Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bringing Coffee into Mexico
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 08:35 AM
Bringing Coffee into Mexico

Am I permitted to bring a 12-ounce bag of coffee from the U.S. into Mexico? I've never done so before, as I typically buy a bag from Baja Beans in Pescadero, but I've got a bit of a surplus at the moment, and I'm heading down to Baja in just over a week. I'll be flying, not driving; I'm not sure if that changes the answer.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 08:52 AM

We have never had an issue with bringing in coffee.

We typically bring a dozen (or more) Costco sized bags of whole coffee beans. Mex Customs has never questioned the coffee other than "How long will you be in Mexico? Nine Months. Have a nice visit."

Flying may be different. I have heard of numerous items being questioned at the Los Cabos airport. Good Luck.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 08:59 AM

Over the years we've had a pretty solid streak of not getting hassled at Los Cabos airport but it would be a shame to risk it if coffee is a potential problem. I didn't see it in "banned items", but no one wants to see me try to operate without caffeine.

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 10:02 AM

Always brought ground coffee with us whether flying or driving. Never been questioned. We also bring powdered creamer, a can of tuna or chicken, lemon pepper and other food items in our checked on luggage.
We've done this flying in and out of dozens of airports all over Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Baja, etc.
Never had a problem retrieving our checked in luggage and going through the scanners at any airport, including our carry on(s). They seem more concerned with large shampoo than anything else.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 10:11 AM

I was just directed to this website, which seems to have a fairly comprehensive list of what can and can't be brought into Mexico.

Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 10:15 AM

I bring coffee back from Oaxaca every trip down there. I bring back 3 kilos or so. It's legal and not a problem.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
I bring coffee back from Oaxaca every trip down there. I bring back 3 kilos or so. It's legal and not a problem.

Good to know. I usually rent a casita and leave whatever coffee I purchase for the next guest. In my case I might be bringing coffee both ways.

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 03:47 PM

That website mentions "green coffee" on the prohibited list, but not sure what they mean by that. I've never had anyone question the bags of coffee beans we bring in. You should be fine.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
That website mentions "green coffee" on the prohibited list, but not sure what they mean by that. I've never had anyone question the bags of coffee beans we bring in. You should be fine.

I think "green coffee" means "unroasted". Since I don't roast my own beans, I won't be bringing in green coffee.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 06:10 PM

I bring my big bag of Peet's French Roast every time I cross.
Ron_Perry
Junior Nomad

Mood: yearning for baja

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 08:49 PM
Coffee in Baja

As a long time coffee lover, 42 years of camping Baja, I need to chime in on this most important subject. As a young man in the late 70's I remember plenty....and common Baja truck stop instant coffee. I was even severed instant coffee in restaurants back then in Cabo San Lucas!
We have come a long ways! Long term camping is still my mode of Baja travel. I use a Aero Press camping and ALWAYS bring about a pound of "good" coffee. Never had a problem bringing it down.
And...on the way down I have found a few excellent real coffee stops. In Ciudad Constitution....in the middle of town...on the west side.... on your right if heading south, is a great cup of Americano. Real coffee drinkers ALWAYS supply their own cup...fill er up!
Coming into La Paz from the same direction...the north....on your right...about one mile before the whale tail welcome sign is a GREAT coffee shop. They have everything!
What we need now in Baja is more strong craft beer. I have found a few.....just a little weak! Enjoy the coffee and beer...and tequila! Ron
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2019 at 10:00 PM

I have 25 pounds green beans when going South and roast my own brewing with an Aeropress. No problems yet and don't expect any.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 06:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I have 25 pounds green beans when going South and roast my own brewing with an Aeropress. No problems yet and don't expect any.

Ultimately this will be the way I go - purchasing my own green beans and roasting them at home. Right now I'm buying my roasted beans from Portland, ME 12 to 16 ounces at a time and paying for shipping. As much as I like my roaster, I go through way too much coffee for this model to scale indefinitely.

Getting back to the subject matter of this post: since I'm only visiting for 8 days, I'll likely only need to bring two bags of roasted coffee next week, but more long-term I'll be exploring the idea of roasting my own.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-1-2019 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ron_Perry  

What we need now in Baja is more strong craft beer. I have found a few.....just a little weak! Enjoy the coffee and beer...and tequila! Ron

YES! More craft beer, especially near Mulege and Santa Rosalia!
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 08:30 AM

Just to add to the coffee issue.....

the great cafe 1240 (Docecurenta) on Madero in La Paz, is roasting and selling their own coffee beans now.

I do like the La Choya coffee roaster on Colima in La Paz, my choice Mezcla de Casa $260 per Kilo

time to make a fresh cup now....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ron_Perry  
As a long time coffee lover, 42 years of camping Baja, I need to chime in on this most important subject. As a young man in the late 70's I remember plenty....and common Baja truck stop instant coffee. I was even severed instant coffee in restaurants back then in Cabo San Lucas!
We have come a long ways! Long term camping is still my mode of Baja travel. I use a Aero Press camping and ALWAYS bring about a pound of "good" coffee. Never had a problem bringing it down.
And...on the way down I have found a few excellent real coffee stops. In Ciudad Constitution....in the middle of town...on the west side.... on your right if heading south, is a great cup of Americano. Real coffee drinkers ALWAYS supply their own cup...fill er up!
Coming into La Paz from the same direction...the north....on your right...about one mile before the whale tail welcome sign is a GREAT coffee shop. They have everything!

Sí, Nescafé!

I remember a green jar and a red jar of Nescafé as a kid in the 60s down in Baja... instant coffee, always.
A Bahía de los Angeles' Casa Diaz (when that was all there was, along with the turtle fishermen who lived there, too) was Nescafé on the table but the special ingredient was the spring water! The spring is on the side of the hill above the village (see palms there).
My mom said it was the best coffee, and deducted it was the water that made the instant coffee so good.

Here is the coffee shop "a mile" before the whale tail/ dove, on the right:

The dove of peace (La Paz) or "whale tail"...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
Just to add to the coffee issue.....

the great cafe 1240 (Docecurenta) on Madero in La Paz, is roasting and selling their own coffee beans now.

I do like the La Choya coffee roaster on Colima in La Paz, my choice Mezcla de Casa $260 per Kilo

time to make a fresh cup now....

That would be the ''Twelve Forty'' between 5 de Mayo and Constitucion. Anyone wanting to know what the best taste like, go here. Cafe Exquisito isn't it.

No accounting for taste though. I think most McDonald's NOB is fine, and a friend thinks Folger's in a can is his favorite.

FYI: when Baja Beans in Pescadero stopped roasting at their store, and labeling dates for their roasts, I stopped buying there.

Anyone cupping a week old roast vs. months old will know the difference.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

FYI: when Baja Beans in Pescadero stopped roasting at their store, and labeling dates for their roasts, I stopped buying there.

Anyone cupping a week old roast vs. months old will know the difference.

That's a shame about Baja Beans. Perhaps they've outgrown their roaster? Or have found that it's cheaper to buy beans roasted in volume versus roasting their own in small batches? Decisions like this usually come down to economics.

In any case, it sounds like I won't have any issues bringing my own as long as they're roasted and in an opened package.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Am I permitted to bring a 12-ounce bag of coffee from the U.S. into Mexico? I've never done so before, as I typically buy a bag from Baja Beans in Pescadero, but I've got a bit of a surplus at the moment, and I'm heading down to Baja in just over a week. I'll be flying, not driving; I'm not sure if that changes the answer.

They don't care much about small quantities of store-packaged dry goods. They may get upset when seeing loose grains or dry goods - i.e. in a grocery bag, not a store package.

Chinese packaging is more likely to raise red flags, don't know why, probably because it's harder to tell what it is, and it's hard to trust anything written on their packages anyway. Otherwise, 12-ounce of most any dry goods shouldn't be a problem.

Flying vs driving "usually" changes the game - x-ray machines let them see what you've got, so they are more prone to come down on you. Not likely to happen with a small pack of coffee.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.