BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishy business: Mexico arrests Chinese traveler transporting endangered totoaba
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2018 at 11:41 PM
Fishy business: Mexico arrests Chinese traveler transporting endangered totoaba

Not sure if this has been posted. The part of the article that really makes me upset is "The man was arrested and then granted conditional release after paying a $600 fine". $600 fine, that's a joke!

"Mexico City police found 416 totoaba swim bladders, prized for their purported rejuvenating qualities, in passenger’s suitcasesMexican authorities have arrested a Chinese airline passenger after a strong smell emanating from his suitcases led to the discovery that he was transporting body parts from hundreds of endangered fish.Police at the Mexico City international airport “found 416 totoaba swim bladders in [the passenger’s] two suitcases,” the prosecutor general’s office said in a statement on Wednesday.The totoaba’s swim bladder – an organ certain fish species use to control their buoyancy – is prized in Chinese traditional medicine for its purported rejuvenating qualities, and can fetch up to $20,000 on the black market.The man was arrested and then granted conditional release after paying a $600 fine, the statement said.The critically endangered totoaba is native to the Gulf of California, off Mexico’s western coast.Authorities say drug cartels and heavily armed poachers are involved in trafficking its swim bladder, dubbed the “cocaine of the sea”.The nets used to catch the totoaba have also contributed to the demise of another critically endangered species, the vaquita marina, the world’s smallest porpoise. Researchers estimate just 30 of them now remain."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/25/mexico-arrests-chinese-traveler-with-endangered-fish

kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 04:51 AM

$600? That won't stop the problem!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 09:47 AM

Really, there is no hope for the fisheries of Mexico. Why kid ourselves?

Corruption rules the day, and has ever since the first Spanish explorer set foot on land.

600.00 is probably just the publicly released figure, anyway.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 11:43 AM

Hook your absolutely right...

I'm just glad the Chinese bastard got caught. And in knowing he probably lost a ton of money that he paid for the bladders.

I wish he could have seen jail time...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

I'm just glad the Chinese bastard got caught. And in knowing he probably lost a ton of money that he paid for the bladders.

Cut out his bladder and make him eat it.

John

[Edited on 4-30-2018 by John Harper]
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 12:20 PM

I find it odd , why is it always something that is endangered like rhinoceros horns or tiger paws etc, why couldn't it be something like seagull beaks or sea lion flippers ?
But then again if it was , there seagulls and sea loins would then be endangered...

You can't win over stupid superstitions. And the sad fact is most it is just to get someones dick hard. Really sad ...............

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 01:43 PM

Well, perhaps conditional release means he has to stay in Mexico (good luck with that) and face a trial?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 02:03 PM
WHY is it ........................

...................... That the authorities in Mexico are adept at delivering extreme (terminal) justice in dealing with political troublemakers, but can't seem to do the same where it would be justified ?

If a few of these characters ended up as "heads in a bag" by the roadside, others might rethink their illegal occupations.

Certainly those minus their heads would not continue their misdeeds.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

It makes little difference that he was Chinese, really.

What about all the Mexicans that actually harvested the totuaba? This wasn't a clandestine Chinese fishing op. Mexicans got the money and didnt get caught. They are still there to do this again.

The system is just completely rotten. Only money talks. I see little true conservation ethic down there. Certainly not in the fishermen nor those "chosen" (not trained) to enforce the regs. Too much desperation forces people to do desperate things. Like rape an ocean. Like try and cross a dangerous country and border with their families.

Think about it. This guy wasnt caught by fish and game. It was Aduana, at the border. Hundreds of illegally taken fish somehow manages to elude those who's charge it is to enforce it.

Over and over again............

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.