Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 09:30 AM

Keep it coming. Great story and pics.
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

Mood: Craving Pacifico

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 10:13 AM

Day 4 Mulege to Ciudad Constitution. I know its been a while, but Ive had some crazy stuff happen in the past year and this has taken a backseat.
After the great food and margaritas the night before, I woke up surprisingly early. I woke up my brother and we strolled around Mulege looking for a redbull. The only store open was the Six on the corner and they only sold Monsters:mad:. We settled for a Rockstar and headed back to the hotel. We had planned to ride to Loreto on the Hwy and then head to the San Javier Mission, but three 300 mile plus days had taken there toll on us. We rolled into Loreto and parked on the Malecon to have lunch. We walked into the Mediteraneo and had killer margaritas and smoked brisket sandwiches. The owner was extremely nice and from Texas. At this point I kept looking at my gps and saw that it was only a couple hours to Ciudad Constitution on the pavement. I relayed the message to the others and we didnt even have to say a word. Am i bummed we took the shortcut? Maybe a little, but I was dog tired and a michelada and sleep had my name on it. We rolled down the hwy jamming to some music and taking in the sun. We pulled into town around 3o'clock and checked into our hotel. Super weird but the hotel was brand new and the nicest place we stayed so far. They even let us pull the bikes into the rooms. After we checked in and got situated we walked down the street and found a Michelada cart. We sat there and talked with the owner for probably an hour. He pointed us into the direction of a pizza joint and we ate and crashed out. Super uneventfull day but a much needed break.

Loreto Mediteraneo.jpg - 217kB Mulege Six.jpg - 200kB Mulege.jpg - 218kB
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 10:46 AM

ciudad.jpg - 228kB gas station.jpg - 208kB
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 11:10 AM

Day 5 Ciudad Constitution to La Paz
Day 5 was our last real day of offroad and our last long day. We new we needed to leave early in order to make it to La Paz before the sun went down. So we woke up around 5 am and started getting ready. A serious fog bank rolled in and you got wet just standing there. We got on the bikes and headed to the Pemex to fill up for the long day ahead. This was the only day where we wouldnt meet up with the truck half way through the day, we were on our own until we got just north of La Paz on the coast. After fueling up we started heading south to the turnoff to head dead east across the peninsula. The fog was so thick that I had to take my goggles off to see. We got to the turnoff and decided it wasnt worth it to ride into the fog like that. We could feel the sun coming through so we sat there for about 20 minutes for it to clear up. The truck had extra fuel so we topped off one more time and then headed down the road. there was a lot of traffic on the road we picked and the dust was pretty bad. We road for about 5 miles where we cought up to grader. He took up the entire road and couldnt see us or here us. I saw a narrow gap where I might be able to get around him and went for it. As soon as i put my tire onto the bank it sank about a foot into silt making me tip over. Somehow the bike got stuck on full throttle while it was laying there. It let off a couple backfires and the operator heard it and then pulled over. After i got back on my bike we road off didnt have anymore traffic the rest of the day. we roded for about an hour when we happened upon the San Luis Gonzaga Mission. We stopped and took pictures and talked to a couple locals. It was pretty amazing. After looking around for about 20 minutes we headed out. There were a bunch of little kids that we gave stickers too and pulled a couple wheelies and were off. The trail was pretty fun and highspeed up until we hit the base of the mountains. We started climbing some seriously rocky roads until we got into a large valley. There was fresh water running through it and there were little ranchos and cattle everywhere. Little kids lined the road as we rode on by. We kept heading uphil and came around the corner to one of the most beautifal things I had seen the entire trip. It looked like the Canyon, but is was super green. We stopped and took pictures and then pushed on. We made it to the coast around three o'clock after a serious day of rocks. As soon as we got on the beach I picked up a nail and had a rear flat tire. We pulled over and got to work. We got it fixed and headed south to La Paz. The truck met us near the Shrimp Farm and we convoyed in. About 5 miles from La Paz on the Hwy my brothers biked stopped running. We noticed it had been burning a lot of oil and we had been refilling it but we figured it had seized. At this point we had used all of our spare bike oil so we filled it up with the trucks mobil one synthetic. It took two quarts of oil which meant it was bone dry :o. We let it sit for five minutes and kicked it once and it fired right up. We were shocked!!! After that we pulled into the hotel on the Malecon and went and had dinner and went to bed early. It was a hell of a day and the most memorable of the entire trip.

San Luis Gonzaga 2.jpg - 164kB San Luis Gonzaga.jpg - 157kB La Paz Sign.jpg - 142kB Fog 2.jpg - 203kB Fog.jpg - 202kB San Luis Gonzaga 3.jpg - 167kB San Luis Gonzaga 4.jpg - 139kB San Luis Gonzaga 5.jpg - 160kB
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 11:12 AM

Grand Canyon.jpg - 219kB Grand Canyon 2.jpg - 247kB Grand Canyon 3.jpg - 198kB Grand Canyon 4.jpg - 201kB Grand Canyon 5.jpg - 245kB Sand Wash.jpg - 192kB Sea of Cortez.jpg - 212kB La Paz Flat Tire.jpg - 210kB
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 11:13 AM

La Paz Hotel.jpg - 180kB La Paz Hotel 2.jpg - 225kB La Paz Hotel 3.jpg - 217kB La Paz Marina.jpg - 132kB
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 11:25 AM

Very cool.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 12:25 PM

Looks like a good crew and a great time...:coolup:

Thanks for pics and story.

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.