Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Renting a car in the U.S. and driving into Baja
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2018 at 11:30 AM

Get the dog certified as an emotional support animal and take him on the plane. The number of ppl doing that right now is ridiculous.

I'd definitely fly to San Diego. Drive over to Mexicali and cross there. Much better drive down the East coast of Baja. Rent a jeep if you can. Gives you more options to go offroad on some side trips.

I wouldn't fly into Cabo, the drive down is amazing.

8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 09:28 PM

Flew with our 40 pound pup in November. Seattle to Cabo. Dog did fine. Felt Alaska Airlines did a great job communicating with me regarding the whole process of checking in and they let you know when the dog is safely loaded. Had paperwork ready to show in Cabo and that took 2 minutes to check.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
Flew with our 40 pound pup in November. Seattle to Cabo. Dog did fine. Felt Alaska Airlines did a great job communicating with me regarding the whole process of checking in and they let you know when the dog is safely loaded. Had paperwork ready to show in Cabo and that took 2 minutes to check.

I've heard that Alaska Airlines does a good job with pet transport. I'd have to figure out how to leverage them from Boston, but if it's doable, it seems like the most pooch-friendly carrier.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 09:24 AM

I fly with my dog on Alaska regularly. They do a good job, but they are more pet cautious than pet friendly! Here is the info from their site; https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/policies/pets-...

My big girl does not have any breathing issues although her head looks pretty pit bullish, but her long legs help me pass her off as a 'retriever/ridgeback' mix! It is important that it says that on the health certificate as well.

Edit; Reserve a kennel space as soon as you know you will be booking a flight, they are limited! Severe weather at any segment of your flight (hot or cold) can cancel the reservation.

[Edited on 1-28-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 10:37 AM

It looks like Alaska airlines will fly from Boston to Portland, where we can stay overnight, and then from Portland to Cabo the following day. The caveat about weather-related cancellation hits close to home, as we once took 3 days to get to Cabo due to ice in Dallas and wind in Albuquerque. A cancellation when traveling with a dog could mean bigger delays if the next flight already has reached its limit for pets. While there are worse things than getting stranded in Portland, it would have the potential to delay us for days. Something to think about, I suppose.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Get the dog certified as an emotional support animal and take him on the plane. The number of ppl doing that right now is ridiculous.

I'd definitely fly to San Diego. Drive over to Mexicali and cross there. Much better drive down the East coast of Baja. Rent a jeep if you can. Gives you more options to go offroad on some side trips.

I wouldn't fly into Cabo, the drive down is amazing.

I agree that the whole "service dog" racket has gotten absurd. The idea that a pug, for example, could provide any "service" beyond looking permanently sad is beyond laughable.

Our dog Tito, pictured in my avatar, is Australian Cattle Dog mix. He's intelligent, energetic and very loyal. While not destructive, he doesn't deal with separation very well, nor has he done well in a crate. Passing him off as a Service Dog would be great, except that he's more easily distracted than a hyperactive 2 year-old. Another dog, an oddly dressed person or a loud noise could set him off. Not exactly a Chocolate Lab.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.