Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Raining cats an dogs in bcs
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 06:08 AM
Raining cats an dogs in bcs

Started yesterday afternoon. Poured all night. Still raining. Don’t remember this kind of storm in December. El Niño?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 06:31 AM

Rained a full day (with lightning too) here in San Diego North County, 2 days in a row, and this was the third Wed/Thu rain (pair of days) in a row. Everything is fine, this happens every few years, that we have a lot of rain one year followed by a few years without much rain.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 07:47 AM

all night in pescadero. love it.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 08:26 AM

Just a little bit in Loreto yesterday afternoon.

You know, after all, we are a Pueblo Magico. :biggrin:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 08:42 AM

holy rainstorm....I woke to what I thought was a huge pounding swell...that wasnt forecast but when I saw the flashes I realized it was actually thunder! Lo and behold, it even rained hard for an hour from 4-5am here in Bahia Asuncion where rain is an unusual phenomenon. Thank you rogue rain cell.
Back to sunshine with some residual clouds this morning and a glistening garden! I am so pleased how my roses have come back after the storms in October!

The point is already covered in purple verbena with a wonderful perfume in the air & this soaker will really turn on the flowers! Baja Gyspys's casa smell particularly sweet!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cappy  
Don’t remember this kind of storm in December.

A year ago, in BOLA. Heavy rain for 2 days. Not a non-stop, but heavy. Several hours each time. The neighbor said he didn't remember this kind of storm in December :)...

In 2003 (?), around November, in Mulege, rain turning into hail - soft hail, looked and felt more like a snow. Though my memory isn't good when it comes to weather.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 09:57 AM

We received over .5” of rain from this storm on top of the over 6” from the recent Tropical Storm.

The desert is in full bloom!
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 10:04 AM

A decent amount of rain in rosarito and Tijuana last week and past two days. Not good for the caravan people or broken down homes with pots scattered around the house but epic for cleaning a lot of dirt and junk off the city. As a surfer though, it can leave anytime so I can get back to looking for waves. :)
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 06:47 PM

It does get cold and rainy in Tijuana and Rosarito in winter. Cold even for people from Northern parts of North America.

Caravan people have 2 choices - stay in the South where they belong or freeze their arses off while trying to break the laws of two countries sharing the border in Tijuana.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 04:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cappy  
Started yesterday afternoon. Poured all night. Still raining. Don’t remember this kind of storm in December. El Niño?

This was an unusual case of a low pressure system from the Pacific that didnt take the common winter route from the Gulf of Alaska, down through WA, OR, CA. Bit of a Pineapple Express. This one came ashore in Central/So CA and the front had a long "tail" that trailed well south. There were embedded thunderstorms in this front, so it contained a lot of moisture.

That tail avoided being subjected to a lot of orographic lift, that a conventional winter front would (from the mtns of SoCal into the mtns of Baja). That lift squeezes a lot of moisture out of a front. Orographics are the reason that deserts exist on the east side of mountain ranges on the West Coast.

This was coupled with 24-36 hours of southerly flow immediately preceding the arrival of this front that always increases the amount of moisture in the atmosphere. This southerly flow affected the entire Sea of Cortez and extended onto the peninsula in places. This dramatically increased the chances of rain. It also prolonged the period that rain fell, dramatically. Usually a winter front passing through might take only 3-6 hours (or less) in Cent/SO Baja. The added southern moisture made it linger. It wasnt a fast-moving front to begin with.

It WAS unusual for those two reasons. Usually, southern flow decreases before Pacific winter fronts begin their march, but this is a transitional time of year. The waters in the Sea and further south have remained unseasonably warm so far, as well. That keeps lots of moisture in the air above it.
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 06:13 AM

Thank you for that. Makes sense to me
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
We received over .5” of rain from this storm on top of the over 6” from the recent Tropical Storm.

The desert is in full bloom!

There is nothing more beautiful than the desert in full bloom!!

Linda
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 09:32 PM

City of La Paz just announced that it never has that much rain in total in December - and the month is not even over yet. And let me get personal for a second - David will love this for his "No climate change in Baja" book

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 09:59 PM

Oh, but I say the climate is changing!
It always has and always will... no matter if there are people or not.
I also say the sea level is changing... But it changes over thousands of years. Not any amount that can be troublesome in one, two, three or more generations.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 10:03 PM

I woke to flashing lights but no sound here in La Bocana....lightning show like I have not seen in ages! Our rain was so light - barely washed all the plants.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 10:21 PM

Raining cats and dogs can be .25 inches to some. Anyone have a rain gauge down there? RF-- where are you to get .5?

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 10:35 PM

0.5 to 0.75 inches along Seven Sisters Thursday evening to Friday noon....

Don't believe everything you think....
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 05:25 AM

I had 6 inches of rain in Centenario - had to drain part of my pool water

Harald Pietschmann
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 07:55 AM

Rainbows are so rare here in Bahia Asuncion that when I heard a sprinkling and it was sunny, I ran outside in hopes of seeing one. To my delight, the rainbow ended in our front yard right in the blowhole! Living here is my pot of gold!

great way to start the day!

[Edited on 12-9-2018 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Rainbows are so rare here in Bahia Asuncion that when I heard a sprinkling and it was sunny, I ran outside in hopes of seeing one. To my delight, the rainbow ended in our front yard right in the blowhole! Living here is my pot of gold!

great way to start the day!

[Edited on 12-9-2018 by shari]

Very nice!

Making America Great Again

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.