BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How low can one man go???
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 06:56 PM
How low can one man go???

Sort of almost Baja, but needs to be aired....
Seems that a top US golfer, Matt Kuchar (winner of over $40 million in his career) won the big tournament in Cancun in November using a local caddy. PGA Tour protocol says caddy gets 10% on a win, and Mr. K gets $1.4 million. Most Tour guys have a regular caddy, for whatever reason (probably to save travel expenses) he has a local who know doubt knows the course well. Mr. Wonderful takes the trophy and hands his local guy, one David Ortiz "an envelope stuffed with dollar bills."
Turns out he paid a total of, are your ready...... $5,000. Instead of the expected $140,000.
Comment when finally all this comes out and he starts catching a load of crap......"For a guy who makes $200 a day, a $5000 week is a really big week."
I am hearing that the fans at Pacific Palisades this weekend really hooted at him.
And next week the big tournament is in Mexico City where he is one of the top picks,
Wish I liked golf. I would attend some of his tournaments and yell and hiss every time he lifted into his backstroke.

Oh, after a lot of criticism and verbiage thrown his way he has magnanimously raised the fee to $50k.
Big Whoop!!!
Chup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 07:05 PM

Wow..so Baja related.

Hurricane devastated roads...Insecurity in Mulege area...Fishing reports....FMM not gotten at the border...Checkpoint asholes...fishing license...Beers per can prices...

Yeah...Baja man.:barf:

[Edited on 2-18-2019 by Chup]

[Edited on 2-18-2019 by Chup]
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 07:17 PM

As is usual, there is more to the story. Kuchars regular caddy couldn’t make it, so he had to use a local on short notice. David Ortiz filled in and actually negotiated his own deal on his own terms with Kuchar. It was a progressive deal with escalating amounts all the way from making the cut for the tournament and placing all the way up to winning and they both agreed on the amounts. Sounds fair enough as Kuchar didn’t have any first hand knowledge of Ortiz’s talents. After Kuchars won the tournament other “clubhouse lawyers” convinced Ortiz he had been screwed and that started the arguement. At that point Kuchar ponyed up some more cash over what Ortiz originally agreed to and Ortiz was agreeable with the amount. That of course is if Stormy Daniels attorney Michael Avenetti doesn’t get involved and represent Ortiz and change the deal again.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 07:27 PM

Kuch is truly one of the really good guys on tour and extremely generous to childrens charities.......he effed up, apologized, ponied up, end of story:D
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 10:15 PM

GOLF..... is a good walk......

SPOILED.

........ Mark Twain

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 06:27 AM

My friend's dad carried a bag of clubs for Bob Hope one day at Riviera, where he worked as a caddy (late 1950's). After the round of golf, Bob Hope gave him a tip, one dollar. This was a silver dollar, but still, only a dollar. Bob Hope was one of the richest men in America at the time.

My friend's dad tossed that silver dollar in the closest water hazard. He was shocked and disgusted at what a cheap bastid Bob Hope really was.

John

[Edited on 2-18-2019 by John Harper]
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 10:04 AM

I followed Bob Hope at the Riviera during a pro am on a Wednesday prior to the start of the tournament on Thursday. He was by himself when I approached him with my girlfriend and asked if I could take a photo of him with her. He gave me a look like I was asking for a million dollars. I grabbed my girlfriend and as we started to walk away I told him to eat chit.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 10:43 AM
USO tours

I saw Bob Hope's show in Korea in 1969! He probably gave more of his time to entertaining US troops than any celebrity before, or since then!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 10:55 AM
Those Silver Days

Given the scarcity and value of Silver Dollars nowadays, the younger among us have no idea how common they were in the 1950s. Including Baja.

My father used to get Silver Dollars cashing in his bets at Agua Caliente race track or the Jai Alai Palace in Tijuana and then buy a tooled-leather purse as a present to placate my Mom.

They were commonplace in Las Vegas, too.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 10:55 AM

Bob Hope gives a dirty look and he's an a$$hole. Tips a caddy a buck and he's a cheap basturd.

I was not a Hope fan. My impression is he did more good than bad. Tough crowd. Nobody's perfect.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 11:16 AM

Back to Kooch
Go on line and read the comments
Lancair man, I fail to find Avenatti in those posts.
Meanwhile, after three months and some light shined on the deal, Mr. Kooch is backing down, like big time (not big enough IMO)

Heading to DF for the World Champ this week
Maybe he can take a bag of beads, baubles and trinkets and hire another local for a real bargain price.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 12:00 PM

I have zero sympathy for a person who makes a deal and then backs out on it. The comments are largely from those who are clueless as to the facts of this deal and as always know how to spend others money. Kuchar has a regular caddy and is not known for shopping around for some local to stiff as you seem to imply. In fact, his charitable contributions are considerable. Sounds like the bleating of someone who thinks Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos or Warren Buffett somehow owes them something or needs advice on how to spread their money around. These people haven’t taken your piece of the pie, they have simply made a bigger pie.
Not surprised you missed the point of the comment about Avanetti. I won’t try to explain.

[Edited on 2-18-2019 by LancairDriver]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
My friend's dad carried a bag of clubs for Bob Hope one day at Riviera, where he worked as a caddy (late 1950's). After the round of golf, Bob Hope gave him a tip, one dollar. This was a silver dollar, but still, only a dollar. Bob Hope was one of the richest men in America at the time.

My friend's dad tossed that silver dollar in the closest water hazard. He was shocked and disgusted at what a cheap bastid Bob Hope really was.

John

[Edited on 2-18-2019 by John Harper]

Went $1 a fair tip in 1950s?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 12:37 PM
Getting a Buck's Worth

There were a LOT of people living on a $1.00 hourly wage in the late 50s.

Summertime, a Dollar used to get me (on the Bus) from South L.A. to Hermosa Beach and back along with a Hot Dog, Fries and drink for lunch.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-19-2019 at 08:33 AM

Why when I was a lad.........

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2019 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Why when I was a lad.........

so - 4 hour round - guy made a quarter an hour! probably needed a wheel barrow to carry home all that cash!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2019 at 03:24 PM
A Buck back then .....................

$1.00 in 1958 would be equal to $8.71 today.

Knowing nothing about caddie compensation (or, for that matter, Golf) if it was a Tip, the assumption would be that it was "in addition to .......... a wage" ?

Or Not ?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.