BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Border Crossing in RV with Dogs
devinecopy5

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 11:40 AM
Border Crossing in RV with Dogs

Hello - So we are a couple crossing the border in a24-foot RV with two big dogs. We already know about the paperwork the dogs need. We will be saying in Baja nine days or so. Here are my questions:

1. Worried about finding a place to park the RV with the dogs whiel we get the FMMs. Could we come down the weekend or night before to do that part, and then not have to park? How would you recommend this? We are happy to do any legwork ahead of time without dogs.

2. Will they inspect the RV crossing the border? I don't really care but the dogs will! Do we take them out of the RV while they are inspecting?

3. Which is the border crossing that takes the least time? We are heading to San Quintin so not too far out of the way.

Thank you!
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 02:21 PM

I travel several times a year with my dog. Never been an issue traveling north or south.Always have documentation and never been asked. Lock your car and take care of your paperwork. Keep a leash handy if they want to go inside the RV. At the slow Military checkpoints further south, I take her out sometimes on a leash,sometimes she just runs around. The Military guys dont mind.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 03:54 PM

It goes pretty quick getting your visa. We keep the windows rolled down a bit. We have a large German Shepard so no one is putting their hand in there.

At the military check points we have our dog on a lead if they ask to look in the cab of the truck. Normally on the way down south they never look inside our camper.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 04:33 PM

1. Far's yer paperwork, at Tecate the office for the FMM's is less than half a block on the right once you walk through the turnstile if you wanna park either day before or morning of your crossing, and is the easiest I think. You pay for your FMM's at a kiosk right next to the office, easy peasy.

2. Chances are slim they'll inspect you when you pull up, but if they do they will probably ask if your dogs are "Bravo" ('brave').... tell 'em "si, un poco" and they usually decide against an inspection, but if they do, the leashes are good to have handy. I travelled with a very large wolf mix for years, and he wouldn't hurt a fly, but it sure cut down on inspection times in the back of the truck.

3. Tecate is my choice if only going to San Quintin. Farther south i'd do Mexicali and head down Hwy 5.

[Edited on 12-23-2018 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 10:08 PM

I always cross at Tecate in my motorhome with 2 dogs. They have never asked for papers and have only given a quick look around if anything. I always take the Baja dog out on a leash, I don't let either one of them out without being on a leash. Every once in a while the military guys will have a dog, it's not a good idea to have your dog running lose, never know what might happen. When they ask does she bite I say "si, tal vez, nunca sabe". Parking on the US side at Tecate and walking across to get your FMM's is a good idea and easy to do. Do not even think of taking highway 5 in your motorhome, you will be sorry.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 11:05 PM

I would advise crossing at San Isidro, ( El Chapparal) border crossing. If they inspect your Motor Home, it should be quick. As said in above post, keep your dogs on a leash during inspections. After you get through that, just pull over to the south side and park where all the buses park, and take care of your FMM's. They are open 24 hrs. At that point leave the dogs in your Locked Motor Home. Fairly quick and easy thing to do. Have fun in Baja.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 09:53 AM

We've traveled down in our RV for the past two years (through Mexicali). Getting your FMMs ahead of time makes it easier. We put our dog in his crate during the inspections. He's a 17# fluffy white dog but the Mexicans all seem afraid he's going to bust out and bite them. Inspections are cursory and his paperwork has never been asked for. If you tow a vehicle they have asked for our registration and check against VIN.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
I would advise crossing at San Isidro, ( El Chapparal) border crossing. If they inspect your Motor Home, it should be quick.

If anything, a RV will trigger an inspection. At Tecate, NB, secondary is automatic. They take eggs, frozen meat, dog food.

At Chapparel couple years ago, in a nondescript Honda CRV, SB, I was detained for an hour. Everything was unpacked, x-rayed the vehicle 3 times, photographed liquor that was placed on the sidewalk (6 pack, couple bottles of wine, liter of tequila). It was a major production for them. Tecate is a breeze.

Could have been a random search -- never going through there again.

Expect the unexpected.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
devinecopy5

[*] posted on 12-23-2018 at 08:56 PM

Thanks all. I think we will get FMMs ahead of time. Will NOT take the 5!

Lee - why would they take dog food? We will be taking alot of dry and canned food (we have 210 pounds of dogs coming) so I would hate it if they took that! Thanks -

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.