Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Governor Warns Travelers of Crime in California
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 03:22 PM
Baja Governor Warns Travelers of Crime in California

http://www.mexidata.info/id424.html

March 14, 2005

Eugenio Elorduy, the Governor of Baja California, advised Mexicans traveling to California, in the U.S.A., ?to take precautions? due to the presumed increases in crime detected in some cities of that state.

?We are making a precautionary announcement, for (Mexicans) to take care when crossing into the U.S., particularly California, because we have a report that crime has constantly grown there,? he said during a press conference.

The governor of Baja California, a contiguous state with California, noted that a rise in car thefts has been detected, as well as (robberies) in different shopping centers, and attacks on non-residents.

Just as Washington does in warning U.S. citizens of the risks of traveling to Mexico, Elorduy alerted Mexicans to the danger of traveling to the U.S., and he called for them ?to take precautions.?

The objective is ?for them to take safety measures when they cross [the border], such as not walking alone at night, locking the car when they leave purchases inside, and when going to their cars never go alone with their merchandise because there have been attacks in parking lots,? the governor said.

He specified that the greatest number of robberies have been in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

lol.gif posted on 3-15-2005 at 06:55 PM
Good for him!

About time the Baja governor speaks up...

It is so irritating when I am asked if I am scared of crime when I go to Baja... I ask if they are affraid to go to Los Angeles... ?Because (I say), fewer tourists are harmed in all of Baja than in Los Angeles, each year...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 07:13 PM

Well, chiite David, look at the population of LA. Besides, I always say the crime is horrendous:;).

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 07:23 PM

hurray for the Baja Governor

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PacO
Well, chiite David, look at the population of LA. Besides, I always say the crime is horrendous:;).

Not sure what this means... I was giving a comparrison between an American city that the person asking me probably has gone to and the entire peninsula.

As for population relationships, do you think the entire peninsula's population is that much different that the one city of L.A. ? Tijuana alone is got to be a million by now. Add Mexicali, Ensenada, Rosarito, La Paz, Los Cabos and the rest... I bet Baja has more.

Anyway, the person always respond with "no", they aren't affraid to drive to L.A.... which has more crime in one week (I would bet) than a year in Baja towards tourists.... So, huray for the governor for his bold, yet true statement.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 09:07 PM
Safe in Baja

I'm sure that crime must be much worse in Alta California. I'm sure that the citizens of Tijuana, Ensenada, Mexicali, etc feel completely safe at home and on the streets.
I guess that all of those Wrought Iron fences and gates that everyone who can afford it encloses their property with are just for decorative purposes.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 09:12 PM

To be clear, I did say crime against tourists, as this post was about... The Baja governor was addressing his people traveling north to be carefull... I was saying how it is safer to be a tourist in Baja than in L.A.

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 09:18 PM

It would be interesting to see controlled studies of crime in both Baja and Alta California. For instance, researchers can place bait (perhaps a van with visible goodies inside) at similar locations in both states, (supermarket parking lots, beach access parking, in front of churches, residential and business street-side parking, etc.) hide out with video cameras and take note of what happens. Until these kinds of studies are held, I'm afraid that all we have to try to make our points on the subject is conjecture and anecdotal evidence.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 10:39 PM

That's the funniest G-damn thing I ever read.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
It would be interesting to see controlled studies of crime in both Baja and Alta California. For instance, researchers can place bait (perhaps a van with visible goodies inside) at similar locations in both states, (supermarket parking lots, beach access parking, in front of churches, residential and business street-side parking, etc.) hide out with video cameras and take note of what happens. Until these kinds of studies are held, I'm afraid that all we have to try to make our points on the subject is conjecture and anecdotal evidence.

this sounds like the best Idea yet for a new reality show . I would lick to see it.

[Edited on 3-16-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 07:57 AM

I don't know about the crime part but I would rather drive thru TJ or any other Baja city 10 times a day than drive thru LA on I-5 once.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
And you forgot to mention all the broken glass bottles that are embedded in the top of the 7 or 8 ft. wall around the house.

Two words:

Quilted coats.;D

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 11:08 AM

Do you guys dispense justice or just turn them over to the local mafia...uh, police?

PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 11:17 AM
I should have been clearer...

I was suggesting that proportionately L.A. might not be so dangerous.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PacO
I was suggesting that proportionately L.A. might not be so dangerous.

OK, when was the last time that "proportionately" got robbed?;D

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 11:35 AM

proportionately is my Brother in Law.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.