Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing reels in carry-on? Volaris TJ to La Paz
mirko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2018 at 01:30 PM
Fishing reels in carry-on? Volaris TJ to La Paz

Wondering if I'll be able to put four fishing reels in my carry-on luggage to La Paz from TJ. Weight is not an issue as I'll just carry the reels in a backpack. I do wonder whether they will allow me to carry them on, including line on the reels. Any thoughts?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2018 at 01:38 PM

No line on the reels as far as I have heard on the local radio show.

John
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2018 at 05:31 PM

I fly from Orange County to SJD, and return back to same airport. They have always allowed my carry on reels with line. Only once while checking in at OC did the ticketing agent ask their supervisor, who said no problem.

I did get stopped by customs at SJD several years ago as I was traveling with more than the allowed 4 rods. Had to pay a fee. Customs form says limit of 4, but had always carried more and never questioned. I asked, they said 4 sets, so 4 rods and 4 reels per person.
I asked for a break, didn't get it. They were all very professional.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2018 at 06:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mirko  
Wondering if I'll be able to put four fishing reels in my carry-on luggage to La Paz from TJ. Weight is not an issue as I'll just carry the reels in a backpack. I do wonder whether they will allow me to carry them on, including line on the reels. Any thoughts?

Have flown Volaris to TJ several times. They don't seem to be overly picky about stuff.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

geronimo21
Junior Nomad

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 5-3-2018 at 03:18 AM

Do any of the airlines allow you to carry rods in pvc tubes?

If so, what are the length and weight restrictions?
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2018 at 06:42 AM

Rods in PVC tube should be OK as checked luggage. Write your name and phone number in big letters on tube. Airlines have different rules.
I have never been charged. My case is a little over 7 feet. 4 rods per person allowed. OK if 2 passengers are sharing one rod case, then 8 rods would be OK.
mirko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 08:20 PM

Thank you all. My plan is to ask when I check in and if no go then I'll check the reels with my check in baggage. I hate to do that because of theft but I'll take a chance. I hear having your reels stolen is a long shot, probably as unlikely as having them stolen at LAX. As to rods, I am pretty sure they are OK but do require purchase of a sports equipment luggage charge. The rod case is cheaper if the luggage charge is paid for ahead of time. Not too expensive.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 12:11 PM

Southwest considers rod tube as one of your free 2 bags. I have not been charged extra for oversize.
If you have expensive reels, carry them on if at all possible. I always do with no airline issues.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.