Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: La Rumorosa road used in Licence to Kill
Mjd78
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Here's what some of dirt Rumorosa looks like -- not a good place to get complacent.

That’s what I’m looking for! That and the spot where Timothy Dalton lights Robert Davi in flames haha! That might take a bit of exploring though!
Mjd78
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Here's what some of dirt Rumorosa looks like -- not a good place to get complacent.

That’s what I’m looking for! That and the spot where Timothy Dalton lights Robert Davi in flames haha! That might take a bit of exploring though!
Mjd78
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 01:08 AM

Does anyone recognize that big white tower on the mountain or this location? Would it be looking towards la rumorosa from Mexicali? The road is dirt and wide and it looks like it is relatively straight. Any thoughts?

84583328-2538-4DB9-85BA-4A1D23DDABA2.jpeg - 74kB
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 03:22 AM

I think the tower may be on the aqueduct at this point:
32°35'43.73"N 115°57'2.87"W
It seems the tower is no longer in an upright position.
View from the west, looking eastward. Approx. view location:
32°35'50.63" N 115°58'10.84" W
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 07:55 AM

The water tower (vent) is still standing. On Google Earth, objects are distorted from certain angles... Just circle around them...Notice the shadow of the tower, which is taller than this image shows.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 08:05 AM

That may not be the same tower, as the GPS points are different...
Here is the next vent tower, going west:

Again, notice the shadow length to more accurately gauge how tall this is.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 08:21 AM
Water Tower #3

Up close... still standing. It is just hard to see on Google Earth!

water tower-3.jpg - 138kB

This is almost over the top looking down! Shadow off to the lower left. Pumping station way down the face of the little mountain.

Mjd78
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Up close... still standing. It is just hard to see on Google Earth!

This is almost over the top looking down! Shadow off to the lower left. Pumping station way down the face of the little mountain.

So that is to the north of the toll roads? It looks in the picture that I posted that there is a wide dirt road tat descends from there into The Valley towards Mexicali. On google maps, it looks like it might be Carretera a La Rosita. It make its way down the mountain north of the highways near what appears to be a water pipeline.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 10:38 AM

There are lots of dirt roads in Baja! This water pipeline was a major construction project. Yes, it is north of the highway and south of the border.

Also, there is a gasoline pipeline installed just south of the highway to deliver fuel to northern Baja. It runs between the highway and the north end of Laguna Salada.

Mjd78
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 12:17 PM

There are lots of dirt roads in Baja! This water pipeline was a major construction project. Yes, it is north of the highway and south of the border.

Also, there is a gasoline pipeline installed just south of the highway to deliver fuel to northern Baja. It runs between the highway and the north end of Laguna Salada.

Interesting!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 01:03 PM

Again, notice the shadow length to more accurately gauge how tall this is.

David, the angle of the sun determines the length of shadow more than the actual height of the tower....justsayin'

Don't believe everything you think....
Mjd78
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 02:38 PM

Interesting!
Mjd78
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mjd78  

Interesting!

I think I found the tower. It is north of the toll road on a small mountain in between the Sierra Juarez and Mexicali. Immediately south of the border.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 04:25 PM

Not that it matters much, but the correct term for those towers on the pipeline is penstock.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Mjd78
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Not that it matters much, but the correct term for those towers on the pipeline is penstock.

I didn’t know that and I appreciate that.
Mjd78
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 04:33 PM

On google maps, there looks to be a dirt road just after you pass the military checkpoint on the right, next to some sort of a power station or something like that. Does anyone know if I am able to take that dirt road and go off-roading for a little bit in that area? I want to explore that area and t looks like that dirt road is the easiest or maybe only way to get there.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 05:36 PM

The various dirt roads in the area have been used by CODE, a Mexicali race promoter, to run off road races. As far as I know you can drive or ride on any of the roads not marked "Do Not Trespass" or "Private Property".
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I thought the pipes were the penstocks, normally the downhill sides. The towers are called surge tanks, I think. I know the pipes in the Owens Gorge going down to the power plants are called penstocks.

Please let me know if I'm wrong, water systems always interested me.

John
Mjd78
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The various dirt roads in the area have been used by CODE, a Mexicali race promoter, to run off road races. As far as I know you can drive or ride on any of the roads not marked "Do Not Trespass" or "Private Property".

Cool, thanks!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.