Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Building a House in Mexico and More
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 05:55 PM
Building a House in Mexico and More

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=e...

By MAX SUTTON-SMOLIN
Guest Teen Columnist
Feb. 24, 2005

As we crossed the border into Mexico, my first time leaving the United States, I somehow thought I would immediately feel different. More enlightened, more sympathetic, more something. But I felt no real change or strong emotions until our arrival in the residential area of Tijuana, where I experienced my first glimpse of true poverty, my first glimpse of a society where trash and grime are a regular sight, my first glimpse of what life is really like away from the fantasy world that is my home which is only 35 miles away.

The weekend of February 5, 2005, my father and I went down to Mexico with Youth With a Mission ( http://www.ywam.org ), a 45-year-old evangelical and charitable organization with members and programs all over the world, to build a house for a Mexican family (a husband, wife, and two young children) whose home had been made uninhabitable by rain.

When we first arrived, we saw the two children playing on a rickety swing set in the dusty, trash-strewn yard. We began our work-unloading the vans, nailing, hammering, painting, and carrying wood from place to place. The walls went up around noon, and by nighttime, we had the entire roof in place and were almost done with the wiring.

Throughout that day, I marveled at how the children, picking their way through trash and sharp and dangerous objects, played as innocently as children would in my neighborhood. These children have no knowledge or memories of a better life, but make do happily with the little they have. Children in the U.S. seem to need more expensive items to have fun, while these children, with so little, are able to improvise and enjoy life whenever and wherever they can.

Hospitality
YWAM provided sleeping quarters and meals at their headquarters. After a fantastic Mexican dinner , my father and I walked the streets of Tijuana and sampled the culture of the Mexican community. As we walked, we happened upon a limousine with a group of finely dressed Mexicans, including several teenagers. As this severely clashed with the dismal surroundings, we investigated, only to find that it was a quincea?era for one of the Mexican girls. A quincea?era is a cultural celebration for the coming of age of Mexican girls, when they turn 15.

It was very interesting how social and informal and friendly they were. They came right up to us, and in broken English, asked us if we wanted a picture of them. They then insisted on taking a picture of us with the quincea?era girl. This experience showed me one of the key differences between our culture and theirs: hospitality. If a group of Americans at a birthday party saw two obviously foreign people, they would probably not stop to think about saying hello, talking, taking pictures, or laughing with the strangers. There is an atmosphere of openness and trust in Mexican society that we don't have in America.

Finishing the House
The next day, after a quick breakfast, it was back to the salt mines. I was curious to know how the mother and father were feeling as we built the house, and I speculated on their feelings. The mother was almost always carrying her baby, and seeing them reminded me why we were there. I know she was very grateful, and I don't think she minded at all that she was receiving help for the construction of her house. But I think the father did mind, as he was always working anywhere he could, as hard as he could. I wondered if our being there could have been an injury to his pride, and I realized that, yes, of course it was. There's no way it couldn't be. Yet he kept a dignified air about him as he worked, and I think he was also very grateful.

The completion of the house was almost as satisfying as the looks on the faces of the father, mother, and children when they entered it (the house was a bit smaller than a two-car garage and was without plumbing or running water). The children's gleeful cheering and laughing and playing made all the soreness, smelliness, and paint-splattered clothing worth it. When it came time for the group picture in front of the house, the three-year-old child who had been in the house marveling at his new bed, toys, and well, house, refused to come out. When we tried to make him come out, he started sobbing, and I realized in a bittersweet way that it was because a bed and toys and the home were so special to him, and perhaps he thought he would never get it back if he was to leave, even for a moment.

Real Life
This trip showed me what life is really like in most of the world, and how blessed we are to live the dream lives that we do. It was a real eye-opener. I learned a lot about the Mexican culture, and I now feel that I've given a little back to society for all that society has given to me. This trip did leave me more enlightened, it did leave me more sympathetic, it did leave me more grateful, and it was a life-changing experience that opened my eyes to a whole new world-the real world.
Price
Nomad

smile.gif posted on 2-28-2005 at 06:34 PM
GREAT WORK

I think what you did in MX is truely wonderful - but you seem to think the US is totaly great - visit rural Missippi - Arkansas & Tennessee - you will see unbelievable living conditions - why not fix it in the US ? :spingrin:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 07:13 PM

posted by Anonymous
Throughout that day, I marveled at how the children, picking their way through trash and sharp and dangerous objects, played as innocently as children would in my neighborhood. These children have no knowledge or memories of a better life, but make do happily with the little they have. Children in the U.S. seem to need more expensive items to have fun, while these children, with so little, are able to improvise and enjoy life whenever and wherever they can.

Posted By Bruce

This Holds true with the adults here to-it takes less material thanks to make them happy. often times this git's confused with poverty when they see people that don't have many things.

the way I measurer poor or Rich is by how Happy people are. not by how many kitchen appliances they have. if you use this method the people here in Mexico are way more wealthy than people in the U.S.

[Edited on 3-1-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 07:18 PM

MAX SUTTON-SMOLIN

why don't you go a head and sine up to be a nomad . you certainly have enough interest in Baja. and I would be proud to have you on Bord.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 2-28-2005 at 07:21 PM
Great stuff Bruce

Im kinda busy down here but itd sure be nice if you could make it down. and, where the heck is Frank?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Im kinda busy down here but itd sure be nice if you could make it down. and, where the heck is Frank?

thanks Jr. I to have a lot of work right now through easter . I wish I could come down and see your project.

Frank who?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2005 at 10:50 AM
Germanicus

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2005 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja

?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2005 at 11:12 AM
Frank is Germanicus

and his wife is Tina. I know you know them because they took me to see you.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2005 at 11:36 AM

OK thanks, the problem is I know to many Franks. but now I now who you are talking about.:yes:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.