BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HWY. 5 on JAN 21 '19: DashCam of San Felipe SOUTH to HWY. 1 and on to Guerrero Negro
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 12:49 AM
HWY. 5 on JAN 21 '19: DashCam of San Felipe SOUTH to HWY. 1 and on to Guerrero Negro

Thank you Baja Dirk!
This is a dash cam at high speed so just stop to have a close look... bighorn sheep along the road he spun the camera around to see!
See the detours and judge for yourself.
He took the Coco's Bypass which is the route of the new highway which detours down to the old road as you near the canyon section.
It also isn't necessary to detour off the added pavement 12+ miles south of Gonzaga (Km. 167+) as the video shows, as the bridges beyond are fine.
I emailed with the video maker and he agreed and came back staying on the newest part.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 09:43 AM

"It also isn't necessary to detour off the added pavement 12+ miles south of Gonzaga (Km. 167+) as the video shows, as the bridges beyond are fine"

Is this beyond the right hand turn, where pre bridge traffic went?

How far south on the pavement can one get, from the previously used right, before having to jump off the pavement and back on the dirt?

Going north, where is the entry to this pavement, in miles, from Coco's corner?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
"It also isn't necessary to detour off the added pavement 12+ miles south of Gonzaga (Km. 167+) as the video shows, as the bridges beyond are fine"

Is this beyond the right hand turn, where pre bridge traffic went?

How far south on the pavement can one get, from the previously used right, before having to jump off the pavement and back on the dirt?

Going north, where is the entry to this pavement, in miles, from Coco's corner?

20 kms south of the Gonzaga Pemex is where the longtime detour (right) onto the old road is located, but, as I reported in my August 2018 TRIP #8 report, you can continue straight on the paving (which does end in a mile, past the Km. 168 marker) as the bridges are complete. The video clip above shows Dirk turning on the detour even though the barrier to continue ahead is gone. On his return north, he stayed on the new roadbed and discovered it was fine to drive. So northbound, just stay on the new roadbed all the way north from Las Arrastras (Las Arrastras is 4 miles north of Coco's if you are using the older route northbound).

See my TRIP #8 report for sat maps and more of this.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 11:32 AM

Ok good deal.

I will be NB on that road Sunday via Cocos corner.

Any respite from the rough dirt will be welcome

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 11:43 AM

What are you driving?
You could take the new highway that bypasses Coco's for a shorter drive unless you want to see Coco if you are in an SUV or truck.

PS: The split between the newest paved southbound and the detour is at minute 9:52 in the video, he stops to decide/ read the sign.

He rejoined the new roadbed at 10:45. When you are northbound, this is where you would stay on the new roadbed.

At 11:26 is where the older road via Coco's Corner branches off to the left (this is by Las Arrastras) and is signed for Coco's.

At 12:20 is where the detour off the new roadbed, down left to the older road is (just under a mile to the old road). Join older road at 12:38.

Around 13:35, after a long pause, he captures bighorn sheep along the road then running away.

At 13:44 paving begins.

At 14:10 the paving ends and rejoin older road (1 mile from Hwy. 1)

At 14:17 reach Hwy. 1.

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by David K]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2019 at 01:25 PM

Dodge 4x4 2500

I have been on MX 5 many times before.
It is the way I get from Loreto to San Flip, San Luis, Yuma, and north on AZ/CA/NV 95 to Las Vegas.

Time is not a concern, as much as a bit easier over the roadbed experience is.

The last time I was on the "bypass" it was narrow and rough as cob. I took that route in a moment of "which way do I go now"

If that roadbed has smoothed out some, I would go that way.
I can avoid some of the washboard and rough, with the side cuts in sand north of Cocos.

Will recheck the video

Thank you

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.