Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali to East Cape 12-28-18 in 4x4 Tacoma
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 09:26 AM
Mexicali to East Cape 12-28-18 in 4x4 Tacoma

New crossing at Mexicali is smooth. The new immagration office is to the left with ample parking. However, the way to get onto 5 was a bit confusing. I veered to the left after crossing and there was a sign pointing straight to Carraterra to San Felipe. Then, a mile or so later one comes to a large intersection with the Instituto de Ciencias straight ahead, and a turn to the right. No signage. I ended up going right, which may not have been the correct route, although there was eventually a sign by a gas station to turn to the right for San Felipe, which eventually merged into 5. Likely I took the less direct route, but if one ends up doing what I did, all is not lost!

Road to San Felipe good, but gradually deteriorates to dirt and rocks and many detours around damaged highway, but totally driveable. A Porsche passed me heading north, so where there is a will there is a way!
Road around Gonzaga mostly good.
The route to Chapala is about the same, not bad at all. I used the side tracks as they tended to be sandy and less rocky. I took the left where there is a sign to Coco's corner 4 miles. Last section to Chapala paved.
Highway 1 is in about the best shape ever. No large areas of potholes. Everything is beautifully green with flowers in abundance. Saw many coyotes who looked fat and sassy.
No issues at any checkpoints, including San Ignacio, waved through all of them.

Happy trails!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 12:43 PM

Thank you for sharing these details with us. Happy trails, indeed!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 04:10 PM

Thank you, David.

Do you have any thoughts to add about the route out of Mexicali to connect to 5 to San Felipe? I am still wondering if I took the best route or not?

I had heard many complaints about road conditions on 5, but this is Baja and what would it be without adventure!

To add: not a bad idea to drop tire pressure past Gonzaga to travel this stretch. Llantera right there at Chapala/ highway one to re inflate.

In my opinion, this route is WAY better than crossing at TJ or Tecate.

AND, I remember the 1980s where you could get stuck for days on 1 when arroyos flooded, few bridges, and you would wait for some big machinery to tow you across. So this passage on 5 is really a piece of cake.

Baja_Traveler

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 06:09 PM

Just got back from Gonzaga today. I would say stop at Puertecitos and drop tire pressure there until you hit the 1. Makes the ride much more enjoyable. And I agree - unless I'm going to San Quintin I'll never take the 1 again.
As a side note, twice now crossing south there has not been a soul to be found at the FMM desk in the mornings. Blew it off twice since nobody ever asks as far as Gonzaga Bay, but in 3 months I'm heading to Loreto so I hope they get their act together or I could have problems...
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 06:24 PM

I went across at the new west crossing the day after Christmas and the signs were pretty easy to follow to San Felipe. Crossed there in November and my buddies wife had us going out towards the airport. I realized where we were heading and got on the radio and said right turn Clyde. We hit 5 pretty quick and were on our way. Just work your way south, tend right from the crossing. and you'll see some signs somewhere to get you on 5

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-1-2019 at 07:23 PM

azucena, I have not crossed at Mexicali since the new border opened this past year. On the South Campos Amigos Facebook page, someone posted a map showing the new route, which paralleled the previous one (the one with the train tracks in the center for a few miles). Seems to have rejoined the original Hwy. 5 very near the Costco.

As for the wild complaints about detours on Hwy. 5, seriously, it is Baja and dirt roads are to be expected or should be. Not every location is on a paved road in Baja so one should always travel in a vehicle that can deal with unpaved roads.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.