Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: East Cape to frontera 4/16
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 08:24 AM
East Cape to frontera 4/16

Just made the trip via Laguna Chapala cut off to Mexicali.

Not much noteworthy, but thought I would pass along a few items.

Hiway 1 in good shape most of the way except for some pothole stretches between GN, Jesus Maria.

The Chapala cutoff is about the same, except when first heading out of Chapala north, the road is much worse than on my pass through in December. I suspect that due to heavy traffic, most all the top dirt/gravel is gone, and it is very rocky. I highly recommend you stop at the llantera right there and have your tire pressure lowered. Several reports of folks with multiple flats.

Stopped at Coco's, he was jovial, and made the comment there would never be a carraterra through there, and he in fact was going to enlarge his space to give him more room.
Gas Station attendant in Gonzaga said they are saying a year before paving would be done. From what I saw, while there were some workers in the mountain section, they have not done much work, so who knows. It is an election year...

As noted, there was gas at Gonzaga.

There are some bad pothole stretches outside of Gonzaga to San Felipe, which slows travel down. They come and go, and just when you think you can maybe speed it up a bit, you hit another stretch.

I crossed at Mexicali West about 11:00 am and had a nearly THREE and a HALF hour wait. I did hear something about the US Homeland Security being in the vicinity that day, but who knows.

I did hear they are searching vehicles heading south in Mexicali much more frequently and throughly.

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  

I did hear they are searching vehicles heading south in Mexicali much more frequently and throughly.

Who is searching? The Mexicans or the US goons?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 09:04 AM

The Mexicans. Aparently with young, well trained ladies. I have never been searched by US entering Mexico. I was told this by several people who had just mssing in the past few days.
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 09:07 AM

I forgot to mention the signage indicated usually by cones, or sometimes arrows on the Chapala road have become much more confusing about where you are supposed to drive. I ended up on the newer gravel parts several times until it became obvious they don't want you driving there, and had to detour. At the end near Gonzaga, it is easy to end up crosssing a new bridge that dead ends, and you have to turn around, and head down to your right.
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 09:09 AM

Correcting above post to read passed through mexicali in the past few days.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 09:43 AM

If its young good looking ladies then I guess that would be ok by me. I recently heard of ICE or Border Patrol of one of the other Homeland Security goon agencies searching south bound traffic from time to time.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2018 at 10:23 AM

Goons?

The harder I work, the luckier I get

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.