BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Insurance doesn't cover Hwy 5 ??
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  
Quote: Originally posted by philodog  
I get my insurance thru Vagabundos and I got a long email came from their insurance carrier, ADAVIS GLOBAL , with all sorts of info including road conditions.

Something doesn't sound right …..

I don't believe that ADAVis Global is Vagabundos current insurance carrier. I have a current insurance policy (liability only and issued about two weeks ago) from Vagabundos and the policy is issued by ABA Seguro.

RnR, you are correct! I didn't look at the actual insurance policy, just assumed it was Adavis but it IS ABA Seguro as you said. The bad news is in ABA's exclusions it says this:

XI. The losses or damages caused by
the Vehicle described in the cover
sheet of the policy caused for
using non-paved roads or which
conditions render them unusable.

So we're back to square one. Actually it's worse than Adavis since it specifically says ANY non paved road.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 12:34 PM

Maybe if you have questions you should contact Geoff at Bajabound. He will give you the correct answer without trying to sell you anything
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 04:34 PM

That wording philodog posted reads to me as saying if the vehicle breaks from unpaved roads then that is not covered. I get Mexican insurance for accident or theft coverage and not 'self-inflicted' road damage.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 05:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That wording philodog posted reads to me as saying if the vehicle breaks from unpaved roads then that is not covered. I get Mexican insurance for accident or theft coverage and not 'self-inflicted' road damage.

David,
What you have not done here is respond to the primary question presented regarding insurance coverage for unpaved roads. "Self-inflicted" comment is a bit snarky....perhaps getting hit by another vehicle on a dirt road could be seen as self-inflicted by
Goat....simply because of being off pavement in a truck is reserved only for knuckledraggers...but the rest of us would like clarification on the OP question.

Haven't you ever wondered if the accident insurance you buy covers you off paved roads? That is what this thread is really about.

To add to the quandry: Does Mexican insurance cover theft if vehicle is stolen while off a paved road or in a semi-remote area?

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Maybe if you have questions you should contact Geoff at Bajabound. He will give you the correct answer without trying to sell you anything

well here's bajabound's reply to philodogs same question he asked a year ago.......

Got this response from Bajabound:

On the ACE terms and conditions you can find that information in the
Exclusions section, which are in sections 1.6.
The 12th exclusion states:

- Damages caused from traveling on nonconventional or non-municipal
roads.

On HDI's terms and conditions, the information is found in Section 4,
Clause 1.
The information reads:

- Loss or damages sustained or caused in the operation of the insured
vehicle off conventional roads or on roads not in good driving condition.
(Conventional Road shall be understood as a road adapted and/or designed to
be used by vehicles authorized to transport passengers on a private basis,
and on which there are reasonable signs of the normal transit of vehicles).

Conventional roads are roads that are normally transited, have signage, and
are on a map are generally considered conventional roads. Dirt roads may be
municipal as well if they have these characteristics. There is no coverage
on roads that are impassable.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 06:09 PM

The internet chatter and sales pitches don’t mean anything. If you don’t understand your contract, you would best serve yourself by asking the other party you entered into contract. Ask you insurer to clarify your policy, don’t ask me or Dk or my kids or mother dear Abby. Ask your insurer! :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 06:58 PM

Willard just confirmed the answer.

Let’s go on for another 7 pages and end up with someone talking about ..........

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

David,
What you have not done here is respond to the primary question presented regarding insurance coverage for unpaved roads. "Self-inflicted" comment is a bit snarky....perhaps getting hit by another vehicle on a dirt road could be seen as self-inflicted by
Goat....simply because of being off pavement in a truck is reserved only for knuckledraggers...but the rest of us would like clarification on the OP question.

Haven't you ever wondered if the accident insurance you buy covers you off paved roads? That is what this thread is really about.

To add to the quandry: Does Mexican insurance cover theft if vehicle is stolen while off a paved road or in a semi-remote area?

The question was responded to before I got here... ASK YOUR INSURANCE AGENT. Beyond that, we are just chatting around the Internet campfire. What I said was just (to me) is common sense, after reading of philodog's reply (from a Baja Geoff post long ago). "If your vehicle is damaged from driving on unmaintained roads then the insurance company isn't covering that". Seems pretty understandable to me.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2018 at 06:07 AM

Not me anymore, but some here have vehicles that are still financed or leased. FULL COVERAGE is mandated. My State Farm policy will cover my truck in Mexico but only to 50 miles south of the borderline. It is sure comforting to know that my Baja Bound policy (with HDI Seguros) not only covers me for liability but my vehicle damage and covers if it is repaired in the United States. Plus LEGAL aid is included.
Once your vehicle is yours legally, then if you want to not have collision or theft coverage, well that is fine. As stated, liability is key.
We know there is a chance we will be jailed if anything or anyone is hurt, no matter who is at fault until the adjuster arrives to prove you are covered and can pay. Why would you not want this peace-of-mind?

David: You are partially correct on the State Farm Auto Policy (I have been an Agent for 35 years so I know it)

The answer is YES & NO

The SF Policy DOES cover you 50 miles South (No, not all the way to Ensenada)

It covers Physical Damage to your vehicle (theft & Vandalism (called Comprehensive) & Collision
&
****HUGE QUALIFIER**** Liability ****READ FURTHER****

Problem is Mexico DOES NOT RECOGNIZE US Liability!!!

If you rely on the Policy to keep you out of jail (or worse) you are sadly mistaken.
Without a Mexican Liability Policy that meets their liability limits you most likely will have your vehicle impounded and you will be incarcerated

***In my office I ALWAYS 100% of the time make sure my clients buy at least Mexican Liability Insurance no matter where they are going***

***And make sure the Mexican Policy includes LEGAL Representation****

The staff at BajaBound and Discover Baja can educate you more

OK any questions? LOL

(not yelling at you David or anyone else-- I like to use the ****

Cheers
Alan

Gscott
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2018 at 07:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

well here's bajabound's reply to philodogs same question he asked a year ago.......

Got this response from Bajabound:
On the ACE terms and conditions you can find that information in the
Exclusions section, which are in sections 1.6.
The 12th exclusion states:
- Damages caused from traveling on nonconventional or non-municipal
roads.
On HDI's terms and conditions, the information is found in Section 4,
Clause 1.
The information reads:
- Loss or damages sustained or caused in the operation of the insured
vehicle off conventional roads or on roads not in good driving condition.
Conventional roads are roads that are normally transited, have signage, and
are on a map are generally considered conventional roads. Dirt roads may be
municipal as well if they have these characteristics. There is no coverage
on roads that are impassable.

"normally transited" roads? "good driving condition"? "impassable"? Geeze.

According to whom? I just drove from San Javier to Comondu. So I guess it's passable and in good driving condition. But if you have problems it's neither and you are not covered!

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-22-2018 at 07:20 AM

Its been that way for a LONG time...Why is everyone so surprised? LOOOOOONG time ago, we endoed a Toyota truck while "exploring" the 500 course....Coverage was denied by both the Mexican and US Carriers.....Lesson learned after the fact, the hard way...If you gonna play, you gotta pay Cowboy up Kiddies...

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.