BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Passenger pickup at CaboAirport.
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 02:10 PM
Passenger pickup at CaboAirport.

Has anyone ever picked up a passenger at the Los Cabos airport? On Google earth it looks like only hired vans are permitted to the front of the International terminal.

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 02:48 PM

International flights all arrive at terminal 2. The best way to meet your arriving party is to meet them upstairs at the departure level.

Traveling Baja for 50 years.
BajaBill74
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 04:07 PM

You can't get up there without a ticket.

But what I want to know can you drive right up to the terminal? Google Earth shows only vans in front of the terminal and in the parking area.

jedge42
Junior Nomad

Mood: Light and variable

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  
You can't get up there without a ticket.

But what I want to know can you drive right up to the terminal? Google Earth shows only vans in front of the terminal and in the parking area.

you can drive to the departure level and pick people up there ... once they come out of customs, they need to go upstairs ...

or you can park in the lots and walk over to the bar that is just outside customs on that same level ...

jake
maspacificoII

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 04:30 PM

Parking lot terminal 2. Go in and take stairs down to arrivals and wait there. No need to wait with the time share crowd at the bar.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 07:10 PM

Use the parking lot and be there to meet them.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 07:12 PM

I also find it less hassle to simply park and go wait for passengers in the arrivals area on the lower level.

But if you are really set on not parking your car, tell the arriving passenger to go up to the departures level, then go outside and look for you. There is an escalator and stairs to the upper level that you can see as you come out of customs and through the big room where the time share and transport people try to sell you something.

That said, you cannot park up on the departures level and just wait - they really make you move along. So, you could spend a lot of time circling around depending on how long it takes your friend to get through immigration and customs - and that can sometimes take a while.

SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 07:58 PM

We just pick people up at the upper departures level. Never had any problems this way.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 09:00 PM

If you circle, the cops will stop you and do a revision. Expect to have your plates checked for current sticker and be asked for your registration and DL if you go to the airport.
BajaBill74
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 09:09 PM

Has anyone else experienced the kind of treatment that gnukid posted?

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 09:13 PM

I was just there twice last week and pass all the time, the Federal police park on the inside circulation road periodically and stop every car that isn't current and hassle the driver, mostly gringos.

Alternatively, visitors could take a taxi to the freeway to meet you, or a specific destination or taqueria, if you do not want to enter the airport. Same thing goes for any POE or federal facility such as Pichilingue.

[Edited on 10-25-2018 by gnukid]
jedge42
Junior Nomad

Mood: Light and variable

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  
Has anyone else experienced the kind of treatment that gnukid posted?

I go to that airport two dozen times a year or more ... never been stopped or hassled in any way ...

jake
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 08:12 AM

Once on the street, have your passenger take a cab to the restaurant that's about 100 yards from the rental car lots - about 1 mi. from the airport. Maybe gnukid knows the name. Or at the entrance to the area where Cactus car rental - and several other rental car lots are - large area to park and wait. Avoid airport traffic - one party will be waiting. Right at the highway entrance too.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 10:29 AM

Have your papers in order and don't worry about the cops. Hundreds of people pick up passengers every day. It's just not necessary to make your friend or relative take a cab somewhere because you are afraid, unless you are living on the lam or something.

Arrive at the airport about 10 minutes after your friend is supposed to land. It can often take up to an hour for them to get through the line at immigration etc. Proceed to the parking lot right before terminal 2 and get your little ticket at the meter by the gate. You will need it when you leave.

Now go into the terminal and wait in the lobby on the lower level where everyone passes though on their way out to the commercial pick up/bar area. Your friend has to walk right by you on the way out. Tell him or her that is where you will meet.

Before you leave the parking lot you will need to pay at the little kiosk machine. Have a 50 peso note handy. Should cost about 35 Pesos if you are there less than an hour. Don't expect to be able to pay with dollars of anything bigger than 100 pesos. The machine will spit your ticket back out for you to use to get out the gate.

I've been on the giving and receiving end of this transaction several times a year for many years. It is no big deal. And yes, I did get pulled over by the federal police once a few years ago. They wanted to see my driver license and registration. Then I went my merry way.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 10:42 PM

I pick people up and drop them off there all the time. Never had any problems. Have them go all the way up to the departure level. You can't park for more than a couple of minutes, but you can either go to the OXXO and wait for them to call you when they get through aduana, or circle through until they come out. I usually just time it so I get there about 45 minutes after the flight lands, and my party is standing on the curb waiting.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 10:24 AM

I usually park at the lot and wait upstairs for arrivals, or park at OXXO. It's difficult to time an arrival unless a passenger calls from outside after arriving.

Usually just park and hang out.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.