BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Proposed pipeline project threatens wilderness in the Sierra de Juárez
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2018 at 08:27 PM
Proposed pipeline project threatens wilderness in the Sierra de Juárez

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/mexicolife/pumped-storage-lake-b...

The article locates the proposed pipeline and storage reservoirs in various places: 1. La Rumorosa, 2. 12k south of the border, 3. 10 kilometers north of El Trono Blanco and El Topo, two of the world’s most renowned climbing rocks.” (Funny, because Rancho El Topo has only six 50m routes, plus my 10m outdoor climbing wall. Trono Blanco is, in fact, a major climbing venue.)
"Cañon Cascada" must be a made-up name for the purposes of the project.

A little sleuthing to match photos to Google Earth shows the proposed site. The upper reservoir is 11 miles from Trono Blanco, 13.5 miles from Rancho El Topo, and 12.3 miles south of La Rumorosa.
The upper reservoir / "forebay" is at: 32°25' 2.68" N ; 115° 53'21.52" W

The mountain and canyon wilderness is being exploited by corporations. The other threat from the Rumorosa Wind Project remains. To date, there are approx. 40 wind generators near La Rumorosa and Hwy 2. The plans for hundreds more along the granite escarpment have stalled, for now...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-9-2018 at 08:42 PM

Have you driven the 8 recently?
Ocotillo area looks like wasteland of windmills, blinking lights and 100s of acres of solar panels. Tule wind project ruined McCain valley area. Sunrise power loop ruined the vistas throughout the area, stringing new high kv cables and lattice towers throughout, and several new mega-size substations. Driving the 8 at night is like passing through 40 miles of airport runway lighting, klieg lights and red blinkies. You can’t camp in McCain valley anymore without the being accosted by thumping of turbine blades and blinking red lights of turbines.
Pretty soon humpty trumpty’s wall will be coming with more industrial blight.

I hope mexico is smart enough to say no!

[Edited on 9-10-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-9-2018 at 11:10 PM

Progress comes with a "price" ... no getting around that one

Then toss in more people and what do ya got

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Are 7 Billion humans enough?

Latest projections are 12 billion by 2100. The largest growth in Africa.

https://www.iflscience.com/environment/human-population-may-...

[Edited on 8-25-2018 by SFandH]

quote edited for focus on population

[Edited on 9-10-2018 by wessongroup]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 11:26 AM

Looking at Mexican expenditures on infrastructure in the recent past, would have me think this isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Now, remember, the northern Baja grid is tied to California in the U.S.A.: they are actually part of the California market. So we can market Mexican power to California.

"'This will bring home foreign currency to Mexico, because it will be operated in Mexico. This closed-loop pumped storage facility moves water up and down through a three-meter pipe, producing no emissions or effluents, so the area around the lake [which needs to be created - in the desert] can readily be turned into a park [for whom]. The Cañon Cascada site is located in the Sierra Juárez, just 10 kilometers north of El Trono Blanco and El Topo, two of the world’s most renowned climbing rocks.'"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2018 at 09:53 AM

Interesting
dionbrown

[*] posted on 9-13-2018 at 10:36 AM

Very interesting. Natural gas isn't a bad consideration either. Lots of companies are moving towards solar but their are other alternatives as well. Harry Nadjarian, Founder of Industrial Motor Power Solutions now has the leading company supplying power equipment and natural gas plants are on the rise.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2018 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Have you driven the 8 recently?
Ocotillo area looks like wasteland of windmills, blinking lights and 100s of acres of solar panels. Tule wind project ruined McCain valley area. Sunrise power loop ruined the vistas throughout the area, stringing new high kv cables and lattice towers throughout, and several new mega-size substations. Driving the 8 at night is like passing through 40 miles of airport runway lighting, klieg lights and red blinkies. You can’t camp in McCain valley anymore without the being accosted by thumping of turbine blades and blinking red lights of turbines.
Pretty soon humpty trumpty’s wall will be coming with more industrial blight.

I hope mexico is smart enough to say no!

[Edited on 9-10-2018 by mtgoat666]

WHAT???
This 'eco-friendly' renewable type of power generation is what you guys have been wanting America to have. Now that it is in place you still aren't happy. Like the Kennedy's who prevented them from going up in sight of their beach in Massachusetts. So, is nuclear power is okay with you, or American 'clean-coal' perhaps??? How many square miles of the once-pristine desert do you want to be covered with solar panels like that eyesore on the way to Vegas?
Smells of hypocrisy goat and you would call me out if I had said what you posted. Agree?

I dont think wilderness should be buldozed to put in solar panels. Solar should be distributed, on roof tops. I have panels on my house, and my annual net electric us is negative.
Wind turbines should be in windy developed areas, not in wilderness. I am all for alt energy, but not at expense of open space and wilderness.
Distributed generation is better than remote utility-scale generation

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-13-2018 at 04:11 PM

I hope Mr. Musk or another, creates the tech and at a low cost so power can be made and stored by everyone, everywhere! The transition from power distributors having all the business to sharing a larger part of that economy will be interesting.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2018 at 06:16 PM

California becomes first state to require solar panels on new homes

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-becomes-firs...

Photovoltaic roofing materials are in the near future. Every PV roof and home battery system tied to the grid and generating/storing/ providing electricity to the grid 24/7. Hundreds of thousands of mini power plants.

[Edited on 9-14-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2018 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
California becomes first state to require solar panels on new homes

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-becomes-firs...

Photovoltaic roofing materials are in the near future. Every PV roof and home battery system tied to the grid and generating/storing/ providing electricity to the grid 24/7. Hundreds of thousands of mini power plants.

[Edited on 9-14-2018 by SFandH]

I think putting solar on my home has worked out great!
Electric bill is net zero (i even get back about $50 per year).
Every house in CA should have it!

Woke!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2018 at 06:50 PM

My sister claims the same and she lives in the suburbs north of NYC. Not the sunniest area.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.