BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Tuning a 2 Stroke Carb.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 10:20 AM

there's a mod that bypasses the thermostat....that and some Evans should do the trick. already having battery issues you're probably not to keen on the fan kit

[Edited on 7-22-2018 by del mar]

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

The only issue now, is the Baja Design's light I've got on it is killing the battery, even with a new stator. Gonna try to change the battery and see if it fixes it. Have jump started that thing 20 times. It doesn't have a kick start and is impossible to start it by popping the clutch. Why they made a bike w/o a kick start kills me.

Do you have a multimeter? You can check battery voltage and stator output with even a cheap/free HF one. How many amps does the new light draw? Does BD certify it for use on your bike? Have the battery checked at a local parts store for it's own condition. What happened to your first stator? Have you checked your regulator/rectifier? Everything grounded well?

John
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Maybe the water pump isn't moving the coolant fast enough. [/rquot They have used the aftermarket water pumps its not like we do normal riding. Burro canyon even caught one KTM on fire . The best to help over heating Bikes only. 100 percent coolant no water no 50 50 mix. Our riders been doing this since 1985 Big help to not over heating. I know you gearheads will say but it runs hotter with no water. Correct slight bit hotter but does not boil over. Witch is better boil over nothing in rad or full of coolant.:)
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 05:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
They have used the aftermarket water pumps its not like we do normal riding. Burro canyon even caught one KTM on fire . The best to help over heating Bikes only. 100 percent coolant no water no 50 50 mix. Our riders been doing this since 1985 Big help to not over heating. I know you gearheads will say but it runs hotter with no water. Correct slight bit hotter but does not boil over. Witch is better boil over nothing in rad or full of coolant.:)

I knew a guy with highly modified Camaro drag racer who ran pure antifreeze in his motor. That was way back in the 1970's, have not heard of that since then.

John
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 06:53 AM

When you run pure antifreeze in your daily driver car or truck it does not work. On a drag racer that runs few mins that's another story. The KTM guys a I ride with also use oversize radiators. Another over heater bike is the Beta 450/500. What is funny some people think water cooled bikes run cooler then air cooled bikes. Not in the real world as air cooled bikes don't boil over. My ex KTM 525 was fine on more flowing speed rides but the hot slow stuff would boil over. My ex KTM 200 2 smoke never over heated.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 08:45 AM

What is funny some people think water cooled bikes run cooler then air cooled bikes.

I thought tight emission standards led to higher engine temps due to leaner fuel mixtures. Hence the need to go to liquid cooling on more and more motorcycles. Or, oil cooled heads, etc.

John
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2018 at 07:07 AM

True John on dirt bikes real world. Most all dirt bikes sold water or air cooled. Are tuned to meet tight emission standards we do not ride them that way. As no power run hot with lean settings. On air cooled bikes re jet richer pilot and main jets. Air box baffle out tiny muffler baffle out. On FI water cooled bikes Retune black box that controls FI air box and filter mod. Or new hi performance black box very expensive. They build them not to ride but pass test. On Yamaha 450s the use a throttle stop you only get less then 1/4 in throttle. You replace throttle stop with one from a YZ450 to gain full power. At the end of the day in my experience the air cooled bike. Less over heating no coolant to lose.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2018 at 07:16 AM

True John on dirt bikes real world. Most all dirt bikes sold water or air cooled. Are tuned to meet tight emission standards we do not ride them that way. As no power run hot with lean settings. On air cooled bikes re jet richer pilot and main jets. Air box baffle out tiny muffler baffle out. On FI water cooled bikes Retune black box that controls FI air box and filter mod. Or new hi performance black box very expensive. They build them not to ride but pass test. On Yamaha 450s the use a throttle stop you only get less then 1/4 in throttle. You replace throttle stop with one from a YZ450 to gain full power. At the end of the day in my experience the air cooled bike. Less over heating no coolant to lose.

Yes, I'm familiar with the tuner mods done on FI bikes. On my carbed Sportster, I've richened up both pilot and mainjets as well as intake and exhaust upgrades.

John

[Edited on 7-24-2018 by John Harper]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.