Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sweet Mexican Charity
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 07:03 AM
Sweet Mexican Charity

The people of the village held a dinner last night. It was a charity event. My gringo neighbors turned out in record numbers and gave generously. I was proud to see it. We grow complacent ? secure in the knowledge that this little place has all we need; a church, schools, a few small tiendas. A small medical clinic provides prenatal care and gives relief of pain, succor and advice to the infirm and aged. We have a splendid cemetery.

What we lack is a Velatorio.

Over $2,500 dollars was raised to complete work on a Velatorio, a place to view the dead. Life has special value here ? it saddens everyone that without a Velatorio bereaved families may have only a shady place or small patio in which to place the coffin, say goodbye in quiet reverence. Rude wind gusts blow out the candles, raise gritty dust that settles on the cask and on the small wooden chairs in tidy rows around the dirt yards. At times the silence is torn by the barking of dogs, the dull drone of a big truck engine. Soon they will have a quiet, hallowed place to pay their final respects.

There is a quiet, rustic dignity in this place that has washed over us, changed us all a little. I think the longer we live here the more changes I see in my fellow extranjeros ? the village has the power to wear away the crusty casings of our hearts one thin layer after another.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 07:57 AM

Osprey

Where do you live and how many ex-pats live in the village? It sounds like you live in the hills somewhere away from any city. Good job with the Funeraria!

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2005 at 08:23 AM
Charity

Lips

I live in La Ribera, a small village right on the beach 60 miles north of Cabo San Lucas on the Sea of Cortez side. About 2000 people -- maybe 150 gringos now.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.