Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: To late to return FMM?
baja99
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 11:04 AM
To late to return FMM?

Had a 7 day FMM which expired last night. It was almost midnight when we drove back across in Calexico so returning it slipped our minds. Too late to return it now? Will we have problems when we cross again, or try to get another FMM? Thanks!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 11:08 AM

when we crossed at San Yesidro 2 weeks ago, we asked the guy at the desk if we needed to return out FMM - he said no - just throw it away. so I'm not sure if that is "correct" , but seems like other things in Baja, rules, laws regulations are on a day to day - whos asking basis!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 12:41 PM

caj13, was yours the free 7 day one?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 02:45 PM

Mex Imm at the West, downtown Mexicalli crossing seem
to be a bit obsessed with returning the 7 day fmm, other
crossings don't have that. The last few yrs., they specifically
demand for the return of the 7 day fmm, not so for the 180 day. So to apease them I
return it. I cross at the Downtown Mexicali crossing,
I always return it, if it is the free 7 day. I let the wife drive in
line, while I get out and walk the 3 blks. to the Imm office.
Had a TJ 7 day unreturned, they did not mention it. Read
of a guy attempting to get the 7 day at Mexicali West, was
denied, told he had to get the, 180 day, because he failed
to return the previous 7 day fmm. Not all Imm offices
have the same application, as has been said, it's Mexico

[Edited on 4-8-2018 by sancho]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 05:13 PM

I doubt very much that you will have any problem at all getting another when you return to Mexico.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 11:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
caj13, was yours the free 7 day one?

yes
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 11:21 PM

Thanks.

The Mexicali INM office has more than once said to me the free one MUST be returned (they log in your passport when you get it) and the pay one can be tossed after the 180 days.

My wife and I returned ours at Tecate, and they were all acting like this was normal and rescanned our passports when we turned them in.

The hassle to return the 7-day ones to the INM office more than justifies just paying for the 180-day ones, we felt. Naturally, if they are going to not track you to see if it is returned, then no big deal.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baja99
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:39 AM

I had every intention of returning them, but it was such a long day of driving and midnight- I completely forgot. I'm not as worried about my family- we should probably just get the 180 day one. I was more concerned with the ones the kids traveling with us had. I don't want them to have problems later. I'm wondering if anything can be done after the expiration date...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 05:50 AM

and Les once turned his in - way back in the day - and watched as they immigration officer ripped it up and threw it in the trash Hahaha

Baja99 -mail it in to the Mexican consulate nearest you! That way you are covered.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 07:19 AM

On my last trip down I bought the 180 day visa as I always do except this time I was helping a friend move his household stuff the Totos Santos. It was a fast trip and I flew back.
While leaving Cabo airport I showed them My visa and they attached it to my boarding pass. ( note I have only been in country for SIX days at this point )

I realized when on the plane that they had kept my visa and requested it back , they checked and said that they KEEP them.
I explained that it is a 180 day visa of which only 6 days were used , to no avail.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 10:00 AM

Many many times it has been stated that the FMM tourist card (it is not a visa) is reusable only for land travel. Flying with it is only good for the one vacation as they are collected when you leave, always.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.