Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bruce Barber RIP
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 11:14 AM
Bruce Barber RIP

Bruce Barber – Author – RIP 11/24/2018
Reported on his Face book page by his daughter.

https://www.facebook.com/bfbarber?__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=A...

Bruce has been pretty much quiet and invisible for quite a while. All of us who followed him in the desert will miss him.
Wrote the book “Of Sea and Sand”. All about the San Felipe area

http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/articles_stories/Articles2004/in...
and
http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/articles_stories/Articles2004/in...

Bruce.jpg - 90kB
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 11:29 AM

Via con Dios fellow Baja Nomad Bruce Barber.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 11:42 AM

Oh man, so sad... Bruce loved to write about the geology and history of the desert and canyons near San Felipe.

His book is thick with details on many of the eastside canyons. One of his pet projects was searching for the Lost Grave of Melchior Diaz and his attempts to contact Choral Pepper is how he and I began chatting. Choral died before he could reach her. Hopefully, they are having a grand time now talking Baja history!

Bruce devoted a large part of his book seeking the rock pile that Walter Henderson though might be the 1541 gravesite of Spanish explorer Melchior Diaz, the leader of the first land expedition to enter California (by crossing the desert instead of the sea).

In Choral Pepper's Desert Magazine article and her Baja book, she didn't give all the details of Walter Henderson's route. Bruce began the retrace about 20 miles too far north. Bruce used such great science to follow the directions Choral provided, he was just at the wrong starting point.

When I found Walter Henderson's 1967 letter to Choral Pepper, Bruce Barber was one of the first people I shared it with as I knew how much energy he put into finding Melchior Diaz.
I met Bruce at the Pyramid Resort Book Signing event.
Vaya Con Dios!

mailedD2.jpg - 21kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 12:19 PM

Bruce was a great guy, I had the opportunity to join him on a few off road trips -- I learned lots about northeast Baja from Bruce.

Bruce always had nice things to say about my photography and wanted me to come to the Senior Center to share them with others. I suggested that I stop by some night, but Bruce said, "Oh no, that won't work. Seniors don't go out after dark." He cracked me up.

RIP Bruce.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 12:06 AM
Posted on Facebook today:

Bruce Barber August 9, 1930 – November 24, 2018

With a heavy heart, the family of Bruce Barber announces his death on November 24, 2018 in Culver City, CA after a lengthy battle with prostate cancer. He was 88 years of age. He is survived by his daughters and their husbands Judi & Stan Jacobs and Pam & Russell Miley, seven grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

Bruce was born the youngest of three in Alameda, CA. Family life was turbulent, as his parents divorced when he was quite young. After years of a troubled life, Bruce ultimately ran off to join the Navy at 16.
He found a passion, structure, and success in the military though it was a short first stint. He served out his original tour, explored civilian life and ultimately rejoined the military. He was moved into the officer ranks, in an almost unheard of path shortly upon re-enlistment.

During his military career a friend brought him home for the holidays to Scranton, Pennsylvania where he met the love of his life, Freda on a blind date on New Year’s Eve. They were married shortly after.

As a Navy family, life was full of challenges for Bruce and Freda: long absences from home, moving every two to three years, the death of their young son from leukemia in 1966, all while raising two girls, put great strain on their lives.

Bruce served for 24-years in the Navy as a catapults and arresting gear officer. He had many “firsts” and was most proud of his unmatched record of safety in the launching and recovery of aircraft under his command. He retired from the Navy in 1976 and worked for ten years with Sysco Food Services as the head of their Big Rig Fleet Maintenance.

At 55, Bruce retired for good. He and Freda set out on what would be the
happiest times of their lives. They bought a fifth-wheel and traveled about the United States for a couple of years. In October/November 1985 they wandered down to San Felipe. It was love at first sight and where they lived until their health required a move north to Los Angeles in 2014.

Bruce and Freda found their paradise. In San Felipe they met people who shared their sense of wonder and adventure. Bruce loved the desert and being surrounded by those with similar passions that brought them south of the border. Here they built a life and community. They took over the local retired persons group, SFARP. Bruce was president for a few years, led many a dune buggy exploration and desert dining tour, and other Mexican vacations planned in exquisite detail. Freda followed him as president for thirteen years.

Bruce and Freda were not only involved with the American community in San Felipe but also deeply committed to locals and educating visitors about living in and respecting the Mexican traditions and family life.

Bruce lost his love, Freda, to breast cancer in May 2015. His own health began to deteriorate last year as he longed to be with Freda again. With great sadness, he was not able to return to his home in San Felipe to say a final goodbye. Bruce and Freda together left their mark on the community they cherished for 30 years and are grateful to all their friends who made San Felipe their wonderland.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 06:47 AM

Thanks for posting
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 07:17 AM

Very nice write up.

Making America Great Again
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 09:04 AM

What a story, retiring that young years ago was not very common, what a smart man! Enjoy life, it is short...
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 10:25 AM

What a life!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.