BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Felipe Trip 11/23-25 w/ Long Border wait time
AndyinLHC

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 09:25 AM
San Felipe Trip 11/23-25 w/ Long Border wait time

Had the Thanksgiving weekend off so I took my 12 year old to my buddy's house in San Felipe. We crossed at Calexico east on the way down on 11/23 with no wait getting in. It can be long on Friday evenings. Noticed some new concrete barricades in the median and along the edges with razor wire.
CBP getting ready for the migrant caravan?? We stopped in El Faro at our favorite roadside taco stand for el pastor tacos.

IMG_3974.JPG - 143kB
AndyinLHC

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 09:32 AM

My buddy's house in in the north campos area so we went into town the next afternoon for shrimp tacos and ceviche. We have a favorite place on the Malecon to go. Town was busy as they had the Mexicali-San Felipe annual bicycle ride.

IMG_3979.JPG - 122kB IMG_3980.JPG - 157kB
AndyinLHC

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 09:59 AM

After lunch we stopped at the fireworks store north of town for some bottle rockets. Then we hit the Pemex/OXXO by the El Dorado ranch entrance for supplies. My total was $195 pesos, I handed The girl a $500 peso note as I needed some smaller bills. She examined it pretty good for counterfeiting reasons i presume. She tries to hand me $205 back?? I tell her no and go to show her on the screen the total and it was gone. She was acting kinda strange and just looked at me. I point at the bills and tell her "no tres-cientos" which i think is 300 (my spanish not so good). She puts one of the 100 notes back and gets a 200 out and gives me this look like oh sorry. I think she was trying to scam me.
AndyinLHC

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 10:05 AM

My friend brought down a big spiral cut ham and other sides from the states and we cooked a big dinner for the caretaker at the campo and his familia as well as another couple from Oregon. It was his espoza's birthday so my buddy made her a shrimp c-cktail for an appetizer. The dinner turned out well and it was a beautiful night with a full moon rising over the Sea of Cortez.

IMG_3982.JPG - 109kBIMG_3983.JPG - 48kB
AndyinLHC

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 10:17 AM

When we left on Sunday my son and I decided to cross at Algodones since it was a holiday weekend and were worried about a long border line in Mexicali. We got almost into town when we hit a traffic jam about a mile out. I saw window washers and pan handlers so i knew that was a bad sign. I got out to talk to the guy in front of me in line since i saw him talking with the window wash guys. I asked him if this traffic jam was the border line or a wreck ahead. He confirmed my fears that it was the border line. I think everybody had the same idea about crossing at the smaller station. Four hours later we finally got across. My longest wait to date. The CBP agent was really questioning me like i've never encountered before. He was asking me questions again and again like trying to see if I was going to change my story. I was glad he was doing his due diligence to a point. I need to get off my a$$ and apply for the SENTRI pass. Still a good trip with my kid as he's getting older and won't want to hang out with me soon. He loves going down there which makes me happy as he knows I love it too. Thanks for reading and safe travels down south folks!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 10:31 AM

Thanks for sharing!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 10:34 AM

Awesome report. Lots of great food pics, YAY!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 10:34 AM

Awesome Turkey Day!

bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 11:04 AM

Crossed that Sunday night Mexicali West, 1930hrs, 1 hour 15 minutes to cross.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 12:52 PM
Not to rub salt into the wound, but.....

We crossed the same day at Mexicali east around 11:00 a.m. - two cars in front of me....SENTRI lane.

We had put it off time and again as well, finally three years ago we decided to follow through and though the process seemed to take a long time, every crossing now we are grateful for the program.

A friend & his girlfriend just applied, took less than 4 weeks start to finish, interview and all.

Time to go for it!

John M

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.