BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Emergency Pick up, Mulege-Loreto Coast?
Sparetimewanted
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 06:19 AM
Emergency Pick up, Mulege-Loreto Coast?

Will be kayaking with a buddy from Mulege to Loreto and will have a sat phone. Will take the number of a couple of fishing outfits in Loreto who could come get us in the event of an emergency, but is there any other numbers we should take? Is there the equivalent of the US Coast Guard who may help? Checking our options.

Thank you.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 06:32 AM

you are on your own
no vessel assist here

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 06:43 AM

When I launch my yak from remote spots. I try and talk up the local pangas and find out if they have a radio and what channel they use. Then I ask if I could call them for help is needed. Beer, coke or cash is a good why to say thanks after you finish. Also I like to take the big bag of assorted candies for their kids. Cash is not always accepted if nothing was done.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 10:23 AM
Emergency info

The Mexican Navy is the primary SAR agency for the country. For Baja Sur, the ENSAR (Estaciones Navales de Búsqueda y Rescate) is based in Los Cabos, For Baja, ENSAR is based in Ensenada. You might want to stop at the naval base in Ensenada or the naval sector in San Felipe to get additional details/contact information.

There is also the Marina Puerto Escondido yacht harbor, 011-52 (613) 131-8097

Suggest you carry a SPOT, a small waterproof FM marine handheld radio (Ch 16) and a mix of handheld marine flares and smoke.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Suggest you carry a SPOT, a small waterproof FM marine handheld radio (Ch 16) and a mix of handheld marine flares and smoke.

make sure someone is tracking you

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 04:11 PM

Hi, Have done that trip several times. We use a small single sideband shortwave receiver to pick up the sonrisa and amigo nets for wx. sonrisanet.org
This NOAA is getting better:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/experimental/epoffshores/data/WRKOFF...
Beyond big picture highs and lows, a lot of wx effects come from landforms around you, gap winds, thermals etc.
Also have handheld vhf in Aquapac case. Channel 16 is monitored by most on water. A Delorme -now Garmin Inreach is useful for sending checkin or SOS.
Help is mostly yourself in the short term. Know when to stay put, and be able to self rescue. As old sailors say, "the most dangerous thing is someone with a plane ticket." Fisherman in pangas can help if needed, your Spanish and PESOS are key. Not so much candy and beer- their gas is EXPENSIVE.
When are you going? I'm in Lto now near Puerto Escondito . U2U me re much more on shuttle, H2O, WX, etc, etc?
Cheers Jay

[Edited on 4-9-2018 by jaymtb]

[Edited on 4-9-2018 by jaymtb]
Sparetimewanted
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 08:40 PM

All great suggestions. Thank you.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.