BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Puerto escondido Waiting room cluster fluck
Mendodoc

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 05:01 PM
Puerto escondido Waiting room cluster fluck

If you have ever anchored/moored at the "Waiting room"in Puerto Escondido keep those days in your memory bank because as of a few days ago it's all over...
Boaters were approached by a Panga carrying 'local authorities' a few days ago and given anywhere from 1-3 days (stories vary) to MOVE THEIR BOATS !!! Some owners have been moored there for 30 years...
Apparently (if stories are anywhere near correct) the latest incarnation of the Puerto Escondido marina has decided to take control of the area after API seems to have relinquished control of it. Possibly to reinstall THEIR "approved moorings" some where down the line. Many of us who paid for moorings in advance to API are now trying to get a straight answer as to where we stand. The marina tells people to speak to API. The API security tells people to go to the marina office, etc., etc., etc.
Short term solution for many of us has been to go into the Puerto Escondido mooring field and let the sludge settle. I moved my boat today and hope to visit both offices Monday for some sort of an answer myself.
"Absentee owners" whether on vacation or just derelict of duty stand to have their boats towed very soon...
SO if PE was on your agenda be prepared to "go inside "....

Puerto-Escondido-10.jpg - 142kB

"Nothing is really work, unless you would rather be doing something else"... Sir James Barrie

"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive..." Robert Louis Stevenson
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 06:32 PM
Free mooring

OMG. It finally happened. It was years coming. Reminds me of the days that "official looking folk in white shirts, black pants and "clipboards" came visiting us in Junacalito, telling us we can't camp there anymore, and we had to move.
Then when we didn't move. We were visited by the "marines". Same crap. Then we found our "roadway" down to the beach covered with a huge "burm" Took four wheel drive to get over it. Turns out is wall all because Alma at Tripui wanted us into her trailerpark???????? Was a good effort on her pat, buty it didn't work. We prevailed. She gave up. Don't know what's happening now. Was some years ago that this is all going on. Those were the days, Honey Jim & Delores were camped at the north end of the beach where we watched allthe sailing craft come in. Also was the days when Su sie and Jim in the "airstream" trailer were parked there also. I'm hoping this will "blow over". I'll light a candle for the 'residents' moored out there. Wonder what will happen to the the boat Sunlover Connie and spouse own and they are traveling in the states right now.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 08:15 PM

Darn. What a mess.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 04:00 PM

I am ignorant on the PE topic but just curious if I read the part correctly that states free moorage. It just doesn't seem possible that you could have free moorage for 20 plus years and be upset that it may come to an end. Maybe I misunderstood the OP if so I apoligize but if is true that you get free parking in this day in age plus probably dump your poop in the sea...get real
Mendodoc

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 10:09 PM

Where did you read "free mooring"?

"Nothing is really work, unless you would rather be doing something else"... Sir James Barrie

"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive..." Robert Louis Stevenson
Phil S
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 01:27 PM

Sorry. Missed responding. Sorry. Old news that needed an answer. Having camped on the beach opposite the "waiting room" for many years. We became friends of many of the boaters. There was no mention about those paying inside the harbor. My response was regarding those "camped" "moored" just outside. No idea whats going on down there these days with Puerto Escondito. Anyone been "out there" lately? Is the restaurant still open? Any home built in the subdivision yet?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 02:24 PM

Last time I pulled in with my boat they had no gas at the dock. What the hell.

They have bar/restaurant there. Serve pizza from their wood burning stove.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Last time I pulled in with my boat they had no gas at the dock. What the hell.

You neutered housewives-of-Calabasas should stay in calabasas, in your little cookie-cutter boxes on the hill, if you insist Starbucks and 24-hour gas station on every corner.
Crikey! You valley people whine about everything in baja! Perhaps you should stay home, you whiny cry baby!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 04:33 PM

Me thinks the goat be hammered:light:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Me thinks the goat be hammered:light:

that second Amstel light always gets him.....:wow:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 12:00 AM

He's mad at me for asking him to post a video of him learning on his little StarFish trainer sail.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Whiskey Witch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 06:55 AM

We take on fuel (diesel and gasoline) at Puerto Escondido on average a half a dozen times a year. The one time we were there when they were "out" was about five years ago and it was trucked in for us instead. The improvements to the facilities at Pto. Escondido over the past two years or so, concurrent with new ownership, have been exceptional. Nicest (newly renovated) restrooms and showers of Mexico marinas that I have visited in 8 years. Well stocked tienda - a branch of Loreto's Juarez grocery store, Pepeginas Restaurant, exceptional, concierge-class marina staff. $40 flat rate for car rental, delivered to the marina whenever you need one. Mooring rates have gone up, but there is no reason to linger there constantly as there are so many beautiful free anchorages less than a day away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 02:06 PM

welcome aboard Whiskey Witch!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 03:23 PM

We were there for a day last Thanksgiving and it is very impressive, wish you could fish off the dock though :)
Phil S
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2019 at 03:33 PM

Thank you W.W. Don't think there are many Nomads that venture into PE very often to report. Since the "waiting room" was supposed to be closed down, anyone know if that area is still empty now.? Anyone here happen to know where Susie and Jim might be these days. Got a call from Susie couple years ago, but her phone number wouldn't respond. Last I heard there were somewhere in Panama?
Whiskey Witch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 11:56 AM

Waiting room was still vacant as of our last visit aprox. December 3. We will return there soon. Some larger vessels that cannot enter the harbor (it has been recently dredged) are allowed to use the waiting room as anchorage, I presume a fee required. Not sure who are Susie and Jim, we don't linger long enough in Pto. Esco. to meet many longstanding liveaboards.
Phil S
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 04:11 PM

Thanks for the update. Jim and Susie Daniels were their names. Camped on shore across from the waiting room and about a half to one mile south of the marina. Jim did a lot of hull cleaning and fixin' of boats there. We became good camping neighbors when they were camped there. Was hoping some of the sailing Nomads would respond to my inquiry. Oh well. But thanks for your response. If Sun lover Connie is lurking (that is if she and Elvin ever returned from their "in the U.S. vacation from last summer". Maybe she could either U2U me or just respond.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 08:19 AM

FYI - Waiting room still empty, one derelict Trimaran floating around outside the PE harbor, apparently he got booted for being a nuisance

Didnt see any campers over on rattlesnake beach, just a couple daytrippers

PE marina is done up quite nice, $$$

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
FYI - Waiting room still empty, one derelict Trimaran floating around outside the PE harbor, apparently he got booted for being a nuisance

Didnt see any campers over on rattlesnake beach, just a couple daytrippers

PE marina is done up quite nice, $$$

Photos???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whiskey Witch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 03:07 PM

David K, here's a look-see. https://www.marinapuertoescondido.com/. However the aerial photo of the new slips is a little old, many more berths are filled now. Anything else you want to see, I'll be back in there soon and can take a photo or two.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.