BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 24°14'24.6"N 110°13'21.0"W what is going on here ?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 03:51 PM

Are the excavations just north of there an active mine? I thought it was a rock quarry, but I could be wrong.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 04:22 PM

north of the ash storage are several gravel pits - no valuable metal mining.

Pretty much everything southeast of La Paz has a mining claim on it. Sooner or later, they all will be active again.
Second largest claim, Cacachilas, is owned by the Waltons (Walmart). That might give you an idea of what is coming.

There is some hope in more solar production - but it is still way more expensive than an oil fired power plant.
The path is clear - more tourism, more hotels, more condos, more Mexicans relocating to the area, more people with anything electric, will require more power. More power = dirtier air. Good part is, it kills only the locals and long term residents. Visiting tourists are rarely affected.
Inhalers are a hot selling items in Farmacias.
I have one in every room, pocket, car.
They are cheap at least.

A friend not long ago chocked to death in La Paz.
Welcome to paradise.

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 04:26 PM

I apologize for my negative posts.
Still recovering from one year of bad doctors in La Paz almost costing me my leg.
Don't worry - life is good. I'll recover.
I'll handle CFE like politics - I'll just ignore it.
Can't change it anyway.

[Edited on 9-16-2018 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
"In ??... the whale watching area down from G N , I saw the ground level solar hot water system in action for the shower rooms- very slick. Used the tap to make some hot chocolate in the morning. Tasted good. "

Maybe you are referring to Kuyima campground in San Ignacio lagoon?

They use passive solar for hot water & wind to generate electricity for camp use.

Correct W ista. had to go back to the satellite to double check. Recognized the red roofs. greatest collection of shells I have ever seen.... piles and piles everywhere. I'll look for the photo of the hot water heater. Just stuck around for a morning visit. camped on an empty beach an hour or so before this spot.

4x4 - thank you for the commentary on what the tourists don't see.
Paradise is not always like what the postcards show. I expect the concerns on environment will be a slow progress as the younger generation moves into power. I was expecting to see garbage in Baja and wasn't disappointed, plastic bags are the tumbleweeds of modern times. I did see quite a few buildings in the smaller spots with Piensa Verde painted on them. So that is encouraging. The very stop for me was Cabo Pulmo and lo and behold... a recycling station with 4 bins. Never did see another , but its a start.

David K - nice mining photos, Some great titles in your library for next trip...that is alot of history to get lost in.

[Edited on 9-17-2018 by white whale]

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
plastic bags are the tumbleweeds of modern times.

We called them the "Mexican National Flags" back in the 80's. They were hung on every fence line along Hwy 1.

John
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
plastic bags are the tumbleweeds of modern times.

We called them the "Mexican National Flags" back in the 80's. They were hung on every fence line along Hwy 1.

John

banned in ensenada in 2019......its a start!:yes:
mlspottery

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 07:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
north of the ash storage are several gravel pits - no valuable metal mining.

Pretty much everything southeast of La Paz has a mining claim on it. Sooner or later, they all will be active again.
Second largest claim, Cacachilas, is owned by the Waltons (Walmart). That might give you an idea of what is coming.

There is some hope in more solar production - but it is still way more expensive than an oil fired power plant.
The path is clear - more tourism, more hotels, more condos, more Mexicans relocating to the area, more people with anything electric, will require more power. More power = dirtier air. Good part is, it kills only the locals and long term residents. Visiting tourists are rarely affected.
Inhalers are a hot selling items in Farmacias.
I have one in every room, pocket, car.
They are cheap at least.

A friend not long ago chocked to death in La Paz.
Welcome to paradise.

Here is a link to what is going on with the Cacachilas mining claim:
https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/welcome/
The mountain biking trails are amazing and the produce and cheeses are a delicious addition to the weekly farmers market in La Ventana / El Sargento (November-March)
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 07:24 AM

a bit old (numbers are way up since 2013), but still valid:
http://www.meloncoyote.org/issue_v4_n1/page04.html

Harald Pietschmann
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 11:50 AM

Regarding Rancho Cacachilas, sounds really great. Their web site says that their goal is eco-friendly use of the land and they acquired the mining rights as a sort of preemptive action so some other entity would be able to mine it. Wow, what a cool thing to do, if I had Walton money I would do the same thing: buy a big chuck of Baja and then acquire the mining concession and then NOT mine it. Sure, mining brings jobs, but in ten years the miners are gone and the place is ruined while eco tourism can bring jobs for decades and the land is protected. The thing that has me slightly confused is they say that they were required to do a certain amount of exploration (core drilling) activity. I have seen plenty of other old mining concessions that have no annual work required so is this some sort of unique requirement for that site? Or is the whole eco thing just a smoke screen.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 04:55 PM

Mines are sometimes a good investment, even if they are not producing at the moment. Once metal prices go up enough, the return can be handsome.
To have your mining claim produce money with outdoorsy stuff and produce good eco PR at the same time is brilliant.
I don't know of any mining claim that made money when dormant.

And hey, I am not suggesting that eco is a front and mining is the goal. Just a possibility from the book of investing.

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.