Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AGM Marine?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

question.gif posted on 4-21-2018 at 06:50 AM
AGM Marine?

My boat takes two Group size 24 batteries and currently they are flooded. I'm sure after sitting in the boat for almost a year, toast. They are not easy to get to, have to tear off a good chunk of the back end to get them out so I want to take down AGMs this trip.
A few years ago Cabela's had a sale at about $150 each and I got two of them but they both failed on the 2nd trip, had to return them.
Currently, they have them for $233 each with shipping and tax or drive to Reno for $199 each. Not sure who makes the battery for Cabela's but I don't think I want to try that again.
Any recommendations on brands?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 06:55 AM

Did you check Bass Pro in Roseville?? Cabela's and Bass Pro merged recently (Think bass pro bought them out). Bass Pro may offer the same deal.

I can pick them up for you in Reno if you want
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 07:16 AM

I replaced the batteries in my boat a couple of years ago. I, like you, didn't want to have to think about batteries again for five or six years. After looking into it I decided I couldn't get better AGM batteries than Odyssey. I got them through Amazon and paid a ransom for shipping, but in the States and with the time could probably have found some available to pick up.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZK63KG/ref=detailpage?...
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 07:18 AM

I put 2 Optima Blue Top batteries in my boat several years ago and have had zero problems with them. We probably have similar uses with our boats; sometimes it sits for months without use.

I see you need group 24 size batteries. It looks like a group 34 battery is similar in size; just not as tall. (I cant find a group 24 in Optima).

Good luck!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 07:25 AM

Odyssey Extreme PC1500/34M 850CCA AGM Group 34M Marine Battery

Here's free shipping (USA) but they are $223.00 plus ( 5% off sign up )

https://www.4wd.com/p/odyssey-batteries-performance-series-3...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2018 at 05:56 PM

Cabela's just cut $40-$50 off their AGM Marine batteries; I pulled the trigger for two group 24s. $320 +/-, not too bad. 2 year warranty,
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2018 at 06:49 AM

Too late now for you but I use the Costco starting batteries for $80 a piece unconditionally guaranteed for 42 months. Free replacement if they fail in that time. Mine fail every 40 months and I just get free new ones.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 4-28-2018 at 07:00 AM

Since you cannot reach them easily AGM is a best option. If the Cabelas don't work out for you, look at the Lifeline battery AGM. Good warranty, military approved.

I run two interstate flooded starters, water check every three months. Two Lifeline house AGM's . NOCO waterproof chargers
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2018 at 06:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Too late now for you but I use the Costco starting batteries for $80 a piece unconditionally guaranteed for 42 months. Free replacement if they fail in that time. Mine fail every 40 months and I just get free new ones.

I run that same battery in my 'Grandpa' boat (pontoon).
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2018 at 01:58 PM

A few years ago, I bought two brand new Cabela's brand AGM batteries to power a 80# trolling motor... the things BOTH crapped out within 6 months with no warning. Cabela's tried to weasel out of the return and it took a bunch of calls to finally get them replaced. Barf.

I put a lithium ion starting battery (supposedly for ATVs/motorcycles) in our little skiff a few years ago. That thing is bombproof, cranks over easy-peasy no matter how cold it is.

The best part is that it wasn't any more expensive than the AGM batteries AND it weighs about two pounds.

I have no idea how these are not more common.

[Edited on 4-29-2018 by chavycha]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.