BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sentri San ysidro or otay?
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 08:33 PM
Sentri San ysidro or otay?

I’m starting school tomorrow and will be crossing frequently with the normal commute crowd. Does anyone have experience with which line is better first thing on a weekday? Both places of entry are about equal distances from my place. This is my first semester not being able to schedule afternoon classes for an easy commute. Thanks
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 08:50 PM

From where??
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 09:18 PM

Im not far from the start of the blvd 2000 so both ports are about equal distances.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 09:43 PM

We always use Otay when crossing north. SENTRI is easy to access. Once across on the 905 the 805 or the 5 freeways are a snap
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2018 at 10:43 PM

Ive used both probably a hundred times; I just am not familiar with SENTRI wait times during the morning commute. I'm looking for someone who has experience with both to share some insight on if one is significantly better than other? Thanks
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2018 at 08:36 AM

If you are equal distance to both ports, I'd go Otay. Very simple approach route and usually less used.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-22-2018 at 08:43 AM

You also need to be made aware of the crossing times. If you don't have SENTRI it generally is a few minutes. There are also two other options: The regular line generally takes about two hours. The RFID lane (which has the most gates open) takes about an hour.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 1-22-2018 at 11:35 AM

Depends on what time in the morning. 0500 is quite different then 0700 and 0900 as well.
Best thing to do is to get border APP. 905 is better than 905 unless there's an accident. Install sigalert for 805/905.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2018 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
Ive used both probably a hundred times; I just am not familiar with SENTRI wait times during the morning commute. I'm looking for someone who has experience with both to share some insight on if one is significantly better than other? Thanks

sounds like a simple enough question Luke!
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2018 at 11:45 AM

Well I just did San ysidro this morning. I arrived around 630 and the line was backed up almost to the second roundabout but the line moved ok. I was thru in about 35 min. Then hit 2 accidents on the us side and that sucked!

I think I’ll try otay next and compare.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2018 at 11:56 AM

you gotta be exhausted by the time you get to school!
Special Ed

[*] posted on 1-23-2018 at 11:04 AM

630-830am is rush hour at san ysidro sentri, usually 25-30 minutes... i wish i had the huevos to venture over to Otay but i'm still afraid of getting lost in the hood... hope someone else can provide insight though, if the Otay Sentri isn't busy often i might try it

i cross daily at 9am at San Ysidro and it's usually 15 mins max
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 1-23-2018 at 11:38 AM

Special Ed,

If you have a smart phone , download the WAZE app and it will take you on the best route.. Ezeepeeezee...
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2018 at 12:33 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how to get to the RFID lanes from the toll road north from Ensenada. I always end up in the regular lanes to the west. I must be missing a sign somewhere. Possibly going under the overcrossing before the big loop to the right? Perhaps the next turnoff as you head east?

John
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 1-23-2018 at 12:44 PM

Ya, the roads around the San Ysidro boarder crossing are vary confusing.

Again , use the WAZE app. and all is good.

As long as you have a smart phone, that is ...
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2018 at 01:17 PM

after finding the ready lane closed all the way back to the CFE plant a few times I gave up and started using Otay from the free road, soooo much easier and never closed due to gridlock like TJ
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I'm still trying to figure out how to get to the RFID lanes from the toll road north from Ensenada. I always end up in the regular lanes to the west. I must be missing a sign somewhere. Possibly going under the overcrossing before the big loop to the right? Perhaps the next turnoff as you head east?

John

To get to the Ready Lanes from the toll road from Ensenada it's necessary to get on the Vía Rápida on the east side of the river channel. The access is by way of the the two big roundabouts, the first by the Cultural Center or the second by the statue of Cuauhtémoc, both on Paseo de los Heroes going south, There's a ramp to the right before the overcrossing and big loop that leads to Paseo de los Heroes. It's not very obvious. I'm not sure how it's marked, or even if it's marked.

If you take the second roundabout, go east on the bridge over the river and make the first right turn after crossing at the CFE plant, and then another immediate right turn, and then a third right turn. You will be on the Vía Rápida and only need to follow the overhead signs staying in the right hand lane.

If you take the first roundabout, go east over the river and turn left at the first small roundabout. This should lead to the Ready lanes, although in the past when traffic is heavy police will close access to the Ready Lanes and you will be forced to backtrack to the second roundabout. I'm not even sure that this route still gives access to the ready lanes, as I haven't used it in a long time. There is never a problem using the second roundabout, even when traffic backs up a long distance.

There are other variations, but I'm giving the one easiest to explain. It's possible to use the Vía Rápida on the west of the river going south and exiting at either roundabout going west and using the roundabout to go back east (a U-turn). Or you can exit one block after the roundabout exit and make a series of right turns to get heading east over the river. There are only two bridges to get over the river to the Vía Rápida.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  

John

To get to the Ready Lanes from the toll road from Ensenada it's necessary to get on the Vía Rápida on the east side of the river channel. The access is by way of the the two big roundabouts, the first by the Cultural Center or the second by the statue of Cuauhtémoc, both on Paseo de los Heroes going south, There's a ramp to the right before the overcrossing and big loop that leads to Paseo de los Heroes. It's not very obvious. I'm not sure how it's marked, or even if it's marked.

If you take the second roundabout, go east on the bridge over the river and make the first right turn after crossing at the CFE plant, and then another immediate right turn, and then a third right turn. You will be on the Vía Rápida and only need to follow the overhead signs staying in the right hand lane.

If you take the first roundabout, go east over the river and turn left at the first small roundabout. This should lead to the Ready lanes, although in the past when traffic is heavy police will close access to the Ready Lanes and you will be forced to backtrack to the second roundabout. I'm not even sure that this route still gives access to the ready lanes, as I haven't used it in a long time. There is never a problem using the second roundabout, even when traffic backs up a long distance.

There are other variations, but I'm giving the one easiest to explain. It's possible to use the Vía Rápida on the west of the river going south and exiting at either roundabout going west and using the roundabout to go back east (a U-turn). Or you can exit one block after the roundabout exit and make a series of right turns to get heading east over the river. There are only two bridges to get over the river to the Vía Rápida.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the sat view. Just resigned myself to sitting among the great unwashed masses.
John
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  

John

Thanks, I'll take a look at the sat view. Just resigned myself to sitting among the great unwashed masses.
John

how does Cathy go?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.