Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ferry la paz mazatlan
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 09:34 AM
ferry la paz mazatlan

Just saw a posting on Talk Baja which said the "passenger ferry" from Mazatlan to La Paz was no longer running. I'm not a member of Talk Baja so I'm asking here if anyone knows what this is about. I can find nothing online about Baja Ferries shutting down their route between La Paz and Mazatlan. We'll call the office tomorrow and find out, I guess, but meanwhile I'm hoping someone here can fill me in. I feel a bit panicked. Is this person referring to the old passenger ferry that, I believe, hasn't run in some years? Or what?
Appreciate any insights.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 09:48 AM

Maintenance work.
Use ferry to Topolombampo instead.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 11:09 AM

Any idea how long it'll be down for maintenance? Or a link to a site that can give me up to date and accurate information? I've looked and am at wits end. I've a trip coming up that has to get me to Mazatlan and points further south and would like to incorporate a Baja trip. Going to Topolombampo adds an extra days travel and high toll road costs.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 11:40 AM

David, where did you find out that it was down for maintenance? Just wondering. I couldn't find info anywhere.
Also, we've done the Topo route a couple of times and I don't recommend it except in emergencies. The ferry arrives in Topo in the middle of the night and that is not a great place to be wandering about at that hour. If your destination is south of Mazatlan it also adds hours of uninteresting (IMO) driving. Arrival in Mazatlan is first thing in the morning, giving one all day to get settled before nightfall. And that's where the best in Mexico begins............again, IMO.
Thanks for the info, David.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and jane  
David, where did you find out that it was down for maintenance? Just wondering. I couldn't find info anywhere.
Also, we've done the Topo route a couple of times and I don't recommend it except in emergencies. The ferry arrives in Topo in the middle of the night and that is not a great place to be wandering about at that hour. If your destination is south of Mazatlan it also adds hours of uninteresting (IMO) driving. Arrival in Mazatlan is first thing in the morning, giving one all day to get settled before nightfall. And that's where the best in Mexico begins............again, IMO.

Sure thing, as a member of Discover Baja Travel Club, one gets great monthly newsletters: http://www.discoverbaja.com/2018/09/04/september-2018-baja-b...

Just scroll down to read this:

La Paz Ferry to Mazatlán Closed for Maintenance Ferry service to and from La Paz and Mazatlán is currently suspended as the route is closed for maintenance for an undisclosed amount of time. Service between La Paz and Topolobampo is running as usual. For more information about taking the ferry from La Paz to mainland Mexico, read our article.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 01:01 PM

Muchas gracias.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 04:19 PM

There used to be a route between Cabo and Mazatlán! The dock and facility was still there in 1986, but we were directed to go back to La Paz because the ferry was out of service at that time.

I don't think it ever covered that route again! I believe the terminal was a victim of skyrocketing real estate prices, and possibly low volume of users.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 05:47 PM

It was actually Cabo to Puerto Vallarta. The thought was resort city to resort city. The reported problem was mainland criminals used to to prey upon tourists in Baja then escape back to the mainland.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 06:36 PM
Interesting link!

I was looking for historical ferry routes, and found this link, which contradicts everything else I have found:

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Puerto-Vallarta/Cabo-San-Lucas

The route map is dated 2018!

Edit: I checked the link a little more thoroughly, and the map inset is bogus! It showes a direct sailing from P.V. to Los Cabos, but actually involoves a bus or car to Mazatlan, ferry accross to La Paz, then road trip south!

[Edited on 9-17-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 11:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Bob and jane  

Sure thing, as a member of Discover Baja Travel Club, one gets great monthly newsletters: http://www.discoverbaja.com/2018/09/04/september-2018-baja-b...

Just scroll down to read this:

La Paz Ferry to Mazatlán Closed for Maintenance Ferry service to and from La Paz and Mazatlán is currently suspended as the route is closed for maintenance for an undisclosed amount of time. Service between La Paz and Topolobampo is running as usual. For more information about taking the ferry from La Paz to mainland Mexico, read our article.

Thank you David for the link.... I signed up for their monthly newsletter.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2018 at 11:26 AM

Talked to the ferry office in La Paz today. The La Paz/Mazatlan ferry is scheduled to be running once again on Nov. 20. It has NOT been shut down as reported on Talk Baja.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2018 at 11:35 AM

from La Paz the ferry is over night and a nice sleep. then 1 hour drive or so to Mazatlan on a really nice freeway . Tolls all of about 10 bucks..equal to the Bay Bridge in SF. Much faster than Ferry to Mazatlan which can take upwards of 18 hours...so I have heard.

If money is the issue and time is not you could probably save 5 bucks by waiting until it reopens the route.

We were wondering why we didn't see the Ferry every morning for a while cursing by. Good to know, thanks
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2018 at 11:40 AM

Actually, the ferry to Topolobambo gets in just after midnight. Hard to get much sleep. And the drive to Mazatlan from Topo is much closer to 4 hours than one. FYI Much better to go to Mazatlan and arrive in the morning light. Also, the new ferry, which has been running the last 2 years, is much faster. Trips take about 12 hours not counting loading and unloading.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2018 at 02:55 PM

I came across this article today.
Headline: Baja Ferries cancelled passenger service to Mazatlan because cargo is better business (if I translated it correctly). Article dated yesterday.

https://cokiemoster3.blogspot.com/2018/09/baja-ferries-cance...

This throws a wrench into the service starting Nov 20 ??

Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2018 at 02:24 PM

I have to say "vamos a ver." We talked to our friend at the Baja Ferries office in La Paz. She has worked with us to get our tickets for our January trip for the last 5 years. SHE says the story is untrue, that the ferry will be running. We're going to make reservations soon (don't have to pay for them right away) and hope for the best. I won't be surprised if it doesn't run, nor if it does run. Hopefully it will all be clear before the end of the year.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.