Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: LA RIBERA GILL NETTING
Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 04:47 PM

From Skeete/ Loreto
Quote:

Tommy. I hope that you realize that you may not Win! I give you a lot of respect for Trying,

Skeete wish I could take the credit for the report on the Gill Netters in East Cape but Peter Langstraat who lives down there and reports for Western Outdoor News is the real hero. But I like your suggestion about finding out how they have stopped it or at least slowed them down in Loreto. Any one in Loreto like Fly fishing Pam have any ideas I can foward to Peter. Thanks I try to keep this thread alive from time to time because gill netting is just not right!

[Edited on 4-27-2005 by Tommy A]
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 08:24 PM
gill netting

I told myself I would not get caught in contaversy again,
but DAMNN! here we go again! Osprey is EXactly right in
in all he posted, You might as well pull your own teeth with
rusty vicegrips, as to fight this issue! Put up all the pictures
and cuss and moan all you want too, aint gonna change Jack
Sh**t till the gov here takes action, I have tried in ways to make change, all I get is skinned knuckles. Al far as Propepa
goes, they are just another bottom dwelling scum sucking
parisite, looking for all the MORDIDA that they can get, other
than that their fine folks! Wanna know more about PRFUCTA
U2me. I'm fine now my prozac finally kicked in!
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 08:44 PM
gill netting

Just reread all the posts on this subject, All of you folks are
right, something outside of whats not being done Needs to
get done who besides me wants to step up to the plate?
I can offer my boat, 3 guest rooms in my house, food, and
a round table for discusion, Wanna get serious about change, I am ready to get with it but cant do it alone.
I will push all the legal limits to stop this damn gill netting
but need some help, not just jokes and bull. Bob VanW
had a major confrantion about 2 years back, almost came down to an OK corral senario, time to do something again,
who on this board wants to be constructive and how?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 01:38 AM
I will forward this thread.....

to Jean-Michel Cousteau. He has been active in Baja this year. Maybe he can drop a line to a top ranking official.

http://oceanfutures.org

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 06:30 AM

Quote:

Although I did hear some tourists were fined a few weeks ago for clamming.

can you tell me any more about this incident?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 10:53 AM
Mike Odell

I feel for your Struggle. After all those years watching the Netting, the only enforcement I ever observed was in Front of rancho Sonrisa North of Loreto.
Now this nex suggestion is the only thing or way that I can think of to stop Netting: Get all of the Groups that are trying to Save the Fish , increase the intake of Money to the Point that they can pay the wages of the Small Gill Netters, in other words buy them off.

Next, find someone with the Political Muscle to Stop it as was done with the japanese Boats several years ago.

Skeet/Loreto
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 01:04 PM
Just reading this now...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy A
From Skeete/ Loreto
Quote:

Tommy. I hope that you realize that you may not Win! I give you a lot of respect for Trying,

Skeete wish I could take the credit for the report on the Gill Netters in East Cape but Peter Langstraat who lives down there and reports for Western Outdoor News is the real hero. But I like your suggestion about finding out how they have stopped it or at least slowed them down in Loreto. Any one in Loreto like Fly fishing Pam have any ideas I can foward to Peter. Thanks I try to keep this thread alive from time to time because gill netting is just not right!

[Edited on 4-27-2005 by Tommy A]

My advice, and you won't like it, is shut up or risk being deported and or harassed in every possible way. There are plenty of nets around Loreto and there's not a damn thing we can do about it. sorry but that's the truth.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 03:12 PM

Listen to Pam!

The people who helped form the national Park in Loreto and 25 miles out had some very Strong Pull in Mexico city. they were able to get a lot done.
this happened a short time before Pam came to Loreto.

years ago the rumor was that mexico city allowed theNational Park in Exchange for leaving all the other fisherman alone.
When the Park Opened in Loreto there were Military Boats Patrolling and boarding all fishing boats, went over until everyone realized they were indeed going to enforce the rules, they also moved out all Shrimpers.

You had better realize that what ever you do you are taking away a Mexicanos Beer, Food, and way of Life!, and let me tell you they will not go easy. I lived for 4 years with some of those fisherman. They can Split your Stomach, fill it with rocks in Short Order.

Please be carefull.

Skeet/Loreto
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 03:30 PM

I'll go along with Pam and Skeet on this one. My philosophy has been and still is "don't try to protect the Mexicans from themselves". If this problem has been brought up to the appropriate authorities. That's all that can be done without stirring the pot and possibly paying with your immigration status.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 03:42 PM

Hey, Skeet....

I'm sure you're right about these guys.. still, I wonder what they're going to do for 'beer, food and way of life' when they've seined and gill-netted and long-lined the last of the fish; when the gulf is as dead as the Salton Sea. Maybe they'll all caddy for the golfers, there sure as hell won't be any fishermen coming down.

I'm looking at Costa Rica trips as it is already.

Neil

"You had better realize that what ever you do you are taking away a Mexicanos Beer, Food, and way of Life!, and let me tell you they will not go easy. I lived for 4 years with some of those fisherman. They can Split your Stomach, fill it with rocks in Short Order."
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:28 AM
Neil

Neil: As you know Mexico is very slow to change, Baja Faster due to being so close to LA, but you cannot make a Mexicano thnk about "Tommorrow" when all of his life he only thinks about "Today'.

When the Shrimpers did not get any Shrimp, they started seining the sierra out of the Bays for Fertilizer.

Try to change a Mexicano fisherman is like trying to change a Welfare Recipient from catching one of the Free busses to Las Vegas, a Liberal from voting for Hiliary, a conservative voting for Condie Rice. Once people,are trained a certain way it sometimes takes a Stick of Dynamite to wake them up.

Skeet/Loreto
neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 03:42 PM

Skeet;
Yeah, you're probably right; it leaves damn little hope for the gulf. I'll bet all the fish saved by catch-and-release by all the sports fishers for a year doesn't make up for the by-catch of one full-time gillnetter.

"Once people,are trained a certain way it sometimes takes a Stick of Dynamite to wake them up."

I guess this brings us back to the limpet mines, no?

Neil
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam

My advice, and you won't like it, is shut up or risk being deported

If the nets are being used illegally then how can reporting a crime lead to deportation? Does Migra think it operates above the law?

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 07:41 AM
wanna hurt em? Bad?

If you can just find out where they are sellling the goods.....and confront that marketplace. Then they be out of venders to sell too........... a bit better than blowing up the nets. If the venders dont stop buying....pass the word around...dont do business with the vender's outlets.

[Edited on 4-29-2005 by yankeeirishman]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.