Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A callout to those that love Baja
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-20-2019 at 11:14 PM
A callout to those that love Baja

There are many of us here that love Baja and those that live there. Some of us have have charities that we support. We don't say much about what we do, we just do it.

This is a tough time of the year for many of the charities. We tend to forget them after the holidays. I am sure The grandpa's can use a little love. Blanca's kids can use a bit of money to get into college. I know of church that can use some tarps to help out keep the rain out. I am sure Coco would love a orange or a apple. The list goes on.
If you are heading south and can help out, please do so. If you want to send money or stuff, please step up. Lots of people give for the holidays and forget the rest of the year.

There are some that dominate this site and their idea of giving is posting here about Baja. They should help out those that live in Baja and are just getting by.

Please, let's help out where we can. If you make a difference and post it here, God bless you. If you make a difference and keep it to yourself. God bless you too
Please just help out when and where you can!!!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 02:16 AM

Thanks.
As I prepare to move there fulltime I am beginning to think of this issue.
I am starting to view Baja as my home and my community.
I care.

Blanca's kids
Antonio's Desert Hawks
I'm sure there are others...

It's heartwarming to know that these good people are working hard to improve lives and help meet needs.
Very inspirational.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 06:22 AM

Doing good does not require self-promotion or shouting from the rooftops.

Maybe it is inappropriate to ask others to donate, or toute another groups needs to promote our own charitable efforts.

Perhaps, people should "mind their own business" and "keep it to yourself" while pursuing their charitable activities and do not use this site to fund raise, self-promote or otherwise draw attention to their charity.

Those who do the most, say the least.

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 06:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

Maybe it is inappropriate to ask others to donate, or toute another groups needs to promote our own charitable efforts.

Perhaps, people should "mind their own business" and "keep it to yourself" while pursuing their charitable activities and do not use this site to fund raise, self-promote or otherwise draw attention to their charity.

Actually... Networking is a great method!
I love it when those who actually build the brick and mortar services let it be known of the need for bricks and mortar. Asking those who deliver such to spread the word of the need is how success is realized.

I know also of a man here in San Diego who delivers tarps to the river neighborhoods of Otay for protection from the rains. If you want to call me a self-promoter while I inform others of his need for tarps than so be it. Teaching is how others learn...call it show and tell.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 08:30 AM

Way to go Mike. Networking is really the only way to make a little go very far! I hope all of you realize that together (I could never have done this alone) we have already put 4 kids through COLLEGE?

When you think about it, it is positively, absolutely astounding that 4 kids are now forever lifted from extreme poverty because of you and me. I feel humbled by this. And if any of you think it is fun to ask for money, trust me on this, it ain't fun at all.

Also, I don't mention it, but I have reached long and far for help. When I taught ESL (English as a Second Language) in San Diego, I got close to 2 students who have supported the college scholarship project from the get-go. One is originally from Puerto Rico and she is a student tuition sponsor. She has covered tuition for 3 years now for law student Olimpia. Another Italian ex-student helped pay for dental work in the very beginning with the very first candidates. I just wrote to her to give her an update on them. My college friends helped with all the sports clubs - the surf club and the bike club. By the way, the bike club just restarted at the middle school!

My Mom has been my greatest supporter. She spends so much on anything I need for my "kids". She goes to garage sales and finagles clothes and shoes and goodies galore for the xmas boxes for all the college students.

Thank you Mike for speaking out on our behalf.

Thank you all who donate school material, laptops, clothes and of course the much needed cash. I also LOVE when you write kind words, and especially I love visits!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 09:50 AM

I agree with most of what you say.

This time of year things get thin for those that are in need. My post was to hopefully remind that there is a need. I ask those that I help not to to use my name for what I do.

If it's inappropriate to remind people there is a need, than I am inappropriate. The goal is to point out there is a real need. This is a very busy time for Baja and if I can inspire somebody to give a bit, I will speak up.

I do post what I do for The Grandpa's hoping that others will give to them also. There is a very real need there. The rest of the charity that I participate in is between myself and them.

I highlighted a couple of charities that came to mind off the top of my head. There are so many that can use help.

[Edited on 2-21-2019 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 11:41 AM

No specific "self promotion" detected on this post. All I see is a heartfelt reminder to folks to do the "random act of kindness" Always someone out there to fling the wet blanket, verdad?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 12:18 PM

My kids grew up in the Door of Faith Orphanage
They started this Baja based charity many years ago to "give back"
I don't know of a more valid or worthwhile organization!!

Give the website a long look
Hilda is the real deal

https://www.corazondevida.org/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 10:39 PM

Yes and no. Sometimes people discover something that they alone cannot support. I will never regret pushing Penny into allowing me to start promoting the needs of her grandpas. She could not do it alone. It was difficult for her to ask for help. The difference between the home she found and today is wonderful, but they still have lots of needs. So many here have helped

So yes, many who do the most, say the least, but sometimes the need is more than one can handle. I know that if Blanca could handle her project all by herself, she would. Thus, she gives others the opportunity to participate and that is a good thing.

Networking is a good thing; but there will always be the ones who only ask for goodies for themselves. Donor beware.

I seldom even check in here anymore, but I am glad I did. Thank you MMC

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 10:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
My kids grew up in the Door of Faith Orphanage
They started this Baja based charity many years ago to "give back"
I don't know of a more valid or worthwhile organization!!

Give the website a long look
Hilda is the real deal

https://www.corazondevida.org/

Thanks for the link.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.