Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Car accident
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 12:32 PM
Car accident

I just got rear-ended here in Ensenada by a Mexican National who was driving a 83' Toyota. I was stopped at a light and he just was'nt paying attention and smacked me. His car did not have any plates or registration and he did'nt even have a drivers license. When the police arrived I gave them my registration and license. The damage was minimal, about $700 for my vehicle and his car suffered enough damage that the radiator was pushed in the engine. Probably totaled. Heck, it was totaled before he hit me. Needless to say he said it was my fault for stopping too fast but I had been stopped for at least 1 minute prior to the accident. I had a witness. My car was towed to the police impound lot as was his. We went before the Ministerio Publico and the judge determined that the accident was his fault and was ordered to pay for my damages. He told the judge that at present he was not working and could not pay.. The judge told him to pay 200 pesos per month none the less. By that rate it will take three years to pay me. He did not have any insurance, but what Mexican has insurance here in Mexico? Im sure I will never see my money.

Please tell me then why does Baja allow cars on the road with no plates, no current registration and drivers with no valid drivers license? All you have to do is drive down the street and you will see several vehicles in this condition and some with California Plates with a sticker from 1990 and the police do not do anything. The State Police here have tried to enforce this law but there are more cars on the road now more than ever with no plates.

I was treated with alot of respect from the judical system here and the Judge told me he wished he could have done more.When I got my car out from the impound lot everything was intact and nothing was stolen but Im still very upset in that I carry alot of Insurance and truly believe that if this was my fault the outcome would have been alot different......

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 08:33 AM

I had the opportunity a couple years ago to pose that same question to some folks who are fairly high up in the BC political scene - that is, why all the illegal cars aren't just impounded.

They kind of laughed and said there wouldn't be enough room to store all the cars.

I think the real reason is that the police realize that many poeple just can't afford to import/register their vehicles. I mean how fun would it be for a cop to spend all day impounding the only means people have to get around? What are you going to do with a woman with a car full of kids - or some dude going to work to support his family.

It's probably about the same priority local police give to upholding immigration laws in the US.

Of course if the vehicle's a newer more desirable model they'll take it and give it to their boss - that's a different deal.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 09:32 AM

Last year my Land Rover was plowed into just as your car was. I could have written the same story as you, except my incident happened in Ca! Oh?..the driver walked also! Count your lucky stars that you didn?t get injured.

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 09:46 AM

LL said -

Please tell me then why does Baja allow cars on the road with no plates, no current registration and drivers with no valid drivers license.

Yankee - yeah it can happen in the US too - but the problem with unregistered/unplated/uninsured vehicles in the US is nothing compared to Mexico. Police don't look the other way in the US as they usually do in Mexico. I think that was LL's question.

Nice weather we've been having - had a few cold ones in F.O. at a congal on San Juan last weekend.
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 10:50 AM

You figure it out. All those unplated vehicles are worth 200 pesos to any cop who has the time to stop them.:lol:

Mexican law=a vague point of refrence.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 02:36 PM

LL
Last week here in San Felipe there were two sets of vehicle police in town. Everytime I went anywhere they both had somebody stopped.
They were checking for valid drivers liscence and registration. Insurance is not mandentory here. You just have a lot more headaches without it.
I think they were working on a commission because they were actually running up to the cars they had stopped.
Local traffic in town was light this weekend.
burro bob
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 03:39 PM

Me No- You are right but I hate to think that it may be true. The mordida has been here ever since Cortez set foot on land and the Mexican Police have it down to a science. You just have to be one step ahead of them to avoid that problem. I have to go to Oaxaca next week but I will be back next weekend. Do you want to go fishing? Let me know.....

Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 04:17 PM

LL. Sounds good. I will give you a call when I get down there.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.