Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Surf fishing advice
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by baitcast  

Distance is not what its all cracked up to be! Halibut can be caught on both sides in knee deep water chasing bait and on the cold side jumping often.
These pic's were taken on the cold side using K/m's for the Butts andd squid for the WSB in very shallow water.........use 3/8 blue/crhome K/M's for many kinds of fish on both sides.
7' rod with either spinner/bait reels and 10# is plenty.....is just a start with but will get you going......have a great trip
Rob

Yep, halibut can be voracious top feeders in very shallow water at times. I target them from sandy beaches down south often.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 12:06 PM

I caught my personal best halibut (Alaskan) in 20 feet of water just off a beach that would be exposed at low tide.

It was 120 lbs, and I was in a 12.5 foot Zodiac using a seven foot rod trolling a herring for salmon.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2018 at 10:24 AM

I have had some magic days in Central Baja, Pacific side, catching Halibut in 3 feet of water on small surf days. I can often watch as the halibut follows the mag darter before smashing it. Super fun and you can use lighter gear for this.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-6-2018 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by baitcast  

Distance is not what its all cracked up to be! Halibut can be caught on both sides in knee deep water chasing bait and on the cold side jumping often.
These pic's were taken on the cold side using K/m's for the Butts andd squid for the WSB in very shallow water.........use 3/8 blue/crhome K/M's for many kinds of fish on both sides.
7' rod with either spinner/bait reels and 10# is plenty.....is just a start with but will get you going......have a great trip
Rob
[Edited on 12-4-2018 by baitcast]

Yeah, but a long cast still has to come back into shallow water. And while it is long, it can appeal to a whole different type of fish.

Shore fishing is about covering the most water that you can, until you find the fish. Keep walking until you find them, unless you see your lure go by them and they arent interested. Then, try changing lures. If they still ignore it, keep walking again.

[Edited on 12-6-2018 by Hook]
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 12-7-2018 at 11:25 AM

For sure moving is very important.....those fish aren't looking for you, its the other way around......those boys with the sand spikes and a bucket to set on won't get the same kind of action as you!
Back to distance, depending on the conditions, surf and other things such as time of day.…..they are always a bit closer early morn and in the late day...….and if you are a K/M guy you know the kind of distance that can be had with those things.

The atmosphere on the beach is hard to beat.....waves and sound on the west side warm water and little or no surf on the other, one of my favorite places to be.

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 12-7-2018 at 11:29 AM

For sure moving is very important.....those fish aren't looking for you, its the other way around......those boys with the sand spikes and a bucket to set on won't get the same kind of action as you!
Back to distance, depending on the conditions, surf and other things such as time of day.…..they are always a bit closer early morn and in the late day...….and if you are a K/M guy you know the kind of distance that can be had with those things.

The atmosphere on the beach is hard to beat.....waves and sound on the west side warm water and little or no surf on the other, one of my favorite places to be.

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 09:16 AM

These shallow water halibut are intriguing. How big do they get.

I remember catching what we called sand dabs as a kid. Looked like mini halibut. Maybe a quarter pound. Hope we weren’t killing baby halibut!

Can see that I’m gonna have to bring a huge variety of lures. Going to try bobber fishing as well, if I come across a spot.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 10:21 AM

If you Fish in the mangroves at Estero de Coyote or Magdalena Bay, try using small swim baits on light tackle. I fish the tidal pools at low tide. I get 90% of my strikes on the free fall as the jig hits the surface on the way to the bottom. Be ready and strike hard. Lots of Corvina and nice sand bass. Really need a kayak to fish these areas though.
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 11:29 AM

I have caught many halibut from my buddies Zodiac while stationed on Kodiak Island. I had a blast there and miss the outdoor scenery and excellent fishing.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I caught my personal best halibut (Alaskan) in 20 feet of water just off a beach that would be exposed at low tide.

It was 120 lbs, and I was in a 12.5 foot Zodiac using a seven foot rod trolling a herring for salmon.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 12:21 PM

At Laguna Manuel there use to be an old man and his girl friend living in a trailer near the fish camp storage bldg back in the 90s, both have since passed on. Anyway he told me that in the shallow water across from the fish camp boats there were lots of halibut. That you could spear them. I never tried to do it. Getting over there might be tricky unless you have a shallow bottom boat or if you made your way on the east side to the waters edge and waded in the water. We always caught halibut near the light house in one of the coves. But that was years ago, not lately.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 09:22 AM

Speaking of spearing fish.....anyone do this in Baja?

That’s like an entire other subject!
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 05:17 PM

I am a rookie but I love spear fishing.

I have a big gun if the water is clear and a short compressed air gun for when I am looking for triggers in the rocks. I use a flashlight with the short gun when looking for fish between the rocks.

Great sport for keeping in shape.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  
Speaking of spearing fish.....anyone do this in Baja?

That’s like an entire other subject!

Years ago in the 80s when we were scuba diving both free and with a tank we used what was called a Hawaiian sling. A three pointed spear about 6 feet long with a large rubber band attached to the other end. Use to get lots of fish. I've never used a spear gun. We did help get a local kid to the hospital in Ensenada that had accidentally shot himself in his thigh. He had laid his spear gun on a rock while he adjusted his wet suit and when he reached up for the gun it went off hitting him.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 07:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
At Laguna Manuel there use to be an old man and his girl friend living in a trailer near the fish camp storage bldg back in the 90s, both have since passed on. Anyway he told me that in the shallow water across from the fish camp boats there were lots of halibut. That you could spear them. I never tried to do it. Getting over there might be tricky unless you have a shallow bottom boat or if you made your way on the east side to the waters edge and waded in the water. We always caught halibut near the light house in one of the coves. But that was years ago, not lately.

I knew him well ... and it bothers me that I can’t remember his name. Roger, Pompano, knew him too. He actually served a term as mayor in Jesus Santa Maria. Told me he searched for happiness his whole life and found it on a dirt lot overlooking Manuela. He started every day with a long walk along the beach. He would pump ghost shrimp out of the mud and head out to the island in his boat where he got big spotfins. He was really dialed in on them. One of the many interesting characters you met in the old Baja.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 03:38 PM

Skipjack, did you happen to know an old guy I think his name was Jerry who lived part time at Jesus Maria. He fished the lagoon and the t long beach to the north on a quad with his dog. Said he owned a farm in northern Calif and would fly down from there to the lagoon. A real nice guy. This would be around the early 90's he was just slaying the white seabass from shore.
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 08:38 PM
Surf fishing

Retire check your U2U.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2018 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

I knew him well ... and it bothers me that I can’t remember his name.

Roger, Pompano, knew him too. He actually served a term as mayor in Jesus Santa Maria. Told me he searched for happiness his whole life and found it on a dirt lot overlooking Manuela. He started every day with a long walk along the beach. He would pump ghost shrimp out of the mud and head out to the island in his boat where he got big spotfins. He was really dialed in on them. One of the many interesting characters you met in the old Baja.

Maybe his name was Jerry, it sounds kind of familiar. Anyway his girl friends name was Shirley.

I met a couple in an RV out there early 90s, not sure of the year. They told me the old man's son came down and took him back to Escondido for cancer treatment where he died. Shirley died while he was still living at Manuel. I don't know if she died there or back in the states.

[Edited on 12-16-2018 by TMW]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.