Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mordida in Mexicali
SDROB
Junior Nomad

Mood: BajaOnTheBrain

[*] posted on 6-18-2018 at 11:42 AM

Recently within the past few weeks I had a friend get shook down in Mexicali for $140. Apparently the cop told him he was swirving, this was around 9am and he was driving straight as I was right behind him.

One thought I had was carrying my 2 way radio with me and telling the cop that I had someone I was caravanning with, just radio me to tell me that they had took video off the cops face pulling us over before moving on just in case.

I thought this could be used as a deterrent as the cop wouldn't really know if you were caravanning or not.

This is just a thought as I have recently heard quite a few stories of this continually happening. Especially around the holidays.

Any thoughts?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2018 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SDROB  
Any thoughts?

If I was a Mexican cop, I would assume you're calling in an airstrike on my position. I'd be looking for a car full of guys with guns pulling up any second.

Attempting to intimidate a cop does not seem a wise tactic, no matter the method.

John
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-18-2018 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
Mr Bill M

Since when is a little bite ( little corruption ) a good thing?

Just leads to big bites ( big corruption)

Mexico's most urgent problem is CORRUPTION

And you have to account for inflation, so it just keeps getting bigger

It's much much better to be pulled over by a Mexico cop, even if he is corrupt, than to be pulled over by a US RoboCop, who is going to give you a traffic ticket, that will cost you about $400 dollars, after fines and traffic school. And if you're black, you stand a good chance to be beat or shot in the back by an US Cop.

What's a traffic ticket bribe going to cost? Maybe, $20 or $40 dollars in Mexico, or more if you're hapless and show real fear.

Drunk driving in the US about $10,000 dollars, after you add everything up. In Mexico, a DUI, maybe $500 dollars, or even less to get a Mexican cop to let you go and drive home.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2018 at 02:35 PM

I'm not sure all gringoes who claim mordida stops are innocent. How many get through Tecate and CC with no problems vs. those who've been stopped and post about it here.

I expect to be stopped between TJ and Cabo whenever I'm driving my car. Mentally, I am prepared to negotiate with cops. Gnukid has touched on this and I totally agree. A great attitude with these cops will go a long way.

I think these guys can see fear. Relax, have fun, don't be in a hurry. Patience will pay off.

I"ve been stopped once in 20 years -- legit stop with faulty tail light on a car I was towing.

Always be courteous, friendly, smile, joke around, point to your dash cam (I will always get out of my car), ask him if you can take a selfie of the two of you.

It's all negotiable.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2018 at 04:36 PM

Crossed on Friday 3 pm. Plenty of police presence at every stop. We were careful to do the 3 second drill. Heading up hill to Ens they pulled us over claiming no seat belt, bad stop. Offered to follow them to the station and after consulting with his supervisor we were allowed to leave with a stern warning.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 09:04 AM

Tecate has been famous for mordida for quite a while. Last Friday, June 15, 2018, I drove that way both North and Southbound. Lots of cops (cars, truck and bikes) everywhere.

I figured I was a marked man because I was towing a trailer (the lights and turn signals were inoperative) with a RZR on it and both vehicles had US plates.

Lo and behold...no stops for infractions!

[Edited on 6-20-2018 by Udo]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 10:11 AM

If I read that right the OP said that the friend offered a $20 bribe, then the officer said that offering a bribe was illegal and escalated it to a $400 bribe. Talk about a catch 22!

I think the best response is to ask to go the police station to pay the ticket. If you can say it in Spanish so much the better. Act resigned, not indignant, as if you truly respect that they are conducting law enforcement to make the roads safer for the public and are genuinely sorry, and willing to pay the ticket at the station. And don't carry large sums of money in your wallet. An empty wallet and a request to go to the station will cause a crooked cop to lose interest pretty fast.

I have crossed both Mexicali and Tecate about a dozen times the last year and have not had any issues with the police. A couple of years ago I was at a red light in Mexicali in my old Buick Regal and a woman was in the crosswalk in front of me when the light turned green and the driver behind me saw the green light and drove forward and smacked my back bumper pretty hard. He pulled off to the right, where there happened to be a cop on the side of the road. Sensing a possible shakedown, I just kept driving and lost them in traffic. Turned out the bumper absorbed the impact with no damage even though it was a pretty solid smack.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 11:08 AM

The best response is to smile, not be in a hurry, explain your ignorance for violating the law (if you did violate a law), and apologize... that you are only going to Mexico to "enjoy the rich culture of this great country".

If you didn't violate the law, then smile and say let's go to the judge/comandante... Do not believe the officer when he tells you the fine is hundreds of dollars, it is not. Odds are he will let you go on the spot, or stop halfway to the judge (as you are following him) and hand you back your license... he may attempt one more try at scaring you to pay him. Just expect it so there is no surprise. Welcome to Latin America!

The main thing is to not act like you are in a hurry, or scared... This will make for a good campfire or Nomad story, after all!

It is a good rule, however, to not exceed the speed limit where you cannot see far ahead (hills, vados, curves)... as ridiculous as 80 kph is on most of Hwy. 1. Come to a complete stop (count to three) at all stop signs, wear your seatbelt, and stay off your cell phone... just like you should do in the USA!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 11:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Mr Bill M

It's much much better to be pulled over by a Mexico cop, even if he is corrupt, than to be pulled over by a US RoboCop, who is going to give you a traffic ticket, that will cost you about $400 dollars, after fines and traffic school. And if you're black, you stand a good chance to be beat or shot in the back by an US Cop.

What's a traffic ticket bribe going to cost? Maybe, $20 or $40 dollars in Mexico, or more if you're hapless and show real fear.

Drunk driving in the US about $10,000 dollars, after you add everything up. In Mexico, a DUI, maybe $500 dollars, or even less to get a Mexican cop to let you go and drive home.

Only an anarchist could love this Joe.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Do not believe the officer when he tells you the fine is hundreds of dollars, it is not.

Was a guy months back, did the go to the station thing,
fine was more than the mordida, the station fines don't
appear to be the $15 dlls, as in the past. I think it somewhat
unreasonable to expect the casual gringo tourist to, in a
confrontation with Mex cop, with threat of vehicle
impoundment, to follow a cop to the station, while not at all
being intimidated by the situation. Some seasoned Baja
travellers yes, Joe Tourist no.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 01:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Mr Bill M

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 02:05 PM
Joe JJ

"And if you're black, you stand a good chance to be beat or shot in the back by an US Cop."

And, Joe, I suppose you have facts and figures to determine the odds that make it "a good chance" in the US?

Just how many blacks are stopped and what percentage of those are beat or shot? Certainly you must know, at least to justify your statement.

You are pretty free with such a statement and it is both insulting and unfair to US cops who do their daily job free of bias and racial prejudice. And somewhere in your mind you probably have already determined the odds when a black is stopped by a black officer or a white officer?

John M
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 03:19 PM
What would a US cop be doing in Mexicali?

Isn't that what this thread was about? The Tecate input is at least on topic (mordida), let's try to stay there!

[Edited on 6-20-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 04:12 PM
Bitten often by the Mordida Bug

WHEN is a "little" corruption a GOOD thing ?

Well, when it benefits ME, of course.

Over the 40+ years of traveling south, I have paid a pittance in mordida on goods moved south.

Additionally, except in the one instance noted previously, EVERY traffic stop I suffered over the years was for an infraction I committed. For which I paid a reasonable "fine" to the officer and went on my way. Unlike a traffic stop in the U.S.

Which reminds me of a funny story ............................ years ago, a couple of my neighbors in Percebu who split their time between there and their casa in Rosarito Beach had a new neighbor (there) who decided that she wanted a telephone. "Good Luck", they said. "We had to wait over 6 months before we got ours".

The next day, she came back from Tijuana and they asked her how it worked out.

"Great. They're coming out Tuesday to install it".

"What ?"

"Yeah, the clerk said that it would be an additional $100.00 (cash) and I paid it".

I once arrived at the (old) Mexicali crossing with my truck camper filled to the roof and the (fluent in English) agent said "OK. Please remove everything so it can be inspected".

"WHAT ?", I said.

Laughing, he said "Scared you, didn't I ?. OK, Twenty Dollars."

It WAS a great system.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

... Only an anarchist could love this Joe.....

:rolleyes: Geez, I thought you had a sense of humour....

And his name is Chris..... :rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you think....
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

... Only an anarchist could love this Joe.....

:rolleyes: Geez, I thought you had a sense of humour....

And his name is Chris..... :rolleyes:

Had time to check your notes Ged?

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
"And if you're black, you stand a good chance to be beat or shot in the back by an US Cop."

And, Joe, I suppose you have facts and figures to determine the odds that make it "a good chance" in the US?

Just how many blacks are stopped and what percentage of those are beat or shot? Certainly you must know, at least to justify your statement.

You are pretty free with such a statement and it is both insulting and unfair to US cops who do their daily job free of bias and racial prejudice. And somewhere in your mind you probably have already determined the odds when a black is stopped by a black officer or a white officer?

It's like you John M, never heard of Rodney King, or all those other blacks victims to police brutality, or those blacks like Freddie Grey, who died while in police custody, and it appears you have not heard of my football hero Colin Kaepernick, who is being blackballed for taking a knee during the playing of the national anthem, while wearing piggy socks.

John M

It's like you John M, never heard of Rodney King, or all those other blacks victims to police brutality, or those blacks like Freddie Grey, who died while in police custody, and it appears you have not heard of my football hero Colin Kaepernick, who is being blackballed for taking a knee during the playing of the national anthem, while wearing piggy socks.

John M, are you white? I ask because white Americans, rarely have a clue or believe that cops abuse their badge and gun in the US, especially in the hood.

As a Mexican-American, growing up in East Los Angeles, I saw first hand how white cops treat the natives in urban neighborhoods. Yes DWB( driving while black or brown) is alive and well in the urban neighborhoods.

Blacks have it much worse than most other minorities combined, and there are plenty of studies and evidence that shows cops abuse their power towards people of color, but I'm not going to post all those studies, however I will post one. ( see below)

This topic about cops in the US, kinda relates to what goes on in Mexico, because gringos, are also sometimes racially profiled by Mexican cops, especially by Mexican corrupt cops.

Nobody likes to be shaken down by corrupt cops, or even stopped by a cop for whatever reason. But when a white American, gets pulled over by a Mexican cop in Mexico, even if they don't give in to a bribe attempt, they get a little taste about how it feels to get pulled over in the hood in the USA with the cops using reasonable suspicion, the same way as Mexican cops use random stops, where it's basically the same thing, the cops are just fishing and playing the numbers game that you are doing something illegal.

A study carried out at the University of California found "evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans compared to unarmed white Americans".[1] In this study, the probability of being shot by the police as a black, unarmed person versus as a white, unarmed person was 3.49 times higher. Unarmed Hispanics' likelihood to be shot was 1.67 times higher than for unarmed Whites.

The number vary greatly depending on the county, sometimes reaching a probability of 20 to 1 or more for unarmed blacks to be shot. There are several maps that showcase the distribution of fatal shootings across the country.

[Edited on 6-21-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 09:02 PM
Beating Bad Meat

Statistically speaking, 99.27 % of those who are subjected to a police beating were found to deserve it.

+/- an error factor of 3.08 %.

I read (or heard) that somewhere.

I think.

[Edited on 6-21-2018 by MrBillM]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-21-2018 at 07:07 AM

I saw the same article.....maybe....

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.