Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Telescope for astronomy
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 07:59 AM
Telescope for astronomy

Looking to do some stargazing down in Baja this summer in Asuncion. I have never done this with a telescope and was wondering if any of you nomads have recommendations of a decent telescope to purchase and use. Thanks...
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 08:04 AM

you'll like this...get it

IMG_1228.JPG - 90kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by drzura  
Looking to do some stargazing down in Baja this summer in Asuncion. I have never done this with a telescope and was wondering if any of you nomads have recommendations of a decent telescope to purchase and use. Thanks...

I suggest hanging out in astronomy forums.
If you are in san diego, there is a monthly astronomy meetup out in east county, good place to check out a bunch of telescopes. Also check out the telescope store in Oceanside. Good places to put your hands on scopes before you drop a wad on an expensive toy.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 08:23 AM

Oceanside... thats my hometown. I forgot about that store located on Mission Road across from Oceanside High School. I'll check it out when I head down in there in June for some fishing. Thanks...

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I suggest hanging out in astronomy forums.
If you are in san diego, there is a monthly astronomy meetup out in east county, good place to check out a bunch of telescopes. Also check out the telescope store in Oceanside. Good places to put your hands on scopes before you drop a wad on an expensive toy.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 01:01 PM

Oceanside Photo and Telescope is the name. Pick up a star chart while you're there, so you can orient yourself. You need to be really accurate with high power scopes because the field of view is tiny. There is usually a small parallel spotter scope to get you close to your target. I found sighting the telescope in really well during the day saves you lots of frustration trying to do it at night. Of course, I had no idea how to use one so I just picked a target in the distance and made sure the spotting scope and big scope were aligned.

John

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by John Harper]
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 01:10 PM

I have this telescope here in Asuncion. What I don't know about telescopes and astronomy would fill a lot of books so I don't know if this might be what will work for you, but you are certainly welcome to use it as you wish while visiting here if you don't bring one with you. It was given to me with instructions to give it to a school when I was done playing around with it but the local schools have not shown an interest in it so it just sits most of the time.

[Edited on 5-8-2018 by BajaNomad]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 01:25 PM

i got a telescope when we moved down here...
my brother in law broke it...
it was too big and clumsy

i'd just get a powerful pair of binoculars...
then you can use them in the day to lookout on the water
mine work great

you can download a starchart onto your phone

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 01:41 PM

That's a nice little reflecting scope. You can see the sighting scope (viewfinder) on the side, very important to have that aimed correctly. Only problem if you realize, is looking at vertical objects, the eyepiece will be too high to look into. So, have a step ladder available. You can probably re-adjust the scope mount/tripod a bit to make it better, but every movement takes you time to re-target the scope, especially at night.

They make reflecting scopes with a bottom mount, called a Dosbsonian mount, after the inventor. It eliminates that problem but has it's own eccentricities. I believe the equatorial mount is referred to as a Newtonian mount IIRC.

You gotta love the "For Sky Viewing Only" message. What, I'm gonna look in women's windows from ten miles away?

Binoculars are very practical too!! Actually much easier and infinitely more portable.

John

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by John Harper]
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 02:28 PM

I would appreciate using your telescope while there. The plan is for us to rent Udo's house for about two months or so starting middle of July. I have never used a telescope in my life, so it will be a learning experience for me as well. Maybe I can spot some UFO's while there :D

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  

I have this telescope here in Asuncion. What I don't know about telescopes and astronomy would fill a lot of books so I don't know if this might be what will work for you, but you are certainly welcome to use it as you wish while visiting here if you don't bring one with you. It was given to me with instructions to give it to a school when I was done playing around with it but the local schools have not shown an interest in it so it just sits most of the time.

[Edited on 5-8-2018 by BajaNomad]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 02:49 PM

You don't need a telescope to spot UFOs. That is what mescal and tequila are for!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 06:50 PM
International Space Station

You don't need a telescope for this one.
The ISS makes regular passes, very visible even though it is about 250 miles up.
Sign up for alerts, either text or email, and when it is coming over your area you will be advised ahead of time.
And impress your friends, you can look real smart by pointing at the Western sky an hour after sunset and saying "Watch this!!"

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 09:07 AM

Don't get one that is too technical to use. We made that mistake and to this day I still don't know how the damn thing works.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 01:47 PM

As an alternative to looking thru glass, there are space watching apps for your phone. Point your phone to the sky, and it will show you names of stars, constellations, satellites, etc.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 03:36 PM

That great bear swallowed a Big Dipper!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.