Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Clam farming in Baja
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 07:47 PM
San Quintin Oysters

IMHO >>>> A cooked oyster is a ruined oyster >>>> sq.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 08:09 PM
Oso, I have some questions

regarding the Mormons at the Morro Bay Oyster Company.

1. Which came first, the oysters or the babies? :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. IYHO, does not indulging in smoking, drinking or chewing gum produce more oysters or more babies or none of the foregoing? :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. IYHO, does indulging in smoking and/or drinking and/or chewing gum produce more oysters or more babies? :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must stop now, too many permutations to consider, head is dizzy and don't even get me started on the original title of the post. May go and imbibe. :lol:

[Edited on 3-11-2005 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 08:08 AM

Gitana, I think maybe they were just too busy making babies to have time for smoking and drinking.. . Also, the age-old aphrodisiacal connection to oysters may be only psychological, but often that's all it takes.

Also, I'd agree that raw on the half shell is best, but when one has abused one's liver for decades one needs to be careful... And, the small ones slip down the gullet better, but when the oyster is the size of your palm, cooking may not be such a bad idea. I miss the old style oyster bars of Carolina, wherein one would sit on a barstool and dip hot steamed ones into drawn butter while an attendant shucked them at a pace to match one's eating, thus insuring that every bite was at it's peak temperature.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 10:37 AM
Oyster Bar

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I miss the old style oyster bars of Carolina, wherein one would sit on a barstool and dip hot steamed ones into drawn butter while an attendant shucked them at a pace to match one's eating, thus insuring that every bite was at it's peak temperature.

What you need to do is travel up (or down) the Oregon Coast. Stop in Newport and belly up to our seafood bar(changed the name from oyster bar) and sample some of the NW finest oysters,clams or maybe Dungeness Crab. Fresh, local(i know everyone says that) seafood that will not be forgotten soon.
Sharks Seafood Bar & Steamer Co.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 06:29 PM

Shark, I may take you up on that one of these 120 degree Yuma summers. Haven't been to the rainforest since Portland '68. Got Razor Clams?
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 07:51 PM
Warm water oysters

For a long time I was under the misapprehension that you weren't supposed to eat oysters from warm waters. I got disabused of this on a trip to Troncones Beach, a bit north of Zihuatenejo. A local recommended a place in a village up the road a bit -- really just a palapa and resin chairs -- and said we had to order the oysters. A little girl, 10 maybe, took our order for a dozen and she yelled it out to her father, who went out to the rocky point in front of the place, harvested the oysters, and shucked them with a machete. Hot sauce, limes and cold cervezas on the side. Incredible. We had another dozen and then went back to the inn for a "nap." ;)

By the way, I left a really big tip.
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Actually that price was wholesale a few years back. I could never afford to serve it although it's one of my favorite seafoods. Abalone farming is a difficult endeavor especially when farming. Ranching on the other hand (as you described) provides abalone with the nutrient rich environment needed. High failure rates can occur as the Abalone are very vulnerable to disease and environmental changes. The CA. ab farm had numerous problems. I understand that almost all is exported to Japan where they pay huge amounts on food. Most range in size from 2-4 in. Bambinos
Abalone may be caught by skin diving in N. Calif. and a friend who dove on them not to long ago said he saw plenty. Only seasoned divers with a good amount of experience should dive in these areas I have abalone shells from years back taken in and around the Channel Is. It was unbelievable how much was out there then.

Abalone farming at US Abalone website

I've been snorkeling for abalone in Mendocino County, N of the Golden Gate bridge about 2 hrs and it is filled with Red Abalone and not that difficult to find on the rocks. The Red Abalone are the largest and the ones people take.
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 03:13 PM

Farm raised Abalone, $30 per pound CLICK HERE
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 03:58 PM
Dont be fooled

2.6 oz apiece with the shell and guts.
probably less than an ounce of meat per Abalone.
8 oz portion would equal 8 abs.
your cost for a one meal serving without anything else. $40-50.
Abalone shrinks quite a bit also.
In a restaurant you would mark it up a min of 100%. Hope you can sell it at those prices. Maybe in Cabo.

oh, don't forget that expensive shipping charge!

[Edited on 3-13-2005 by Sharksbaja]
terrybird
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 04:40 PM

Hope this post doesn't snap all you dreamers back to reality but we just made the trip south of Rosarito and the (tour guide, ok snicker) pointed out these tuna farms.I believe he said this was a Japanese venture?

[Edited on 02/06/2005 by terrybird]
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 03:27 PM
Don't think so

There's a couple of these pens off Pto. Santo Tomas as well. I believe the company that pioneered this in Baja is a Mexican company (Maricultura something or other?), run by a Mexican citizen under a government concession. I'm told that the local fishermens' coop gets something out of it for effectively ceding part of their fishing grounds to this operation (and refraining from helping themselves to those fat juicy bluefins, mmmmmmm). Most of the catch is flown to Japan because of the insane prices paid for fish over there.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 01:02 AM
We'll be lookin.....

for almejas y ostraones(clams & oysters) next week when heading south. We want to find the tender morsels from San Quintin to BOC. Any favorite clam/oyster stops (beaches or eateries)you know of would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sharks
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 02:00 AM
San Quintin Ostiones Farm

Sharks,
Ostiones, I think thats how they spelled it. Either way the oyster farm is West of San Quintin about 10 or 12 miles. As you enter SQ you'll see the military base on the West side of the street. Hang a Right (West) at the end of it and stay on that road. It will take you past El Pedregal (a small sign posted) and then about 2 or 3 miles further. You'll crest on a small hill and see the bay at the bottom. The Oyster farm is right there. Big Oysters. Fresh, Juicy, MMmmm...
Price
Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 3-16-2005 at 02:07 AM
Shellfish

Anyone know what kind of shellfish can be found in San Felipe ? When we move to SF we plan to write a cookbook using mainly local ingredients - we want to do it for our grand-daughter who is 4 and shows an interest in cooking - if our new friends like it we will have copies made for them - MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!:lol::lol:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.