Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mx5 work & update
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 01:37 PM

If you have a modern vehicle and the manual says to use premium fuel and you put regular in it the electronics will detune the motor to avoid damage and the result is what AKgringo says.
All my new vehicle owner manual has a discussion telling that regular results in less performance.
Bottom line is go ahead and use regular and don't worry.
Its is pretty hard to justify the extra cost for premium for a hardly detectable change in performance.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 03:29 PM

My car is An Acura MDX, and octane level does make a difference - I love the BCS premium and the premium on Oregon! Always get better mileage. I will put it a bit of regular if need be.

So, Mx5 is easy/obvous to follow?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

You should be using Google Maps on your phone.

There is cell service to a bit below San Felipe. To use it past there, download the area you'll be in for offline (no cell service) use.

https://youtu.be/n2clgre1yOE

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 05:25 PM
Octane

I have a good friend who is the major gas distributor for our area.
He says "Don't sweat the octane.... I put regular in my BMW"

So, I asked my mechanic when I took my own high compression rather expensive German car in for service (last time I mentioned the make all the trolls went nutzo so let's just leave it at this description)

And my mechanic says "Absolutely, burn any octane you wish and the computer will immediately compensate for the lower octane. Of course, when you bought these neat cars, that really perform, you intended to get out of them what they were designed to do. Asking the computer to lower your performance to save twenty cents a gallon seems like a pretty silly thing to do, but it won't hurt it."
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
My car is An Acura MDX, and octane level does make a difference - I love the BCS premium and the premium on Oregon! Always get better mileage. I will put it a bit of regular if need be.

The part you wonder about is 23 miles of dirt road. It is easy to follow as there is quiet a bit of traffic...all that traffic comes at a price though. The road is washboard or is very rocky/worn. You will make it but must go slow and watch for damaging larger rocks.
SuperScrappy

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 08:20 AM

We just came thru Mex 5 over the weekend. They are working hard on re-paving the road near of Puertecitos, new bridges, lots of heavy equipment and workers. The side dirt road is in fairly good shape, better than the paved road was with the pot holes. There is still a section of "paved" road thru the dips that has a lot of pot hole and they are not working on this section. There is minimal new activity on the old dirt section after Gonzaga. There is a section that is paved on the mountain pass, that is "closed" but people are able to drive around the dirt piles and drive on the pavement. Overall, it took us 40 minutes to take the 23 mile dirt section, we took the newer section of dirt that bypasses Cocos.
tuckles

[*] posted on 9-27-2018 at 04:27 PM

Super-

"There is a section that is paved on the mountain pass, that is "closed" but people are able to drive around the dirt piles and drive on the pavement".

How will I know when to drive around the dirt piles and get on the pavement? Is it obvious? What marker or any more information will help.
I am driving down on Oct 10. Has anyone been on the road in the last couple of weeks? This is my first time on the 23 mile stretch. Any tips or pointers are appreciated.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-27-2018 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tuckles  
Super-

"There is a section that is paved on the mountain pass, that is "closed" but people are able to drive around the dirt piles and drive on the pavement".

How will I know when to drive around the dirt piles and get on the pavement? Is it obvious? What marker or any more information will help.
I am driving down on Oct 10. Has anyone been on the road in the last couple of weeks? This is my first time on the 23 mile stretch. Any tips or pointers are appreciated.

In my August TRIP #8 report, I drove all the paved miles and as much of the unpaved new roadbed as possible in order to update my maps and road logs for the future.

Southbound, you can stay on the new paved road and stay on the new roadbed without fear of unfinished bridges or other hazards.

When you near Las Arrastras is where the original road vis Coco's Corner goes off to the left and all 2WD cars and trailers should continue to use. However, if you are in a 4WD type vehicle and not towing you could stay on the new roadbed to almost the high point near the canyon where a 3/4 mile rough detour drops you down to the older route. The new roadbed on ahead, where it cuts into the canyon and approaches the construction camp appears not passable.

The south end new pavement begins just before entering the Chapala Valley. In about a mile you come to a detour (to the right) road sign and again, if you are not in a 4WD or towing, you should probably go down to the old road. Otherwise, you can continue on the pavement which ends 1 mile from Hwy. 1. Where it ends is a deep dust section (4WD best) to return to the road on to Hwy. 1.

The exact mileages and photos are in the trip report: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91029

[Edited on 9-28-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2019 at 10:52 AM

Here is the latest on road funding
The Federal government authorized the first projects to be carried out during the present fiscal year in Ensenada.

In The 2019 budget of the Federation, projects are already authorised in the field of road infrastructure, including 200 million pesos for the road transpeninsular Ensenada-Lázaro Cárdenas, in the section of the delegation of maneadero to punta colonet, 155 Millions of pesos for the continuation of the inlet of Ensenada and

50 million pesos for San Felipe-Puertecitos in the section of the village countryside los olivos to puertecitos.

Missing is funding south to Hwy1
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.