Still doing essays

Attachment: Incredible.docx (13kB)
This file has been downloaded 261 times

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 10:01 AM

Keep doing them, Jorge!

[if anyone cannot open Osprey's attachment, let me know and I will print it here]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 11:19 AM

Osprey, You have some friends/supporters here.
Can't open it either on a tablet

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 11:54 AM

I enjoyed reading your commentary very much, Jorge. It was just incredible.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Osprey, You have some friends/supporters here.
Can't open it either on a tablet

Here it is:

Incredible

This is long overdue – it is a rant, an essay on language. I fell in love with language at an early age and that love led me to take on the role of a Prescriptive, one who champions the cause of preserving classic English, i.e. opposes those who wish to change it.

Evidence of the abuse is on the street, on Television and newspapers wherever English is the prevalent language. I can list a thousand words found in chit chat and news that scream out the dumbing down of basic news reporting but I only need one word to make my point.

All across the U.S. exist TV newsrooms that feed the news of the day, in the language of the day, every second of the day. The word is used by people paid to say it, write it down as a core term in the narrative of each falling crane, flash flood or two-headed calf birthing.

The word is Incredible. You won’t have to look it up. We all know the word means UNBELIEVABLE, UNTRUE, HAVING NO CREDENCE. Usually two or more professional journalists insert the word, approve and authorize its use to bring the real-time world to the curious audience. These people, producers, editors and presenters all agree the word applied quite aptly to what they bring you as facts.

So the people who are hired to explain, in your favorite language, the raging forest fire or mass of beached sperm whales on the big screen behind them, TELL YOU, SHOW YOU, WHAT YOU ARE SEEING IS NOT TRUE. The producer/editor wrote the piece, the pert blond with great posture proudly read it from the teleprompter. None of them ever questioned the others if the word was appropriate --- none of them can adequately tell you what the word means. Of all the billions of words out there I can’t think of ONE that is so obscure, diffuse, and meaningless than Incredible – it is as though it was coined by a madman as a prank. His goal was to obliterate, erase and take out of use the formerly popular adjectives like magnificent, spectacular, stunning, notable, destructible, lamentable, colossal, powerful, evocative and a million more.

Since the viewers and readers seem to be satisfied with the “One word fits all” reporting method, it won’t be long before we’ll see and read more news about more things but in small, tailored packets of words; we will grow to love “Fire in trees, bad”, “Sperm Whales can’t walk” or “Future sees more stampedes”. All across the nation, in newsrooms great or small the new method will undoubtedly catch on. Heard in the lunchrooms, at the water cooler “Herb, how do you like the new guy from Cleveland?”

“Tim? He’s incredible.”

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 04:42 PM

Thank you, Osprey. Loved your essay / rant!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 04:55 PM

Well said! And I know that Osprey would never address a topic by saying "I'll speak to that", when he means he will speak about that!

[Edited on 7-25-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2018 at 07:35 PM

Hola Jorge! Good to see ya writing!!

My pet peeve is ...like.....seems that every teen has to insert the word "like" over and over in every sentence.

Which is like, incredible, isnt it?

Word Power.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
V6G3B7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2018 at 08:57 AM

Excellent Jorge. I, too, am a language nerd. The amount of incorrect useage on television, the press and especially the Internet in, get this, INCREDIBLE.

I have two thoughts for you to contemplate, that I've been postponing to write about :

(1) About 2 years ago, I heard a present the abuse and misuse of a word that I now cannot get out of my head since I see and hear sooooo often --- "literally". Used constantly and incorrectly. "I could literally eat 100 of them." The correct word, of course, is figuratively, or metaphorically. :wow:

Politicians misusing the word Literally John Oliver - YouTube

(2) The general mis-use and abuse of ADJECTIVES & ADVERBS when reporting "the news" is obscene. "The stock market PLUMMETED 75 points today." Give me a break. Just give me the facts and I'll decide if it plummetted, dropped, moved or whatever. :mad:

The next time your listening to the TV or reading an article, I bet you will be extremely aware of my two comments, above, to the point that you've created an annoyance for yourself and that you hardly enjoy the way news is dumbed-down and reported any more. :(

Once again, a very good essay.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2018 at 11:33 AM

Stephen Curry uses the word 'obviously' too often. It becomes annoying because you expect it and wait for it. He not only uses it inappropriately but seems to just throw it out there for no known reason. I wonder if that's a mental thing, a compulsion to use the same word repeatedly.

[Edited on 7-25-2018 by Skipjack Joe]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2018 at 11:54 AM

So incredible I, like, literally died. :spingrin:

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.