tradition of making ME feel guilty. That's right, I take it personal, I think it is about me and wish they would all just disappear and quit making my walk down the street full of inconvient No's and guilt ridden eating of an icecream cone as I stroll along for chrine out loud.

Well, of course I know it is not about me, it is nothing to do with me, it is their fate in life, or maybe in some cases their choice, they are there whiter I am or not. Most the time the best I can do is not judge them, and not be overwhelmed by their existence, pass them by and in my heart wish them luck and well, there is nothing else that I can do about it, no one short of Bill Gates could take on the burden of feeding every begger in the streets of Oaxaca for even one simple day.

Still, I learn from the people around me; my friend Cristina, the lawyer, grew up here, she sez the beggers remind her to be grateful for the upbringing she has had and the pleanty of good food that is always at her disposal, she does not feel guilty and she does not give out spare change. She advises me if I want to help someone, vounteer my time, there is always a need for vounteers at the local street kids shelter, the womans shelter, etc....

Than there is the issue of if I gave all my money to beggers, I would have none left to give a tip to the waiter who is working for a living, or buy a skirt from some one and provide a living for the salesperson and seamstress in the process. Or even the kid on the street that is selling candybars and vitamen C, or the lady selling flowers. I have on occasion found myself without the change to buy flowers from some poor soul because I gave it to a begger a block up from there. It surly is not fair to deny folks who are working for a living money because I spent it on a begger, for crine out loud, what do I do?

Oh que, so the best I can do is take each situation as I pass one at a time, not break my heart over what I can't change. I was walking down the street the other day and just ahead of me was a little middle aged lady with those run down tired black pumps, a little on the seen it's better day a while back poyester dress, her hair cut and combed the neat way a poor person does that knows how to live and take care of her daily needs with in her minamal means. I note that she is a kind woman, of compassion, as she drops a peso in a beggers cup. Certainly, she does not help them all, but even though she is without a doubt of limited means she helped that one and in the process reminded me that is o.k. to drop a coin here and there, and in my heart give thanks for what I have and wish luck on those who I can't help.

Today as I walked up to the market for my daily man do I eat good green jucie, fruit and blessings of a smile from Geri and Lupe; I was short half a block up to Sta. Carmen's church when a thin worn sad woman spare changed me for a peso so that she could buy a taco and the vision of the kind poor woman who can give a peso crossed my mind and I dug in my pocket and pulled out 3 p's., thinking at least the begger woman was half way to a good taco with these. She walked briskly ahead of me and entered the church to give thanks and maybe ask her virigin for help in getting the rest of what she would need to eat that day? I watched her pray as I passed the door and crossed myself to give thanks (always) and continue on my way. I got half way up the block and remembered that long ago lost opportunity to make my own and someones day. That early dawn mass in San Miguel, the worn sad begger in the pew in front of me that I had wanted to give the Sor Juana $200 peso note blessing to and hadn't. And well, the virgin was giving me yet another opportunity to full-fill this vision, here she was and you know what I did? I entered the church, and walked up to the begger and told her that her Diosito had heard her pray and had sent me to pass on Sor Juana de la Cruz (in form of a $200 peso note) to help her along in her day. Her eyes welled with tears as did mine and we were both equally grateful for this opportunity to fill my need to give and her's to receive.

I surly can not take them all on, not even a spit in the bucket can I do, but once in a great while, I can make the difference in someones day and faith, and buy my roses and tip the waiter right, and pay for internet, I can certainly fill their's and my need. At least wise to day anyway.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 02:22 PM
What to do?

Sara,
Sadly for me amy years ago I had a Mexican Customs friend take me up on the hill, behind the businesses south and east of the border. We had been talking about the poor Indians from down where you are. He showed me how they collected money, fruit, etc and then walked over behind a little park--not there anymore AND turn their earnings over to a 'Real Mexican.' My friend told me it was that way at every border crossing he had ever worked at.

So Sad. I tried following the beggers in Alcoplka (her I'm larnin to spil like you) and found the same thing.---

I still drop a little money in the hand for the young ones who try to do something to earn their pesos--like juggling, playing an instrument or singing. They still have a gleam in their eyes and I can't resist. Still I would agree with you that most coin should go to those proud ones who earn it

Sara said,"Than there is the issue of if I gave all my money to beggers, I would have none left to give a tip to the waiter who is working for a living, or buy a skirt from some one and provide a living for the salesperson and seamstress in the process. Or even the kid on the street that is selling candybars and vitamen C, or the lady selling flowers. I have on occasion found myself without the change to buy flowers from some poor soul because I gave it to a begger a block up from there. It surly is not fair to deny folks who are working for a living money because I spent it on a begger, for crine out loud, what do I do?"

A real troubling spot to be in.

With a heart like yours it is a wonder that you have enough for a roof and food for yourself.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 08:04 PM
True Stuff Sara

How can we ever know how best to help in a wor'd that seems destined to need.

Following is an excerpt I wront when leaving Baja after a gathering in San Felipe several years ago:

"As I passed slowly through the border at Mexicali, nearing the head of the line and alongside the yellow concrete barricades, an old woman, dressed in filthy rags, extended a paper cup and a box of "chicles" toward me. Her eyes were cast down; so were mine as I pushed a bill into the cup. She insisted I take, in return, a small packet of plastic-wrapped red-coated gum. Somewhere, here, our eyes met. Hers were tired and worn down, but strong; she was a survivor, over perhaps 70 years, of a hard life. I could see that strength, could almost touch it, almost add it to mine and share some of mine with her. She smiled as I received her gum and we thanked each other. It seems I was destined to share my trip with strong people, some in unexpected forms. The old woman's gaze affected me so that I only wanted to turn around and stay longer where my heart was, where it belonged."
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 08:18 PM
the final analisis

http://www.wowzone.com/final.htm
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 08:51 PM

Just politely hold up your index finger and move it back and forth vary slowly about 3 times and they wont say a word. this is what all the Mexicans do. and it works every time . this even works at the border crossings , and gas stations when you don't want your windows washed.

I did not say the middle finger.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 01:45 PM
Beggars

My husband was a child beggar in Puerto Marquez the next town south of Acapulco. He was separated from his mother and pretty much raised himself. A kind family took him under their wing and arranged a fake birth certificate so he could go to school. At the time he was too old. He went as far as about 6th grade and dropped out, took odd jobs. One day at a taco stand he and some friends were watching TV. They saw a promo for Baja California Sur that said workers of all kinds were needed in the new city of Cabo San Lucas. At the ripe old age of 16 he found his way to Puerto Vaillarta and took the ferry to CSL where he worked in construction and other jobs. Eventually he found his way here and the rest is historia. You never know. I say just follow your gut feeling. I know I can't give to all of them but I do the best I can and give where I feel its most necessary and within my own means. That's it.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 01:56 PM
Sara.....

Well, what I do is bring them home......WRONG! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! If funds permit....bring them a taco, some milk, a smile if that is all you have to give. "give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime" I know I screwed that up but, you get the gist. :)
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 04:04 PM

What I do is keep some small change in a pocket and dole it out in Dibbles. Doesn't help anybody much, but doesn't cost me much, either.

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 04:05 PM
God bless Youall!

The stories and things said in these Posts are as God Intended.
One Peso is a lot to a poor person or Beggar. Keep in mind as you go out into the street to give so much money each Day, then try to give it to a different one every Day.

I met a young Man with no Legs on a board with Scooter wheels who for many years camped in front of "Ceasars' in TJ. i became Aquainted and he told me that on some good days he would clear $50{1970's} I ask him what he did with his money and he Replied"After I feed my self I give it to the Poor People"!
For many of the first years around Loreto, We did not have any kids even asking for "Dulce'.Now I understand that there are several Kids asking to help unload Pangas for Tips.

All of you, Go with your heart and keep helping as you Do, it does not have to be a Lot of money. It is the Act of Giving which God blesses, no matter how small or Big.

Skeet/Loreto
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 07:19 PM
Ya just never know,

it is an interesting insight to get the drift of what different folks perspective on this unresolvable issue. I long ago gave up on finding a solution for all the hunger in the world and all the thrown away resources. I can't change it, but I can always rememeber that kind poor woman dropping a peso in the cup, she will be my mentor in regard to this issue.

I expect that one of the reasons that I take it so to heart is that I too was once one of those kids; On the streets of San Fran, way back when, panhandling for enough to buy a can of pork and beans, (10 cents than), or some fish and chips for a quarter you could fill up. I use to stand in front of a fancy hotel resturant down on Market St., where there was this niche with a window to view a giant piece of beef on a spit turning around and around and cooked by flame, very similar to how they do carne pastor here, someday I always thought, someday I am going to eat the biggest chunk of beef, boy was I skinny and hungy back than. Never forgot those times, the hunger, the didn't have an idea of how to feed myself but taking it all in as life was an adventure and that was in it's own odd hard way, fun too. Glad I been there and done that, glad I don't have to go back.

Buenas Noches Ya'All, Sara

[Edited on 2-26-2005 by Eli]
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 07:51 PM
carry a bunch of single bills with you

even if a scammer, that person needs the money more than we do

even if half of the people need it, you come out ahead

and give $ to la Cruz Roja

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 08:24 PM
Sara

Wow! This is getting scary because you are finally opening a part of your life that somewhat muted has made what a
a wonderful person you have become. This is where you should start your book---or should it be in Coyote where Don Jimmy left you to learn and grow.
I am always amazed at how divergent the beginning of our lives were and how closely they have come together as we have survived and grown. Our lives seem to meet much like those plates that so many say cause earthquakes as one slides under or over each other.
Lady there is no way you can draw or paint that which we have both experienced. I would not even try to write about it but with your style you may manage it--Should you do that we and the world will be held spellbound.

For the voyeurs out there--no! there is nothing of that nature going on between us. I believe that we both feel very strongly when we experience contact with others--Hey! Mike I would/do include you in this hurtful experience.

Pinto beans and water--no bacon or meat three meals a day for six months.
A Mexican family down the street took me in and gave me Flour Tortillas and tomatos for lunch---You know that even as I write this my digestive juices begin to flow. Without a doubt the best meal I have ever had. Edited--and that was over 50 years ago.

[Edited on 2-26-2005 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.