Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Getting quads down from Gonzaga south. No paperwork
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2018 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by brewer  

That would be great if I had the paperwork.. These quads have no paperwork

It was pretty easy to get a new title for an old Suzuki dirtbike. You just have to file a declaration of how you procured the bike. That absolves you of any prior responsibility. Then, if they turn up clean (not stolen) they will issue a new title for you. When I did this it just required a couple of forms, and then went to the DMV so they could verify the VIN. As I said, really easy.

John

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by John Harper]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2018 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hdn2mx  
If it will make you feel better to have something with you, go to CA DMV site. There they have "Bill of Sale" forms you can fill out online and then print them out. Put your name on it, put the VIN # on it with a recent sale date. Its as official as you can get without having to pay a cent. Plus it has the DMV official form so it looks great! With all the correct info on it to.
It's not a registration form but its way better than nothing and it looks like its the real deal, because it is. But really all it is is a "Bill of Sale" form. If they ask for something and you show them that, you are on your way!
I know, we got turned around at border for no reg on a quad. Got on a computer, filled out the info, printed it, tried again an hour later, VIN # and names all checked out and on our way.
RT

Sneaky, I like it.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 04:25 PM

The quad I recently purchased had Arizona plates and reg. In CA you do have to bring the quad into the DMV office to check the vin numbers. The auto club could not do the transfer.

All quads (4) I have brought south have only been checked at the border. Print the DMV form and head south, you should not have a problem.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 05:03 PM

The federal police have the right and the will to check registration. They have checked us at San Ignacio and La Paz before. The military at San Ignacio have also checked us.

[Edited on 5-16-2018 by rts551]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I used to have an ATC 110 and my kids had a Suzuki m/c, no checkpoint questions. It is not the stated purpose of the army to ask for ownership papers. That they have is odd, but they have the guns, so why not?

And just how current is your experience with ATC and motorcycles? when offering to help when someones possessions could be confiscated I would make quiet certain it was recent.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 05:24 PM

LOL...Good question....

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
I used to have an ATC 110 and my kids had a Suzuki m/c, no checkpoint questions. It is not the stated purpose of the army to ask for ownership papers. That they have is odd, but they have the guns, so why not?

And just how current is your experience with ATC and motorcycles? when offering to help when someones possessions could be confiscated I would make quiet certain it was recent.

ATC 110? They haven't made those since Pet Shop Boys was rocking on his Walkman. Likely not a recent experience.

John
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

ATC 110? They haven't made those since Pet Shop Boys was rocking on his Walkman. Likely not a recent experience.

John

:lol: picturing bigK on the 3 wheeler,still rockin' the walkman but pumpin out some Nickleback!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by brewer  
I need to get by El Tomatal and San Ignacio. Thats it.

El Tomatal Check Point is bypassed by the old main Baja road south of Rosarito (Nuevo Rosarito), passes by the El Marmolito onyx mine, and is crossed by Hwy. 1, south of El Tomatal jcn. [2009 Baja Almanac, Map 9]

The 1975 map below shows the paved road (red) and the dirt road (black) out of Rosarito...

The old road between the blue arrows, red arrows alongside.

San Ignacio C.P. is not so easy to avoid... the old road and new are close together coming into town. Google Earth may provide other options.

[Edited on 5-16-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 06:01 PM

John

Nope, the ATC was 1979-1981 about. I never owned a Walkman. I have been rocking in Baja without music since before many here were born! LOL. The Suzuki trail bike was 2002-2005.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 08:37 PM

I traveled with a quad in Jan. was not checked the whole way south.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 09:57 AM

John

Nope, the ATC was 1979-1981 about. I never owned a Walkman. I have been rocking in Baja without music since before many here were born! LOL. The Suzuki trail bike was 2002-2005.

Just adding a little humor to this thread, DK!

Not sure why so many people seem to want to do things the hard way, instead of just registering the vehicles legally and be done with it. Are these folks cheap bastards? Or just lazy?

If I bought a quad from someone, I'd be damn sure I had a clean title to it and full legal ownership.

John

[Edited on 5-16-2018 by John Harper]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 01:43 PM

John

Just adding a little humor to this thread, DK!

Not sure why so many people seem to want to do things the hard way, instead of just registering the vehicles legally and be done with it. Are these folks cheap bastards? Or just lazy?

If I bought a quad from someone, I'd be damn sure I had a clean title to it and full legal ownership.

John

[Edited on 5-16-2018 by John Harper]

Who cared about titles in 1979....which is why, of course, his comment is relevant...just like a map from 1975 is.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.