Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Ignacio Whale Watch
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 06:40 AM
San Ignacio Whale Watch

My husband and I were hoping to fly into Loreto, rent a car and whale watch in San Ignacio. GN is just a little too far for this jaunt. Surprisingly Kuyima is already booked for for the dates we can make it, mid-February. Are there other vendors with the " eco cabins" that we can book with?
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 08:12 AM

Try Shari in BA. She has connections in Laguna Ojo De Libre, near Guerrero Negro.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 09:17 AM

If GN is too far, you could always stay in town in San Ignacio and go out daily for a whale watch - hotel can hook you up. IMO, you should try to get to GN as well. Take the bus, stay in town - book with local outfit the night before, or a day trip with Shari.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 05:30 PM

yes mid February is peak season and many tours are already booked especially President's Day weekend. I work with a great fishing cooperative that have real sweet remote camp with a dining room with wonderful fresh seafood and organic veggies, an estuary out back for bird watching, cabins on a white sand beach with whales right in front. Only 12 people at a time in camp so it is nice and intimate and our naturalist stays in camp with you too..it's only a couple hours further than San Ignacio and a good option!

[Edited on 8-18-2018 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
My husband and I were hoping to fly into Loreto, rent a car and whale watch in San Ignacio. GN is just a little too far for this jaunt. Surprisingly Kuyima is already booked for for the dates we can make it, mid-February. Are there other vendors with the " eco cabins" that we can book with?

Kuyima will provide tent accomodations, if you like light-duty roughing it.
For other places with cabanas, Try
Pachico’s Ecotours
Baja ecotours
antonio’s Ecotours

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the info. Shari, we will do that when we are retired and have the leisure time to enjoy the journey. Hotels are already booked for dates we can make as are the ecotours. So I am actually booking for our anniversary in 2020!

Come on retirement, three more years!!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 08:04 AM

There is a small hotel in san Ignacio that I bet is not filled for Feb. as it is not well known. Still interested in Feb. 2019?

[Edited on 8-18-2018 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
There is a small hotel in san Ignacio that I bet is not filled for Feb. as it is not well known. Still interested in Feb. 2019?

I made my October reservation at La Huerta and asked if they had rooms in February, nothing worked for us. I ended up booking with Kuyima for February 2020!
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 12:02 AM

www.facebook.com/antoniosecotours.mx/

This is an amazing family run business. It is worth the trip just to visit even even if the whales are not in
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 09:06 AM

I second the recommendation. Nice family. We had 9 people a few years ago and one day we went out with Antonio Eco Tours and had a nice meal when we came back and all around great experience. We stayed in town and drove out.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 11:33 AM

I made my October reservation at La Huerta and asked if they had rooms in February, nothing worked for us. I ended up booking with Kuyima for February 2020!

Been using Kuyima for almost 20 years and they are a great organization. I personally prefer the camping side of the operation as it is a little less structured and there seems to be more research type folks at that location. But you cannot go wrong either way.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nbentley1  

Been using Kuyima for almost 20 years and they are a great organization. I personally prefer the camping side of the operation as it is a little less structured and there seems to be more research type folks at that location. But you cannot go wrong either way.

Well... I am a little on the older side, and I like the idea of a "bucket" for midnight runs... also 4 sturdy walls if the wind kicks up :). I am heading South in October, maybe we will have time to check out Antonio's!
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 08:55 AM

Antonios Eco-Tours.mx
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 11:57 AM

Don't overlook Puerto Lopez Mateos (on Magdalena Bay) which is also an excellent place to see the whales. 2-hour drive from Loreto, same time as it would take you to get to San Ignacio. Mula on this board is a good contact there for both whale-watching and accomodations- she may chime in on this...or you can contact her by U2U.

[Edited on 8-25-2018 by bajalinda]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.